This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

R&J Opening Night Mystery Announcement

Posted by PNB to its Facebook page today,

Rumor alert - we just heard Peter Boal has a big announcement to making opening night of Roméo et Juliette. Any guesses what it might be?!

Tweeted by PNB:

Status update on opening night news: our PR-guy was instructed to invite MORE press people to report on the announcement.

I don't like surprises and refuse to "Like" unless I know what I'm liking.

sandik and Sandy McKean: please report ASAP on what happens Friday night beg.gif

I'll be there opening night (and a bunch of other nights). What's the best way to report this announcement immediately? Tweeter comes to mind, but better would be to post to this thread I guess. Problem is that I've never attempted to run BA or Twitter on my iPhone. I guess I could set up my iPhone to be able to post to this thread. I'll work on that before Friday.

P.S. As to the announcement itself, my guess is that someone is coming back.

If you do this at home before you get there, it will be easier.

Go to the Internet/Safari on your iPhone and search for Ballet Alert! or type in the site URL.

To use the mobile version,

Click the box in the upper right.

Click the "Sign In" button.

Sign in. The default is "Keep me signed in," but I don't know what makes a phone clear its cookies and not keep the info.

Scroll to "American Ballet Companies", and select. Do the same for the PNB sub-forum and thread.

Scroll to the bottom and click "Reply."

To use the "full" version, go to BA!

Scroll to the bottom and click "Full version."

Proceed as usual, starting with "Sign In" if needed, ie, the "Reply" button doesn't show.

You can bookmark the BA! Site on your iPhone:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ta38614

An email was just issued by PNB that contained the following sentence from Peter Boal:

"If you haven’t heard, I’ve got an announcement to make tomorrow night at the end of the show. If you aren’t in the house, you can find it on our website, facebook or twitter. It’s good news."

So that ought to end half the speculation wink1.gif. Funny they are waiting until the end of the performance. Makes me think "promotion".

P.S. More good news attached to the email....Lesley Rausch and Jerome Tisserand will be the guests at the Q&A after their debut on 2/9 matinee; and even more exciting Noelani Pantastico and Lucien Postlewaite will be the dancer guests at the Q&A that evening after their much anticipated performance.

The I misunderstood PNB's tweet that said, "Status update on opening night news: our PR-guy was instructed to invite MORE press people to report on the announcement."

Usually promotion announcements are made before the show, not after. But that doesn't meant this will always be the way.

Here's the press release, and it includes the promotion of two apprentices, Elle Macy and Jahna Frantziskonis, to the corps de ballet. (Congratulations to them :flowers:)

Pacific Northwest Ballet Announces Promotion and New Hires

SEATTLE, WA – At this evening’s conclusion of Jean-Christophe Maillot’s Roméo et Juliette, Pacific Northwest Ballet Artistic Director Peter Boal announced to the opening night audience that James Moore, a member of the company since 2004, has been promoted to principal dancer.

“It gives me great pleasure to announce a well-deserved promotion tonight,” began Mr. Boal in his announcement. “Fifteen years ago, a kid showed up in my ballet class in New York. He was kind of a diamond in the rough, but one could see some serious potential. His first job was for Pittsburg Ballet Theater, where he worked with Francia Russell on the role of Puck in A Midsummer Night’s Dream. He came to PNB in 2004, but really grabbed the spotlight and started his fan club in 2005 as the guy called Mopey. We’ve watched him excel in works by Nacho Duato, Twyla Tharp, Marco Goecke, and William Forsythe, alongside triumphs in the roles of Puck, Franz, and the Prodigal Son, and let’s not forget his performance tonight, where Juliet wasn’t the only one to fall for this Romeo. Please join me in congratulating James Moore on his promotion to principal dancer.”

Seattle audiences can see Mr. Moore dancing the lead in Roméo et Juliette for two more performances, February 2 (2:00 pm) and February 7 (7:30 pm). He will also be featured in the role on February 16 (2:00 pm) during PNB’s upcoming tour to New York City Center.

James Moore is from San Francisco, California. He trained at San Francisco Ballet School and the School of American Ballet. He joined Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre in 2001. He joined Pacific Northwest Ballet as a member of the corps de ballet in 2004 and was promoted to soloist in 2008. Mr. Moore’s breakout performances were in Marco Goecke’s solo Mopey, and Molissa Fenley’s solo State of Darkness. Some of Mr. Moore’s leading roles have included George Balanchine’s Coppélia (Franz), The Four Temperaments, A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Puck), Prodigal Son, Rubies, Symphony in C, and Symphony in Three Movements; Ulysses Dove’s Serious Pleasures; Nacho Duato’s Jardi Tancat; William Forsythe’s In the middle, somewhat elevated and One Flat Thing, reproduced; Paul Gibson’s The Piano Dance; Ronald Hynd’s The Sleeping Beauty (Bluebird pas de deux), Jiri Kylian’s Petite Mort; Susan Marshall’s Kiss; Mark Morris’ Pacific; Jerome Robbins’ Fancy Free; Kent Stowell’s Nutcracker (Prince); Twyla Tharp’s In the Upper Room and Nine Sinatra Songs; and Christopher Wheeldon’s After the Rain pas de deux. (For a full bio, visit pnb.org/Artists.)

Mr. Boal has also announced two additional hires: Jahna Frantziskonis and Elle Macy have joined the company as apprentices.

Jahna Frantziskonis is from Tucson, Arizona. She studied at Ballet Arts Tucson and on scholarship at Pacific Northwest Ballet School. She attended summer courses at the School of American Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, Ballet Tucson, and PNB School. Ms. Frantziskonis has performed a leading role in Andrew Bartee’s arms that work and featured roles in Kent Stowell’s Nutcracker. While a student at PNB School, she performed corps de ballet roles with PNB in George Balanchine’s Coppélia and Divertimento from “Le Baiser de la Fée,” Peter Boal’s Giselle, and Kent Stowell’s Cinderella and Nutcracker. In addition, she performed a leading role in Bruce Wells’ Snow White. Ms. Frantziskonis originated a leading role in Price Suddarth’s Time Out for PNB School’s annual School Performance in 2012. She also originated roles in ballets by Kyle Davis, Kiyon Gaines, Barry Kerollis, Margaret Mullin, Sean Rollofson, and Ezra Thomson for PNB’s annual Next Step choreographers’ showcase performances in 2011 and 2012.

Elle Macy is from Huntington Beach, California. She studied at Orange County Dance Center and on scholarship at Pacific Northwest Ballet School. She attended summer courses at the School of American Ballet, American Ballet Theatre and PNB School. Ms. Macy has performed a leading role in Andrew Bartee’s arms that work and featured roles in Kent Stowell’s Nutcracker. While a student at PNB School, she performed corps de ballet roles with PNB in George Balanchine’s Coppélia and A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Peter Boal’s Giselle, Alexei Ratmansky’s Don Quixote, Kent Stowell’s Cinderella, and Christopher Wheeldon’s Carousel (A Dance). In addition, she performed the title role in Bruce Wells’ Snow White. Ms. Macy originated a leading role in Price Suddarth’s Time Out for PNB School’s annual School Performance in 2012. She also originated roles in ballets by Kiyon Gaines, Eric Hipolito Jr., Sean Rollofson, Price Suddarth, and Ezra Thomson for Pacific Northwest Ballet’s annual Next Step choreographers’ showcase performances in 2011 and 2012. Ms. Macy has won awards from several competitions, including the Youth American Grand Prix, Spotlight Scholarship Competition, and Dance Masters of America.

Usually promotion announcements are made before the show, not after. But that doesn't meant this will always be the way.

It did feel a bit unusual, but honestly, bringing him out in front of the curtain before the performance would have been stranger. I imagine that the pre-show prep for Romeo is difficult enough without adding anything else.