• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

Perhaps it is a difference between a European and an American approach to programming? I think here in the US, we have a tendency to put something serious or dark as the second act and a crowd pleaser for the third act... Although sometimes the second act uses some pas de deux. I'm trying to think of how to describe a typical first act... usually something that is not a stretch for the audience... The stretch is used for the second act...Perhaps a recognized masterpiece?

I'm looking now at NYCB's spring calendar, and perhaps it's a model not used much any more... Looks like Martins sometimes puts a stretch in the first act and some times a crowd pleaser in the first act, but the third is usually something that closes big & bright. http://www.nycballet...oryCalendar.pdf

You know what? I take it back. I thought this was the usual model but looking around at various US company websites, I see it still happens but is by no means the standard structure. Perhaps it was once more prevalent.

#17 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

I remember reading somewhere that Balanchine believed that a program should be designed like a meal - an appetizer, main course and dessert. Not a bad metaphor!

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,219 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Sometimes programs are like Oreo cookies: big ballets to open and close, and some sweet pas de deux in the middle. Alternately, the first work is to ease in the eye and ear, with the new, difficult or controversial one in the middle, with a very popular draw to close, so the audience isn't tempted to come late or miss the program altogether and wants to stay for the last. The medicine goes in the middle.

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I am rather surprised to see Agnes de Mille's Fall River Legend revived. I saw this ballet about LIzzie Borden quite a bit when performed by the Royal Winnipeg Ballet in the 70s (I was only 10!). Has anyone else performed it recently?

ABT does it occasionally; or did, rather, when they were doing longer Fall seasons. I hope we can get a film out of it with POB doing it

Dance Theater of Harlem used to perform it, and included it on one of their videos

#20 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

Cullberg/De Mille   I am happy to have got a ticket to see Aurelie Dupont and Nicholas Le Riche in Miss Julie, on 12/3/2014,  however it is a bit confusing on the Opera site regarding which ballet will be performed first. Can anyone advise  if it is  Miss Julie first  then  Fall River Legend last. When you check the distributions  it comes up the other way round.     Thank you.

#21 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Fall River Legend is danced first

#22 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Some video of Isabelle Ciaravola's final bow at the Palais Garnier this evening. She is still scheduled to dance two performances of The Lady of the Camellias on tour in Japan with the POB later this month.

#23 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

A photographic summary of the POB season coming to a close tonight.

http://www.operadepa...hique-2013-2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):