This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

POB 2013-2014 season

RSSS

Thank you very much Silvermash. I hope when the time comes, you could shed some light of the casting list and when they will perform. Especially for Agnès Letestu: my ultimate goal is to see her one more time during her farewell performance. Surprised about Ciaravola; I always thought she was somewhere in her early 30s. Her retirement happens so soon, to me it feels like she just got recently promoted to étoile (2009 doesn't sound so long ago).

Casting is always late with POB but usually farewell performance is known early. One can also suppose Agnès Letestu will Premiere the ballet especially since she said she will dance with Stéphane Bullion.

Her next appearances this season should be in Neumeier's Third symphony of Gustav Mahler and Lacotte's La Sylphide in Paris and she will go on tour in Japan to dance in the Children of Paradise in May.

She will also dance Nikiya in an excerpt of Bayadère with Stéphane Bullion to end the Tribute to Nureyev at the beginning of next month.

I am rather surprised to see Agnes de Mille's Fall River Legend revived. I saw this ballet about LIzzie Borden quite a bit when performed by the Royal Winnipeg Ballet in the 70s (I was only 10!). Has anyone else performed it recently?

It entered POB repertoire in 1996. It seems it's the only season it was danced...

I am rather surprised to see Agnes de Mille's Fall River Legend revived. I saw this ballet about LIzzie Borden quite a bit when performed by the Royal Winnipeg Ballet in the 70s (I was only 10!). Has anyone else performed it recently?

ABT does it occasionally; or did, rather, when they were doing longer Fall seasons. I hope we can get a film out of it with POB doing it

I think the the pairings of like choreographers together is an interesting approach (if Ratmansky & Robbins can be considered both theatrical, and Cullberg & the DeMille can be considered both psychological?). Usually split bills try for a mix rather than similarity, don't they? Or am I over simplifying again?

I think the the pairings of like choreographers together is an interesting approach (if Ratmansky & Robbins can be considered both theatrical, and Cullberg & the DeMille can be considered both psychological?). Usually split bills try for a mix rather than similarity, don't they? Or am I over simplifying again?

Really? I always thought it was the opposite and POB always tries to link, at least intellectually, the ballets in mixed bills. I remember quite a few times it was obvious it wasn't and huge complaints came from the audience... I have in mind a Balanchine/Noureev/ Forysthe bill or last year Robbins/Ek... Anyway, Psyche has little to do with Dances at a gathering I think.

Perhaps it is a difference between a European and an American approach to programming? I think here in the US, we have a tendency to put something serious or dark as the second act and a crowd pleaser for the third act... Although sometimes the second act uses some pas de deux. I'm trying to think of how to describe a typical first act... usually something that is not a stretch for the audience... The stretch is used for the second act...Perhaps a recognized masterpiece?

I'm looking now at NYCB's spring calendar, and perhaps it's a model not used much any more... Looks like Martins sometimes puts a stretch in the first act and some times a crowd pleaser in the first act, but the third is usually something that closes big & bright. http://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/MarketingSeasonCalendars/NYCBSpring2013RepertoryCalendar.pdf

You know what? I take it back. I thought this was the usual model but looking around at various US company websites, I see it still happens but is by no means the standard structure. Perhaps it was once more prevalent.

Sometimes programs are like Oreo cookies: big ballets to open and close, and some sweet pas de deux in the middle. Alternately, the first work is to ease in the eye and ear, with the new, difficult or controversial one in the middle, with a very popular draw to close, so the audience isn't tempted to come late or miss the program altogether and wants to stay for the last. The medicine goes in the middle.

ABT does it occasionally; or did, rather, when they were doing longer Fall seasons. I hope we can get a film out of it with POB doing it

Dance Theater of Harlem used to perform it, and included it on one of their videos

Cullberg/De Mille I am happy to have got a ticket to see Aurelie Dupont and Nicholas Le Riche in Miss Julie, on 12/3/2014, however it is a bit confusing on the Opera site regarding which ballet will be performed first. Can anyone advise if it is Miss Julie first then Fall River Legend last. When you check the distributions it comes up the other way round. Thank you.