This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Colorado Ballet 2013-14 season

Colorado Ballet is announcing the 2013-14 season on Wednesday, February 6 at their studios, in an event announced on their public web site:

http://www.coloradob.../special-events

Join us for the Unveiling:

Announcement of the 2013-2014 Season & Sneak Peek at Sketches of Our New Building

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

10:30 a.m.

Colorado Ballet

1278 Lincoln Street

Denver, CO 80203

Refreshments will be served.

This event is complimentary

Please RSVP via email specialevents@coloradoballet.org.

I can't attend, but the e-mail announcing this has a photo from the second act of Giselle.

They will do Giselle in October, Nutcracker in December, Cinderella in February and a mixed bill (at DU) in March, including Edward Liang's Feast of the Gods.

http://www.coloradoballet.org/about-news/colorado-ballet-announces-2013-2014-season

The Denver Post also has a nice write-up today of their plans for a new building in the Santa Fe arts district, which is close to downtown.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/artmosphere/2013/02/06/colorado-ballet-unveils-season-and-a-sleek-new-building-for-the-santa-fe-arts-district/8539/

That's a lot of program-length work, with only one mixed repertory show in the season -- is that the standard mix for the company now?

They do a lot of full-length "child-oriented" work, which is how Cinderella is characterized for next year. In 2011-12, it was Peter Pan. The year before, Dracula. It's probably a good strategy to attract parents who might not otherwise attend the ballet.

They will do Giselle in October, Nutcracker in December, Cinderella in February and a mixed bill (at DU) in March, including Edward Liang's Feast of the Gods.

Even more incentive to find my way back to Colorado. I can't stand the thought of missing Feast of the Gods!

Cinderella is child-oriented? Then why is it that I, a full-grown adult, always have to delve into my kleenex supply during the waltz scene? :)

I can't stand the thought of missing Feast of the Gods!

Cinderella is child-oriented? Then why is it that I, a full-grown adult, always have to delve into my kleenex supply during the waltz scene? smile.png

In the press release, director Gil Boggs describes their Cinderella as "kid friendly" and "a way to introduce dance to a younger audience."

http://www.coloradoballet.org/about-news/colorado-ballet-announces-2013-2014-season

The other highlight of the mixed bill is Amy Seiwert's Traveling Alone, which I thought was the best of the mixed bill "Tribute" in spring 2012.

Cinderella is child-oriented? Then why is it that I, a full-grown adult, always have to delve into my kleenex supply during the waltz scene? smile.png

Not to mention a "child-friendly" Dracula?

But yes, Pacific Northwest Ballet markets their Cinderella to families as well, for the usual reasons. They also have a big group of kids in the ballet -- the scene where the Godmother explains to Cinderella that she has to get out of Dodge by midnight has 12 children in a clock formation, wearing pumpkin colored costumes with these great hats that look like peapods. If they would sell those in their giftshop, they would have an endowment that could cushion almost any disaster!

That's a lot of program-length work, with only one mixed repertory show in the season -- is that the standard mix for the company now?

I don't know if that is a set policy, but it seems to be the pattern of the last few years. I think that the full-length ballets are a bigger draw, even though hard-core fans like the repertory shows. Many short works are abstract, which doesn't hold the same appeal to casual fans as full-length, story ballets.

There may be some financial considerations involved in the choices for next year. I recall Gil Boggs once stating that when a company purchases the rights to use choreography it get those rights for 3 to 5 years. So they would definitely still have their original rights to Traveling Alone and possibly still have the original rights to Feast of the Gods (they premiered both of these works).

I noticed that they have added 2 additional dancers to the corps.

The Colorado Ballet just announced a 20% discount for the first week of the two-week Giselle season. The Promo Code: LOVE

Performance dates and times:
Friday, October 4, 2013 @ 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 5, 2013 @ 2 p.m. - Best availability
Saturday, October 5, 2013 @ 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, October 6, 2013 @ 2 p.m.
Thursday, October 10, 2013 @ 6:30 p.m. - Best availability

http://tickets.coloradoballet.org/single/EventListing.aspx?promo=1330

This is a standard promotional technique for them, at least in recent years, and I think it's a good idea. The Opera House seats 2,225, which is a heavy lift in a city that doesn't have a major tradition of ballet-going. Subscribers get a 25% discount on all additional tickets for the year, which is also a great incentive for subscribing.

Giselle opens tonight. They have announced a 15% discount on all remaining tickets for the run through October 13. Use the promo code: GHOST

http://tickets.coloradoballet.org/single/EventListing.aspx?promo=1331

I sat in on part of a theater dress rehearsal a couple of days ago for Friends. They rented sets and costumes from ABT, and they look gorgeous on the Caulkins Opera House stage.

A very clever group of dancers from Colorado Ballet has been making "teaser" YouTube videos for the current season. Here's the new one, just posted, for Nutcracker:

Here's the one they did for Giselle earlier this fall:

(Can't wait to see what they come up with for Cinderella next February!)