This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nacho Duato taking helm in 2014

Not really, Duato says this is an important step in his career (per the quote). He will depart the Mik in January 2014 and assume the Berlin position on the 1st of August, 2014. Duato praised Malakhov's work as a dancer and choreographer to unite the 3 companies into the current single company. The article covers Duato's biography, and the rocky final months of Malakhov's tenure (the politicos didn't like him). Sasha Waltz's departure from Berlin is reviewed and the mayor pitied the lack of funding for the arts to keep Sasha in the city, but the city has a very heavy debt load. The Green Party criticized the mayor for making this decision to hire Duato without the assistance of "experts".

My spanish isn't perfect, but that's the best synopsis I can offer at 11:30 at night.

Yes, thanks, Jayne, for the summary.

Politics and reduced funding seem to play a big part in these changes. I was interested in the comments on Malakhov, whom Duato describes as a "good friend.":

Last week Malakhov criticized the the subsecretary of culture of Berlin, the Social Democrat Andre Schmitz, for not having taken a clear political line in respect to his [Malakhov's] activity as director of the Staatsballett and for having delayed the renewal of his contract.

[Mayor] Wowereit responded indirectly ... , affirming that, even though Malakhov's regime was successful, his work was controversial. "Not everyone likes what he does." The cultural richness of this city is characterized by diversity."

Although the the city tried to convince Waltz to remain in Berlin, the government lacked the cultural funds to do so.

Trying to persuade Waltz to stay, while being quite willing to let Malakhov go -- these choices tell us something about the nature of cultural politics of Berlin nowadays. (It also tells us something about the consequences of German "austerity" budgets.) Polina Semionova's decision to move to ABT in New York seems to have been timely.

I hope that the public will be open to Nacho Duato's ideas. His appointment is not happening without some controversy, of course.

One cannot please all the people, all the time.

Berlin has a hard time anyway, with a large and diverse (for Germany) population and - as was mentioned - huge debts. -sigh-

-d-

AT LONG LAST !!  From Berlin Ballet email of today : "The era of Nacho Duato at the Staatsballett Berlin comes to an end this summer. We can look back on a memorable and intense four-year incumbency involving international guest performances, the enlargement and rejuvenation of the repertoire and numerous world premieres, for the Staatsballett. We are grateful for the path we have trodden together and for the part played by Nacho Duato in the expansion of our horizons! Thank you, adiós and farewell" .......  Muchas Gracias !!

Going, going, gone! Adios, Sr. Duato!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156251898546147&id=150782756146

The Staatsballett Berlin company will apparently be led in 2018/19 by one-half of the new team, Johannes Ohman. Sasha Waltz will join him as co-AD at the start of the 2019/2020 season. So it appears that the dancers’ petition did not work out?

Daniil Simkin won’t be alone as a new Principal. Joining him will be two Super Cubans who’ve long been working in Europe: Yolanda Correa (currently in Oslo) and Alejandro Virelles (currently in Munich). I hope that we may be seeing one or both of them in Ratmansky’s new Bayadere

https://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/en/presse/mitteilungen/26-02-2018/94

Edited by CharlieH
12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Going, going, gone! Adios, Sr. Duato!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156251898546147&id=150782756146

The Staatsballett Berlin company will apparently be led in 2018/19 by one-half of the new team, Johannes Ohman. Sasha Waltz will join him as co-AD at the start of the 2019/2020 season. So it appears that the dancers’ petition did not work out?

Daniil Simkin won’t be alone as a new Principal. Joining him will be two Super Cubans who’ve long been working in Europe: Yolanda Correa (currently in Oslo) and Alejandro Virelles (currently in Munich). I hope that we may be seeing one or both of them in Ratmansky’s new Bayadere

https://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/en/presse/mitteilungen/26-02-2018/94

Oh wow...I forgot about Correa! Didn't even know she was still dancing. She was never a delicate ballerina, but rather a sturdy one. Would be interesting to see her Nikiya.