Bolshoi: London 2013 (29 July-17 Aug) @ Royal Opera House

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#46 yudi

yudi

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Many thanks for all of your reports and reviews of Bolshoi's performances in London.  I wish some people would return their tickets on August 14th/15th night tiphat.gif , as volcanohunter did for the first night, so I could grab one to get see Bolshoi's Swan Lake also. beg.gif

#47 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Olga Smirnova and Daria Khokhlova spotted looking at Titians at the National Gallery. That is all.

#48 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

I did not attend tonight's La Bayadere, but lots of Twitter witnesses are reporting that Maria Alexandrova was injured onstage during the second act and was unable to complete her performance. Hope it's not serious!

#49 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

I was there.  She looked to take a direct hit by Lantratov at the introduction to the Solar/Gamzatti pas - Indeed it never in reality began.  (Thank heavens we had seen her wonderful pas and variation as Gamzatti in the Russian first act).  If looks could kill Lantratov would have been well and truly dead before Alexandrova hobbled off the stage.  She only returned with the help of her on-stage father at the time of Nikiya's solo.  I was looking at her through my glasses.  She resolutely would not look at Lantratov in the face.  Her gaze was only for Nikiya.  After she had gesticulated 'get lost' to her romantic rival her father LITERALLY went downstage of her and - picking her one side up - supported her as she flattly lurched off the stage.  It looked painful indeed.

The pas de deux in the (Russian) second act (Solar/Gamzatti) was here done a la the Red Shoes but without either the empty follow spot or an announcement from what is most obviously a crippled management, i.e., the music was played and the corps did the surrounding choreography but the middle - where the pas de deux should have been - was amazingly left blank.  I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE.  Lantratov did come on as it happens and do his solo variation which, it must be said, he did well.  Yulia Grebenshchikova bravely stepped forward from her soloist line at the end and attempted the fouettes.  That they were very messy and that she feel out of them was of course understandable under the circumstances.  She was roundly applauded for being a good sport and all that but THIS WHOLE EVENING was OVERALL a performance of enormous compromise on many counts.  

Highlights for me:  (i) IGOR TSVIRKO as Magedaveya, the head Fakir .... Here at least we witnessed consummate dancing and a very focused dramatic portrayal without at any time the dancer pulling focus.  In this role that is very hard to do.  Bravo, Igor.  Well done.  (ii) The dance with a drum ... All three soloists were stunning, but the headlights that are Alexei Matrakhov's eyes glowed in the dark from atop his lighthouse-on-the-hill body.  (iii) ANASTASIA STASHKEVICH - as the first shade ... a class act in everything we've been privileged to see her do thus far in London; (iv) STUNNING harp playing in the first act; a glistening cloud of sound.  I was taken by Lantratov.  He had the difficult job of partnering Zakharova.  Can't be easy ... not easy at all given her mechanical and extreme extensions often obliterating the music and her placement - and Lantratov had, as noted, to recover himself for his solo in the 2nd act pas (being as he most obviously was here something of a dog in a glitzy manger).  That was from my perspective, perhaps, his most avidly musical outing - given that he was there left entirely to his own devices.  Suddenly the corps watching on looked - if only for a string of seconds - relieved..  Some of the girls with the parrot sticks who by now sat at the back wiped tears away from their eyes during his applause.  One even blew her red nose.  Ah, the drama.  

But just imagine if you had paid literally hundreds of pounds to see this.  I know the show needs to go on  ... but this, in many ways, was not THE SHOW ... at least NOT the show advertised and the show that had been promised to many by the live cinema relay.  WHY WAS THE CURTAIN NOT BROUGHT DOWN AND AN ANNOUNCEMENT MADE.  We all had been witnesses of (and after) the sad fact.  We would have understood.  Anna Tikhomirova who dances Gamzatti in today's matinee was dancing the third shade last night.  Could she not have got into the costume and let the interrupted act go forward ensuring the purity of the work?  At NO point was ANYTHING said ... but, hey, this is London.  Perhaps they think we'll buy anything marked 'Russe'.  'Russe' is enough.  Well, here maybe ... and, hey, maybe they are right.  There's not a ticket to be had for the rest of their three week season ... and we've not even finished the first.  The queue for returns tonight was out the building.  Sadly the wonderful programme by the Boston Ballet at the Coliseum - including two Balanchine masterworks - was woefully depleted of an audience in large part.  Some things just are NOT fair in this life.  Here's hoping that Alexandrova recovers VERY SOON ... She was .. and WILL be MISSED .... sorely.    

#50 yudi

yudi

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

if you "HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE", Bolshoi probably has no experience in dealing with this kind of situation. For opera,  the “B” role can be brought in to replace the “A” role during a show, if the “A” role cannot continue singing. But, for ballet, I have never heard of the “A/B” role thing. innocent.gif

How sad! I feel for Maria. Hope she could get recovered as soon as possible.  flowers.gif

There is a report story about Bolshoi prima Maria Alexandrova gets injury at guest performance in London

at http://pda.itar-tass...c32/828730.html

At the beginning of the second act Maria Alexandrova dancing a leading part of Gamzatti has got a leg injury and had to leave the stage, not bringing her part to the finale. But the ballet was not stopped. Conductor Pavel Sorokin reacted immediately and dropped a substantial part from the music scores. The actors were not at a loss either. Dancer of the corps de ballet Daria Bochkova performed the final part of the second act instead of Maria Alexandrova. Meanwhile, it turned out that the young dancer, who is a laureate of many ballet contests, succeeded to help the ballet company worthily in an emergency situation.

#51 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

At the Bolshoi they can certainly say: "we live in interesting times"

#52 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

if you "HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE", Bolshoi probably has no experience in dealing with this kind of situation. For opera,  the “B” role can be brought in to replace the “A” role during a show, if the “A” role cannot continue singing. But, for ballet, I have never heard of the “A/B” role thing. innocent.gif

How sad! I feel for Maria. Hope she could get recovered as soon as possible.  flowers.gif

actually something very much like this happened last fall in one of the performances of the Ratmansky shostakovich piece. Cornejo was injured on stage and for his next (?) entrance Jared Matthews was in costume and in place.

#53 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Dame Beryl Grey appreciated Zakharova's performance:

https://www.facebook...20429554&type=1

A wonderful photo by Marc Haegeman.

#54 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

That's a lovely picture of Dame Beryl.  Thank you.  She has such a glorious smile and it is wonderful at her age that she gets out and about to so much.  It is always a joy to see her and she is always so kind.  She is a true inspiration.  

As to the music, the only thing that looked to be cut was Gamzatti's variation.  During the substantive MIDDLE section of the adagio the supporting artists stood nobly in two semi-circles, one on each side of the now sadly empty central dancing area.  

#55 Bella12

Bella12

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Yulia Grebenshchikova bravely stepped forward from her soloist line at the end and attempted the fouettes.   

Meunier fan, I hope you don't mind if I correct a typo.  It appears that the brave dancer who 'attempted the fouettés' was, according to the above press report, Daria Bochkova.

#56 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

Yulia Grebenshchikova bravely stepped forward from her soloist line at the end and attempted the fouettes.   

Meunier fan, I hope you don't mind if I correct a typo.  It appears that the brave dancer who 'attempted the fouettés' was, according to the above press report, Daria Bochkova.

Bless you, Bella.  Not at all.  I was going from sight and sadly got it wrong.  I should have safely stuck to 'a soloist'.  My sincere apologies to you and Ms. Bochkova.  

#57 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

There is a report story about Bolshoi prima Maria Alexandrova gets injury at guest performance in London

at http://pda.itar-tass...c32/828730.html

In the Russian original Urin is quoted as saying that he hoped British doctors would be able to get Alexandrova back "on stage" as quickly as possible. Since her injury is not life-threatening, I have no doubt they would be able to get her back to the "homeland" if necessary.

#58 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

If you want to see where the accident took place with Alexandrova, please pull through to 2.23 on the following filmed clip of the cinema release performance with the same principal Bolshoi cast:  http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nkNcLy-Pzbk  She fell from her full jete prep to the floor of the stage landing on her foot.  Lantratov may well have accidentally been out of placement on the cross.  Certainly she indicated by her immediate glare that she had been hit and understandably looked to be in shock.  You can imagine what was seen by the ROH audience by removing the principal couple thereafter in your imagination and entirely cutting (again understandably) Gamzatti's variation.  Even the movement down of the two male soloists to lift the ballerina was undertaken.  They stood and looked at each other.  

#59 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

Thanks to all, on behalf of those of us who are not there.   It's a great pleasure to read this kind of posting.

volcanohunter, thanks for your detailed comments on the Swan Lake performance -- as well as for your analysis and Russian translating on the other Bolshoi threads.    Your eye for detail and feeling for the larger scope of things never cease to amaze me.  tiphat.gif

Thanks, too, to meunier fan. (And welcome to Ballet Alert).  Your description of  Alexanddrova's accident and how the performance went without Gamzatti is one of the most fascinating pieces of reportage  I've read on B.A.  tiphat.gif  aurora's  point about how differently ABT handled the situation when Herman Cornejo was injured during Ratmanskyk's Shostakovich ballet makes me think we might need a thread on this topic in general -- something like:  "What happens when an injury occurs onstage?"

cubanmiamiboy, who made such a long transatlantic journey to see the Bolshoi in London, thanks for telling us about the  revisions (distortions) in music and story.  Knowing your love of this work, and deep experience in watching it performed, I can empathize with how you felt.  Hope the rest of your visit goes much better. tiphat.gif

#60 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

aurora's  point about how differently ABT handled the situation when Herman Cornejo was injured during Ratmanskyk's Shostakovich ballet makes me think we might need a thread on this topic in general -- something like:  "What happens when an injury occurs onstage?"

We did have a thread like this, but I can't remember what it was called. I remember posting a report on the March 1978 problem at the Kennedy Center during the premiere week of Baryshnikov's Don Quixote. Martine van Hamel, as Kitri, was injured during the Saturday evening performance. Kirkland and Baryshnikov were having dinner at the Watergate Hotel and were asked to come back to the theater and perform, even though they had already done the matinee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):