Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Link to article (in Spanish)

#2 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

I was unable to read the article. Does he say anything about reasons for his departure from the Mikhailovsky?

#3 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Not really, Duato says this is an important step in his career (per the quote). He will depart the Mik in January 2014 and assume the Berlin position on the 1st of August, 2014. Duato praised Malakhov's work as a dancer and choreographer to unite the 3 companies into the current single company. The article covers Duato's biography, and the rocky final months of Malakhov's tenure (the politicos didn't like him). Sasha Waltz's departure from Berlin is reviewed and the mayor pitied the lack of funding for the arts to keep Sasha in the city, but the city has a very heavy debt load. The Green Party criticized the mayor for making this decision to hire Duato without the assistance of "experts".

My spanish isn't perfect, but that's the best synopsis I can offer at 11:30 at night.

#4 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Thank you Jayne.

#5 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Yes, thanks, Jayne, for the summary.

Politics and reduced funding seem to play a big part in these changes. I was interested in the comments on Malakhov, whom Duato describes as a "good friend.":

Last week Malakhov criticized the the subsecretary of culture of Berlin, the Social Democrat Andre Schmitz, for not having taken a clear political line in respect to his [Malakhov's] activity as director of the Staatsballett and for having delayed the renewal of his contract.

[Mayor] Wowereit responded indirectly ... , affirming that, even though Malakhov's regime was successful, his work was controversial. "Not everyone likes what he does." The cultural richness of this city is characterized by diversity."

Although the the city tried to convince Waltz to remain in Berlin, the government lacked the cultural funds to do so.

Trying to persuade Waltz to stay, while being quite willing to let Malakhov go -- these choices tell us something about the nature of cultural politics of Berlin nowadays. (It also tells us something about the consequences of German "austerity" budgets.) Polina Semionova's decision to move to ABT in New York seems to have been timely.

#6 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

This is great news for both Berlin & St. Petersburg. I believe that Duato's style will be more welcome in Germany, with its tradition of embracing modern (less classical) styles.

#7 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

I hope that the public will be open to Nacho Duato's ideas. His appointment is not happening without some controversy, of course.
One cannot please all the people, all the time.

Berlin has a hard time anyway, with a large and diverse (for Germany) population and - as was mentioned - huge debts. -sigh-

-d-

#8 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Following his departure from the Berlin State Ballet, Vladimir Malakhov will become an artistic advisor to the Tokyo Ballet.

http://www.morgenpos...kyo-Ballet.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):