This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Russia Freezes Vladimir Kekhman's Assets

http://www.artsjournal.com/arts.journal1/2013/02/russia.freezes/shtml

St. Petersburg bailiffs froze real estate and cash belonging to Vladimir Kekhman, the head of Russia’s biggest banana importer and director of the Mikhailovsky theater, over a debt of more than 3 billion rubles ($100 million)....Russian police searched Kekhman’s offices at the Mikhailovsky opera and ballet theater and JFC’s headquarters during an investigation of alleged loan fraud resulting in losses to JFC’s creditors of about 10 billion rubles, the Interior Ministry said in a statement on its website Jan. 24.

Could these developments at the Mik in part help to explain why Osipova and Vasiliev have agreed to appear w. the Bolshoi in London this summer in Flames of Paris, or can we assume that the London presenter of the Bolshoi made it worth their effort.

Interesting question: The latter is highly unlikely and at one point it was made clear by the Bolshoi that they wouldn't be wanted back. Frankly I'm surprised they are dancing at all.

Another reason why Mr. Duato has jumped to Berlin?

Cubanmiamiboy - the Maly/Mikhailovsky has been around and doing fine since the time of the Czars. Its offerings may have been humbler (less glitzy) before Kekhman came along but, IMHO, it was a more charming and high-quality (elegant) ballet company back then, pre-2006. Maybe the auditorium's classy muted colors and soft lighting will be restored to pre-Kekhman days, not to mention the purer repertoire?

re. Mashinka's thoughts on Osipova/Vasiliev and the Bolshoi connection - Frankly, 'Bolshoi-Kekhman Tensions' were the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about the Filin incident. Not Tsiskaridze or any other thing.

Is the Mikhailovsky still planning to appear in London next month/early April? I'll be in Paris at that time and was considering taking the Chunnel Train to London for a couple of days. I can't, in good conscience, buy a ticket for anything related to Kekhman and the Mik, sorry.

Yes, they are still scheduled to come, but I'll buy tickets at the last moment. Here's the programmimg for those interested:

Giselle 26th - 29th March

Tuesday 26th March, 7.30pm - Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev

Wednesday 27th March, 7.30pm - Polina Seminova, Marcelo Gomes

Thursday 28th March, 7.30pm - Polina Seminova, Marcelo Gomes

Friday 29th March, 7.30pm - Olesya Novikova, Leonid Sarafanov

Don Quixote 30th - 31st March

Saturday 30th March, 7.30pm - Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev

Sunday 31st March, 3pm - Oksana Bondareva, Denis Matvienko

Sunday 31st March, 7.30pm - Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev

Laurencia 2nd & 3rd April

Tuesday 2nd April, 7.30pm - Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev

Wednesday 3rd April, 7.30pm - Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev

Modern Bills 5th, 6th, 7th April

As the classical stuff coincides with the Easter weekend, I doubt if any places will be left on Eurostar by now.

Can I say that I'm disappointed that the lion's share of performances are going to O & V with Novikova, Matvienko and Sarafanov just getting one classical role each. There is footage of Ivan Vasiliev dancing in Giselle on the internet. He is not my idea of Albrecht at all.

ITA, Mashinka. It's a great line-up of stars, even though most -- if not all -- of the casted principals are either recent-joiners or guests. Where are the troupe's long-time principals...the ones who made their careers at the old Maly (now Mikhailovsky)? Irina Perren is on maternity leave but...what about the others?

I'm something of a fan of Sabina Yapporova as I watched her early career with StPBT where she rose through the ranks to dancing O/O's. Last time Mikhailovsky came to London she even had a leading role (in Cipollino). My choice of tickets will take into account which supporting roles she is given.

re. Mashinka's thoughts on Osipova/Vasiliev and the Bolshoi connection - Frankly, 'Bolshoi-Kekhman Tensions' were the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about the Filin incident. Not Tsiskaridze or any other thing.

Considering that the Bolshoi lost Osipova and Vasiliev to Kekhman, wouldn't you'd have expected the attack to be the other way around, if this were the root cause?

That makes little sense to me. Typically, tycoons who make a bundle in business and try to cleanse themselves and the origins of their money through involvement in the arts don't risk sullying it through physical attacks. I also don't see how Kekhman would be anywhere close in line for the Bolshoi throne, since the tactic hasn't made everyone shy away from wanting the position.

Gomes has withdrawn from the tour of the Mik to London due to injury. He will be replaced by Denis Matvienko as Semionova's partner in Giselle.

Terrible news! I hope it's not serious and he's back in good health for the spring season in the U.S. He's still listed for the April Kennedy Center engagements, although they'd probably not be in a hurry to announce a substitution.

He's also still listed for the Mar 23 single performance that ABT has in Florida. However, his role is merely to partner Kent in the SL adagio pdd, which does not require any jumping or spinning. Even with an injury he could still do that role. I don't know the nature or extent of his injury, but an ABT Met season without him would certainly be a big let down.

He's also still listed for the Mar 23 single performance that ABT has in Florida. However, his role is merely to partner Kent in the SL adagio pdd, which does not require any jumping or spinning. Even with an injury he could still do that role. I don't know the nature or extent of his injury, but an ABT Met season without him would certainly be a big let down.

I assume that this review will be posted in the daily reports section, but for now just note that Gomes did perform March 23 with Kent in Swan Lake.

http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/news/news/national/abt-performance-professional-joyful/nW3Fj/