This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYIBC 2013 Has Been Cancelled

I received an e-mail from the NYIBC's Director, Marcia de la Garza, stating the following:

It is with a heavy heart that the Board of Directors and I, announce the cancellation of NYIBC 2013.

Since the passing in 2010 of our founding Executive Director, Ilona Copen, NYIBC has met many challenges. The most notable being raising funds to provide an educational experience of its magnitude, producing an event of its caliber and running a sustainable operation.

We had an amazing group of dancers apply this year from 18 countries, including: France, Israel, Chile, Belgium, Australia, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine, Dominican Republic, China, U.S.A. and Korea. Our teachers and coaches would have been honored to work with them, and as artists, they would have been privileged to work, collaborate and grow with each other.

To recall a reflection by Ms. Copen, made in NYIBC 2003, “I hope the dancers learn something about themselves that perhaps they didn’t know before…that they go away with a generosity of heart towards the other dancers and all the people they’ve worked with. I hope that all these cultures that have come together have really learned to live together. And of course, we all hope that they go home as better artists!”

On behalf of the nearly 500 alumni who’ve graced the NYIBC stage, since the first competition in 1984, and the countless donors, volunteers and host “dance families” who’ve helped make 30 years possible, we congratulate the applicants to the class of 2013. We applaud their achievements thus far, and we support their promising careers that lay ahead.

Thank you for your interest in NYIBC 2013 – keep striving and keep reaching, every day you improve your art as a dancer.

The press release also states:

Options are being evaluated with regard to sustaining the organization’s future.