This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

How viable is the ROMANTIC/CLASSICAL distinction today?-- and how do weuse or misuse it?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#46 KarenAG

KarenAG

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

What the Fille with Nerina and Blair is on DVD? Is it really, Albany Girl? How lovely! What I am finding rather satisfying, as they release all these archive films, is the fact that my heroes of yesteryear were actually as good as I remember them to be! I have a film of Giselle with Ulanova, whom I saw for the first time when the Bolshoi came to London in 1956, and her technique was amazing and her acting was unbelievable - She seemed to live the part. And the divine Beriosova in the Les Sylphides extract posted above was indeed divine! And now Nerina - such ballon, such technique and such quality. With all their legs round their ears and multiple pirouettes, I find that many of the incredibly athletic dancers of today lack the quality of the dancers from my youth. But that's another whole thread, which I believe has already been done!

Hi Hamorah,
Regarding your statement above in blue, I apologize for any confusion. The DVD to which I refer is an ICA Classics DVD of BBC performances of Les Sylphides and Giselle. If you look at my post to Cristian that I mention in the earlier post today, it has the DVD catalog number. This is a wonderful DVD, in my opinion. I agree with your view about Markova and Beriosova. And I absolutely love Galina Ulanova. My understanding from some readings (where I cannot remember), is that Miss Galina would wear soft slippers en pointe when dancing Giselle so that not a peep was heard from her shoes. She is divine. Older dancers did have a particular quality of refinement, didn't they? Not to discount the current crop of many fine, young dancers of today.

#47 KarenAG

KarenAG

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Congratulations on your 100th post, AlbanyGirl, and thanks for your contribution to this thead especially.

Quiggin, I'm grateful for your point about Tchaikovsky Suite No. 3. Nancy Reynolds quotes a critic who thought that this work had a "split personality." Llike most people, I usually see Theme and Variations as a stand-alone work, without the sections Balanchine added to it. On the few occasions on which I've seen the multi-section piece, I tended to think that it was a bit disjointed in terms of style. It never occurred to me that this might have been a comment by Balanchine on the romanticism/classicism dichotomy, with romanticism actually leading to (or culminating in) the triumph of classiscism.

Cristian, thanks for those links. Dupont is a gorgeous Sylphide, though not the most ethereal. She is more glamourous than "fairylike" in its original sense, but lovelyi to watch nonetheless. Fracci's Giselle with Vasiliev is a marvel, especially considering her age at the time. I prefer it to the much earlier ABT Fracci-Bruhn film, with its over-active camera work.

Bart, I noticed that 'split-personality' aspect this season. I mentioned it in the forum Winter Season earlier, but it's worth responding to your post here. I found it exceptionally odd, honestly, although I enjoyed it. It was like movements 1-3 were one ballet and movement 4 a separate, entirely different ballet!Posted Image IMO, if this was indeed a comment by Balanchine on romanticsm/classicism, I don't think it succeeds. This summer T&V will be performed at Saratoga and I'll see it then, in its original incarnation as T&V.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):