This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saratoga Performing Arts Center's NYCB schedule

Hello, Everyone,

SPAC has released NYCB's performance schedule. Now that the company is here only for one weekmad.gif , there are, IMO, too many repeats (Year of the Rabbit THREE times?). Also, the following week, National Ballet of Canada visits for four performances, July 16-18, three of which is Giselle. July 24-25 is Aspen Santa Fe Ballet for three performances. Tickets are not yet on sale. Visit spac.org for additional information.

Any thoughts, members, about this schedule? ~ Karen

Tuesday, July 9 / 8:00 PM

New York City Ballet - Opening Night

OPENING NIGHT

Garland Dance (from The Sleeping Beauty) (Tschaikovsky/Balanchine)

Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux (Tchaikovsky/Balanchine)

Year of the Rabbit (Stevens/Peck)

Opus 19/The Dreamer (Prokofiev/Robbins)

Theme and Variations (Tchaikovsky/Balanchine)

Wednesday, July 10 / 8:00 PM

New York City Ballet - Mixed Repertory

MIXED REPERTORY

Serenade (Tschaikovsky/Balanchine)

Garland Dance (From The Sleeping Beauty) (Tschaikovsky/Balanchine)

After the Rain Pas de Deux (Pärt/Wheeldon)

Theme and Variations (Tschaikovsky/Balanchine)

"American Girl Night"

"Instrument Petting Zoo" Sponsored by The Alfred Z. Solomon Foundation

Thursday, July 11 / 2:00 PM

New York City Ballet - Martins / Robbins / Balanchine

MARTINS/ROBBINS/BALANCHINE

Barber Violin Concerto (Barber/Martins)

Opus 19/The Dreamer (Prokofiev/Robbins)

Stravinsky Violin Concerto (Stravinsky/Balanchine)

Thursday, July 11 / 8:00 PM

New York City Ballet - All Balanchine

All Balanchine

The Sage Colleges "Date Night"

Friday, July 12 / 8:00 PM

MIXED REPERTORY

Hallelujah Junction (Adams/Martins)

Dances at a Gathering (Chopin/Robbins)

CDPHP "Family Night"

Albany Medical Center's "Children's Workshop on the Lawn"

Saturday, July 13 / 2:00 PM

MIXED REPERTORY

Garland Dance (From The Sleeping Beauty)(Tschaikovsky/Balanchine)

Saturday, July 13 / 8:00 PM

New York City Ballet - The Ballet Gala: "The Ruby Ball"

THE BALLET GALA: "THE RUBY BALL"

Bal de Couture (Tschaikovsky/Martins)

This Bitter Earth (Washington and Richter/Wheeldon)

Rubies (Stravinsky/Balanchine)

West Side Story Suite (Bernstein/Robbins)

It seemed to me that they are packing a lot of expensive ballets into one week. Just transporting the Valentino costumes alone will cost a pretty penny. And transporting all the children for Garland Dance seems expensive - unless they assume they'll sell lots of tickets to accompanying parents? Given the reduction in schedule, I suppose they want to pack the house and at least not lose money to help their arguments for future seasons? I'm curious if others had the same reaction.

It seemed to me that they are packing a lot of expensive ballets into one week. Just transporting the Valentino costumes alone will cost a pretty penny. And transporting all the children for Garland Dance seems expensive - unless they assume they'll sell lots of tickets to accompanying parents? Given the reduction in schedule, I suppose they want to pack the house and at least not lose money to help their arguments for future seasons? I'm curious if others had the same reaction.

Last time I was in Saratoga, they used local ballet school students for Circus Polka, they didn't bring them from NY. I suspect they will do the same for Garland Dance.

Why would transporting the Valentino costumes cost any more than any other ballet's, especially when you've got a truck loaded up anyway with other rep?

I don't think the insurance would be higher for the Bal de Couture costumes. They were executed in house by the NYCB costume department. Valentino probably owns the copyright to the designs, but it is doubtful that he owns the dresses. They regularly transport expensive, elaborate costumes to Saratoga.

Last time I was in Saratoga, they used local ballet school students for Circus Polka, they didn't bring them from NY. I suspect they will do the same for Garland Dance.

Why would transporting the Valentino costumes cost any more than any other ballet's, especially when you've got a truck loaded up anyway with other rep?

My understanding of NYCB's practices at SPAC with students is that they do audition and select local students to perform, but SAB students almost always perform there. As for bringing the sets and costumes up there, NYCB performs all (or almost all) of its ballets at SPAC. Last year, a local newspaper article mentioned, when NYCB arrived in town, the number of trailers containing sets and costumes! Can't remember exactly, but it was something like, I don't know, 20.....

My understanding of NYCB's practices at SPAC with students is that they do audition and select local students to perform, but SAB students almost always perform there. As for bringing the sets and costumes up there, NYCB performs all (or almost all) of its ballets at SPAC. Last year, a local newspaper article mentioned, when NYCB arrived in town, the number of trailers containing sets and costumes! Can't remember exactly, but it was something like, I don't know, 20.....

Hi AlbanyGirl,

I'm organizing a group trip to Saratoga for the NYCB weekend, so hopefully you and I might get a chance to meet!

Hi AlbanyGirl,

I'm organizing a group trip to Saratoga for the NYCB weekend, so hopefully you and I might get a chance to meet!

Hi Kbarber, Thank you, that would be great! I'd love to meet you and my other friends at Ballet Talk. We can talk soon about that.

When I was an SAB student I performed at SPAC. The NYCB Children's Ballet Mistress invited SAB students to rehearse and perform there. There was also an audition in Saratoga for local students although some of those selected came from as far away as Vermont and Pittsburgh. We were told that Balanchine thought it was important that local students be included in performances and therefore there was always a piece including children in the repetory.

A few thoughts to share on this thread. As many of you probably know, SPAC has been NYCB's official summer residence since 1966, almost 50 years! As far as I know, it's the only such summer residence in the US for a major ballet company. SPAC opened July 9, 1966 with a performance of Balanchine's A Midsummer Night's Dream. SPAC is also home to the Philadelphia Orchestra for three weeks every August. NYCB and the PO perform in the main amphitheater, along with performances of opera, modern dance, the Freihofer's Jazz Festival and many, many popular artists. SPAC also hosts the Saratoga Chamber Music Festival, which performs in the Little Theatre.

NYCB's residency was originally four weeks, then three weeks for years and years and then, in 2011, I think, the schedule was reduced to only two weeks, which dismayed and alarmed so many of us subscribers and attendees devoted to this world-class company. And now, in 2013, NYCB is here for only 5 days, 7 performances. The PO has also seen its schedule reduced from 5 days to 4, but they are still here for 3 weeks. As of today, SPAC's website has not published anything about the chamber music festival. It's pretty clear what is happening. Some point the finger at SPAC's management, a lack of artistic vision and fundraising troubles. Contributing, of course, was the 2008 recession as well as other entertainments that now divert people, especially young people, from pursuing enjoyment and sustenance from the arts. Off topic but related is the penchant now for people to take pictures of paintings with their I-phones and other devices, which I witnessed last week at the MOMA. It seemed that they weren't at all looking at these great paintings, too absorbed in taking pictures of them.

Back to the topic, I'm not very happy about the scheduling over those five days. For those who might take in more than one ballet, you can't without seeing a lot of repeats. Which is fine for those of us who are happy to see repeat performances, but what about the people who can only justify the expense by seeing a variety? This was difficult when NYCB was in residence for two weeks, now it's even more difficult. Add to that NBOC performing Giselle the following week and Aspen Santa Fe Ballet the following after that. I am not at all demeaning those fine companies and I will attend Giselle and a performance of ASFB, in addition to three NYCB performances, but many people will only have the choice of one or two ballet performances, so, yes, I'm worried, because if NYCB doesn't do well this summer, well, you get the point. Which will break our hearts.

SPAC's classical and ballet audience is quite varied and comprises our local community, New Yorkers, Bostonians, New Englanders, Canadians and other vacationers.

For those of you who have never attended a NYCB performance at SPAC, I hope you will and for those who have, please come back! SPAC has its own particular charms, not the least of which are the tall pines, the running brook which one can always hear in the background, and the gorgeous state park enclosing it. Fantastic summer enjoyment!

Hope you don't mind my letting off some stress with this post. ~Karen

Here is an excerpt from a review last summer in the NY Times.

By ALASTAIR MACAULAY

Published: July 18, 2012

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – It’s startling how different New York City Ballet looks at the open-air Saratoga Performing Arts Center. The light has the effect of subtly changing faces, feet, musculature. Choreography, too. As I watched two performances here on Saturday, works as familiar as George Balanchine’s “Concerto Barocco” and “Symphony in C” suddenly revealed fresh details. The dancers looked happy, despite the afternoon heat, as if performing for friends. A high quotient of young people in the audience cheered and clapped at every opportunity.

I have also blogged about the unique Saratoga experience

here:

http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2011/07/ballet-binge-in-saratoga-springs.html

and here:

http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2010/07/electrifying-experience-at-ballet.html.

and I too think it would be a great great loss if NYCB stopped coming.

I am organizing a group package this summer, more info here:

http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2013/02/see-nycb-in-saratoga-springs-trip-now.html

You can just meet us in Saratoga, or if you need help with transport I am organizing a coach from Toronto via Buffalo, but we could possibly pick up passengers between Toronto and Saratoga.

What a nice blog, Katherine! I'm chuckling as I write, regarding the border guard's remark. I saw most of those performances that year, too, though some with different personnel dancing. I have also taken class with Mary Ann's Dance with the Dancers, with Jenny Ringer. It was fun and very humbling.

For those wondering how to get to Saratoga Springs:

Saratoga Springs is on the Amtrak train line between New York and Montreal.

Nearest airport is Albany, 30 minutes drive from Saratoga, with regular scheduled direct service from the following cities: Orlando, Philadelphia, Washington Dulles, Washington National, Charlotte, Cleveland, Boston, Baltimore, Newark, Toronto, Detroit, Chicago Midway, Tampa, Ft Lauderdale, Atlanta

Back to the topic, I'm not very happy about the scheduling over those five days. For those who might take in more than one ballet, you can't without seeing a lot of repeats.

Actually to clarify, if you go Friday night, Sat aft, Sat night, there are in fact no repeats.

Back to the topic, I'm not very happy about the scheduling over those five days. For those who might take in more than one ballet, you can't without seeing a lot of repeats.

Actually to clarify, if you go Friday night, Sat aft, Sat night, there are in fact no repeats.

That is true, and I thought of that after I'd posted today, but the schedule as a whole does repeat alot. For my part, I know I could not get my husband to sign up for a schedule of Friday night and two on Saturday. Anyway, it is what it is and there will lots of great ballet-viewing that week, notwithstanding.

Update: looks like the schedule has been revised. No Opus19/Dreamer

Tuesday, July 9 / 8:00 PM

New York City Ballet - Opening Night

OPENING NIGHT

Garland Dance (from The Sleeping Beauty) (Tschaikovsky/Balanchine)

Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux (Tchaikovsky/Balanchine)

Wednesday, July 10 / 8:00 PM

MIXED REPERTORY

"American Girl Night"

Thursday, July 11 / 2:00 PM

New York City Ballet - Martins / Robbins / Balanchine

MIXED REPERTORY

Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux (Tschaikovsky/Balanchine)

Thursday, July 11 / 8:00 PM

New York City Ballet - All Balanchine

All Balanchine

The Sage Colleges "Date Night"

Friday, July 12 / 8:00 PM

MIXED REPERTORY

Dances at a Gathering (Chopin/Robbins)

CDPHP "Family Night"

Albany Medical Center's "Children's Workshop on the Lawn"

Saturday, July 13 / 2:00 PM

MIXED REPERTORY

Saturday, July 13 / 8:00 PM

New York City Ballet - The Ballet Gala: "The Ruby Ball"

THE BALLET GALA: "THE RUBY BALL"

Bal de Couture (Tschaikovsky/Martins)

This Bitter Earth (Washington and Richter/Wheeldon)

Rubies (Stravinsky/Balanchine)

West Side Story Suite (Bernstein/Robbins)

Hi AlbanyGirl,

Hi Katherine,

Just a Heads Up - I'm going to email you at your contact email on your Tours En' LAir website to perhaps make a plan to meet on Saturday, July 13, afternoon. I'll do this in a day or so. ~ Karen