This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet Romeo and Juliet (Cuthburtson & Bonneli) released on

DVD/Blu-ray recording of Royal Ballet Romeo and Juliet, starring Lauren Cuthbertson and Federico Bonelli will be released in February 25 at Amazon uk by Opus Arte

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00B8X51HU/

Romeo Federico Bonelli

Juliet Lauren Cuthbertson

Mercutio Alexander Campbell

Tybalt Bennet Gartside

Benvolio Dawid Trzensimiech

Paris Valery Hristov

Lord Capulet Christopher Saunders

Lady Capulet Christina Arestis

Escalus Prince of Verona Gary Avis

Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

Conductor Barry Wordsworth

Choreography Kenneth MacMillan

Recorded live at the Royal Opera House, March 2012

I've a feeling this version won't stand up very well against the Fonteyn/Nureyev and Ferri/Eagling DVD's that I believe are still readily available.

I agree; the casts you name are superior - no let me temper that statement by suggesting that they are

better casts (MO). The Cuthbertson/Bonelli dvd will also be in direct competition with the 2009 Rojo/Acosta

dvd.

I've a feeling this version won't stand up very well against the Fonteyn/Nureyev and Ferri/Eagling DVD's that I believe are still readily available.

I agree; the casts you name are superior - no let me temper that statement by suggesting that they are

better casts (MO). The Cuthbertson/Bonelli dvd will also be in direct competition with the 2009 Rojo/Acosta

dvd.

Well I think that it sounds super. Please give Cuthbertson/Bonelli a chance. They might suprise all of us. Lauren Cuthbertson is said to be one of the best Juliets of her generation.

Please don't be harsh on the current generation of dancers. They do their best to give us wonderful performances. Enjoy them for what they can offer us.

Cygnet, I'd completely forgotten about the 2009 R&J, but now this release strikes me as rather odd. The Fonteyn/Nureyev film was released in 1966 and Ferri/Eagilng in the 1980s - big gap, so it strikes me as rather strange that a second R&J should be released with just a four year gap.

Cygnet, I'd completely forgotten about the 2009 R&J, but now this release strikes me as rather odd. The Fonteyn/Nureyev film was released in 1966 and Ferri/Eagilng in the 1980s - big gap, so it strikes me as rather strange that a second R&J should be released with just a four year gap.

The big gap between the first two has much more to do with media technology and the shift from watching in a group (film) to watching alone (home video) than it does with any artistic considerations about performers. There is now a substantial number of people who are much more likely to watch something at home, either from a disk or a streaming device, than go out to see a live performance.

I don't have any inside knowledge about this, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this change at the Royal Ballet was related to the success that the Met has had with with their HD broadcasts and related DVD sales.

It makes sense for them to release the HD version of a very popular ballet to see how much the viewing audience and people who couldn't go on the day will buy it, a built in audience that isn't quite the same for studio performances.

Sadly, the Met has released few Live at the Met performances on DVD, mostly the usual suspects. At least many are broadcast on Public TV.

I don't have any inside knowledge about this, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this change at the Royal Ballet was related to the success that the Met has had with with their HD broadcasts and related DVD sales.

The Royal Opera House owns the Opus Arte DVD label.