This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi: London 2013 (29 July-17 Aug) @ Royal Opera House

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#16 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

The ROH website now indicates that David Hallberg is dancing the prince in the August 6th Sleeping Beauty alongside Zakharova as Aurora and Smirnova as Lilac.  And another casting change: Alexander Volchkov will replace Ruslan Skvortsov as prince for the August 9th Beauty (also partnering Zakharova).

#17 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

Here come the Bolshoi cast changes. Merde.

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

I didn't see any possible way that Hallberg would be shut out of the London visit by the Bolshoi.   It was just a matter of time before they worked him into the schedule.

#19 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

Will other dancers now be bumped to make room for him in Swan Lake, La Bayadère and "Diamonds"? I realize it's not Hallberg's fault that he was injured for a long time, but it's not fair to those who have been toiling away in his absence. Every day they've been dealing with the hell that's embroiled the Bolshoi for the last five months, and he swoops in for the glamour job.

#20 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Will other dancers now be bumped to make room for him in Swan Lake, La Bayadère and "Diamonds"? I realize it's not Hallberg's fault that he was injured for a long time, but it's not fair to those who have been toiling away in his absence. Every day they've been dealing with the hell that's embroiled the Bolshoi for the last five months, and he swoops in for the glamour job.

I would say the dance shoe is on the other foot.  David toiled in the ABT corps for many years while Russian dancers swooped in for the glamour jobs in NYC, etc.  

#21 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Not the same ones.

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think dancers, like athletes, look at their competition's recovery schedules and can guess their fate.   It's like when the star second baseman recovers in time for the World Series: chances are, he'll make the lineup.

#23 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

They're not second-string infielders. They're Bolshoi principals. Real Bolshoi principals.

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Sometimes the second-string infielders are almost as valuable to the team as the star who's out with an injury, and they can sometimes be better players. If Hallberg is being cast -- and we don't know if the dancers previously on the roster were told in advance that they'd be replaced if he recovered or that they were placeholders because the company needed to give advanced casting -- then the Bolshoi thinks he's more valuable on tour than not, just like the Royal Ballet decided that giving the premiere of Macmillan's "Romeo and Juliet" to Fonteyn and Nureyev was more valuable to the company. That doesn't mean it was good to be either Seymour or Gable in that situation.

The Bolshoi advertises casting well in advance, like ABT. In a company like PNB (10 days notice) or NYCB (it used to be 7 days), this wouldn't be a public issue.

#25 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Flash flash! Cubanmiamiboy will be in London! happy.png I planned my yearly European vacation this year around the Bolshoi appearances. I was originally going to go to Russia, but the London tour was too attractive to let go, so I'm in! I bought tickets already fo me and my mother. Swan Lake, 07/30 with Alexandrova/Skvortsov. Bayadere, 08/03 with Smirnova/Loparevich/Krisanova and 08/05 Sleeping Beauty with Kaptsova/Ovcharenko. Can't wait!!! yahoo.gif

Oh, Cristian, that's great news, you lucky devil devil.gif !  Have a wonderful time (how could you not?!innocent.gif )..  ~Karen

#26 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

Flash flash! Cubanmiamiboy will be in London! happy.png I planned my yearly European vacation this year around the Bolshoi appearances. I was originally going to go to Russia, but the London tour was too attractive to let go, so I'm in! I bought tickets already fo me and my mother. Swan Lake, 07/30 with Alexandrova/Skvortsov. Bayadere, 08/03 with Smirnova/Loparevich/Krisanova and 08/05 Sleeping Beauty with Kaptsova/Ovcharenko. Can't wait!!! yahoo.gif

Oh, Cristian, that's great news, you lucky devil devil.gif !  Have a wonderful time (how could you not?!innocent.gif )..  ~Karen

oh, I will...oooooooooooh, YES! flowers.gif

#27 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Sometimes the second-string infielders are almost as valuable to the team as the star who's out with an injury, and they can sometimes be better players. If Hallberg is being cast -- and we don't know if the dancers previously on the roster were told in advance that they'd be replaced if he recovered or that they were placeholders because the company needed to give advanced casting -- then the Bolshoi thinks he's more valuable on tour than not, just like the Royal Ballet decided that giving the premiere of Macmillan's "Romeo and Juliet" to Fonteyn and Nureyev was more valuable to the company. That doesn't mean it was good to be either Seymour or Gable in that situationIn this

In this case it may be more sinister than that. It is possible that Ruslan Skvortsov in particular is being victimized because of his familial connections to Svetlana Lunkina, just as Maria Alexandrova may have been relieved of her Beauties for her trade unionism, and Maria Allash appears to have been scratched from the tour entirely for signing the letter in support of Pavel Dmitrichenko.

http://balletalert.i...ronto/?p=322491

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

In this interview Lunkina said that other artists have told her after meetings with Filin that he blackmailed their relatives, but that it didn't happen to her.  If Skvortsov is being victimized because of his association with her, I would think she'd know it by now.  Whether she'd talk about it in an interview is another story.

I also don't see where in the interview she talks about Alexandrova's trade unionism, and according to Tsiskaridze, over 300 people in the Bolshoi signed the letter in support of him.  The theater claims this is an exaggeration, but even if the truth is somewhere in the middle, unless the majority of signees were opera and administrative people, is everyone who signed the letter being targeted? 

Her description of many of Filin's administrative "sins" are what North Americans would recognize from business in general:  a new person comes into an organization and brings his own people to do what he needs, with whatever background they have, whether it meets the standards of any of his critics.  Surely at this point Filin's assistant is literally his eyes.  Her description of how he treats older dancers is reminiscent of Baryshnikov, who at ABT caused much turmoil by sidelining his older former partners and peers and by championing Charles France as his right-hand person; France was also a polarizing influence in the company. 

#29 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

There's a good chance that the dancer "blackmailed" by Filin could be Marianna Ryzhkina, whose son Klim Yefimov dances in the Bolshoi's corps.

The Bolshoi Theater site does not give any background on Dilyara Timergazina, but apparently she was not a dancer. Rather, she holds an MBA from NYU and previously worked for Ernst & Young. So I can understand why dancers would take umbrage at her expressing opinions about the quality of their dancing. I thought the newfangled artistic council was supposed to be Filin's eyes and ears.

No, the interview does not give a specific reason for dropping Alexandrova from Sleeping Beauty, but she was for some reason. It's not as though she's technically incapable of dancing Princess Aurora or that she would be a drag on the box office. However, Alexandrova, along with Denis Savin, Elena Andrienko and a couple of others, are official dancer representatives in the union that elected Dmitrichenko to replace Filin and then selected Filin's ex-buddy Ruslan Pronin to fill in for Dmitrichenko. The union is not exactly pro-Filin, and that's why I'm suspicious.

Although the interview appears in tomorrow's edition of "Izvestia," its contents are not that new. Lunkina speaks of learning about Alexandrova's casting changes a few days earlier, when in fact they were announced several weeks ago. I'm sure lots of stuff has happened since then. But I agree that Lunkina would probably especially careful about saying things that could make life more difficult for her sister or her sister's mate. Incidentally, Skvortsov is not exactly a weak Prince Désiré either.

As for business practices, if Filin resorts to abusive language, I think that crosses the line. Among recent information leaked from police interrogations of Pavel Dmitrichenko is a description of how Filin drove Svetlana Adyrkhaeva to tears by screaming at her. http://izvestia.ru/news/552018

#30 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,401 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

I can understand why the dancers would take umbrage at a non-dancer critiquing them, but Filin, as AD, gets to decide whose advice he wants to take.  He wasn't happy about the artistic council in the first place, and most people don't rely on people they don't trust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):