Definition of BalletHow does Ballet differ from other dance?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

The artistic director saw everything on stage tonight as 'ballet'... Isn't it interesting?" Would be my answer...

But that would be untrue, Amy...Villella or Lopez-(to my knowledge or based on what the playbills say)-have never intended to offer such pieces a ballets.

#62 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Perhaps then the best advice would be to direct them to read the Director's program notes?

#63 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Perhaps then the best advice would be to direct them to read the Director's program notes?

Well, generally in life if I feel capable of offering an answer, I try to do so. Giving the run around to a neophyte ballet companion would not be right. I offer what I know and believe in, and then if the person in question wants to advance his/her view, the homework is never ending, as we well know. Plus, usually there's nothing about this subject in ballet programmes. Non ballet numbers are usually refered to as "pieces", or "choreographies", and all the Petipa/Balanchine/Robbins et al on pointe are always refered to as "ballets". Having a newbie make a primary, clear distinction in between pointe work and the rest I strongly believe is a good start. At the end, it is not too common they will be faced with a Fokine's Sheherezade or Yakobson's Spartacus in regular basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):