This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi: London 2013 (29 July-17 Aug) @ Royal Opera House

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#136 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

I also very much appreciate the detailed reviews we have been receiving from London.  

#137 annamk

annamk

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

She has been paired with him quite a bit, but I do not think Semyon Chudin is the best partner for her. For one thing, she is more musical than he is. Unfortunately, he has a strong tendency toward posing, she exaggerates her port de bras, and together I think they are at risk of getting stuck in their particular exaggerations; mannerisms tend to get worse, not better, over time. A partner with a warmer and more direct style might be better equipped to help her open up emotionally and perhaps dance more freely.

Interesting ....... who you think would be a better partner for Smirnova ? 

Your Flames review was fascinating - I wish I had even half your powers of observation :) 

I only saw the Friday evening & Saturday matinee and I agree with your comment that the ballet came across as more of an integrated whole at the matinee although I also loved the Vasipova show !

#138 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Last summer when they appeared together on the "Big Ballet" television program I thought she and Vladislav Lantratov did well together, so that could be one possibility.

#139 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

I would love to see her with Davud H.

#140 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

David!

#141 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

David!

I wouldn't actually. I am sure they would be beautiful but I think they would have the same icy coldness he does with semionova.

I find him much more interesting with Osipova. She brings out his emotions, and he's a good stylistic influence on her.

#142 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

David!

I wouldn't actually. I am sure they would be beautiful but I think they would have the same icy coldness he does with semionova.

I find him much more interesting with Osipova. She brings out his emotions, and he's a good stylistic influence on her.

I actually like Semionova a great deal, but agree that Hallberg is not an ideal partner for her and wouldn't be for Smirnova either.  I would be curious to see Smirnova pair with Ruslan Skvortsov: I loved his Siegfried in London and think that he could be the dancer to draw more emotion out of her.

#143 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

David!

I actually like Semionova a great deal, but agree that Hallberg is not an ideal partner for her and wouldn't be for Smirnova either.  I would be curious to see Smirnova pair with Ruslan Skvortsov: I loved his Siegfried in London and think that he could be the dancer to draw more emotion out of her.

I like Semionova too. They just don't seem to bring much out of each other emotionally when paired.

#144 annamk

annamk

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Last summer when they appeared together on the "Big Ballet" television program I thought she and Vladislav Lantratov did well together, so that could be one possibility.

Yes I remember watching some clips on YT and I agree they seemed a good partnership. I am going to Moscow in October to see Onegin so I am hoping they will dance that together again.

#145 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

I would be curious to see Smirnova pair with Ruslan Skvortsov: I loved his Siegfried in London and think that he could be the dancer to draw more emotion out of her.

Yes, certainly. On stage he gives his ballerina heart and soul, and he is very musical. He typically partners the biggest and tallest, but looking over the Bolshoi's archive of cast lists, I see that he has danced full-length ballets with all of the company's primas, from Kaptsova and Obraztsova to Alexandrova, Zakharova and Shipulina.

#146 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

I would be curious to see Smirnova pair with Ruslan Skvortsov: I loved his Siegfried in London and think that he could be the dancer to draw more emotion out of her.

Yes, certainly. On stage he gives his ballerina heart and soul, and he is very musical. He typically partners the biggest and tallest, but looking over the Bolshoi's archive of cast lists, I see that he has danced full-length ballets with all of the company's primas, from Kaptsova and Obraztsova to Alexandrova, Zakharova and Shipulina.

from his performance in the russian streams, i have realized he is very dramatic. he can play serious, funny, lyrical, cute, good, bad, ..., all kind of roles. 

BTW, i think smirnova should try the street dancer in D.Q., which can help her to open up.

tiphat.gif

#147 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Anyone in London knows how to order flowers to deliver to the ballerinas on stage? Last night Obraztsova & Smirnova both got big baskets of flowers. Why no any flower for Krysanova after Rubies? flowers.gif

In my view Krysanova was the most deserving of flowers last night, a pity she never received any. You may be interested to know though, that last time the Bolshoi danced in London she was the recipient of one of the biggest flower throws I've ever seen at Covent Garden with the stage absolutely carpeted in blooms. When a ballerina gets that kind of attention in London she knows the audience is in love with her.

I guess it's worth noting that during the Bolshoi's live broadcast of Jewels Krysanova received far and away the most bouquets, twice as many flowers as she could hold. I suppose we now know where the sympathies of Muscovite audiences lie.

#148 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

I guess it's worth noting that during the Bolshoi's live broadcast of Jewels Krysanova received far and away the most bouquets, twice as many flowers as she could hold. I suppose we now know where the sympathies of Muscovite audiences lie.

I was soooooooo happy to see that "Krysanova received far and away the most bouquets, twice as many flowers as she could hold."yahoo.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):