This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Radio Program on Balanchine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Broadcast on 12 Feb.2013

http://www.kuow.org/...anchine-ballets

An interesting discussion of how the steps are recorded, and passed on.

#2 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thank you, Jayne, for posting this. Posted Image I'll read this over the weekend.

#3 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

It's worth listening to the audio, too, where Russell defines what a "stager" is more pointedly than the on-screen text does, although that does give the gist of the broadcast item pretty well, and in some of the same phrases.

Russell says, around four minutes into the clip, that

[size=4]A stager is someone who should have all the information, [/size]including[size=4] the choreographer's intentions, 'cause just the steps without the intentions of the choreographer is - rather meaningless, and then also be able to oversee the lighting, the costumes, the orchestra, be responsible for every aspect of the production.

[/size]
[size=4]Some stagings are undercut, in my opinion, by "contemporary" (i.e., dim) lighting, for example, or other inauthentic or inappropriate alterations. [/size]Brava[size=4] to Francia Russell for taking this comprehensive view of her responsibility.[/size]

The item has a nice little slide show, too.

Thank you for the post, Jayne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):