This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013-14 season

sandik

I was curious, after reading the Sun-Times report on next year's season, how many different versions of Romeo and Juliet has the Joffrey performed over the life of the company? I know they were touring a version in the early 1980s (I think Cranko, but don't have time to doublecheck right now), but I seem to remember them performing another version as well -- can anyone here help me fill in the blanks?

as follows:

Romeo and Juliet : Chor: Oscar Araiz; mus: Sergei Prokof'ev; cos: Renata Schussheim. First perf: Buenos Aires, Sept 15, 1970, Ballet del Teatro San Martin. // First perf. by The Joffrey Ballet: New York, City Center Fifty-Fifth Street Dance Theater, Oct 12, 1977; lighting: Jennifer Tipton.

this version had, if mem. serves 3 different dancers as Juliet and one waggish press agent said as she was attending a perf. that she was waiting for the version with 3 Romeos.

Ah, thank you so much -- I remember this. And now that I think more clearly, the production I was trying to remember from the 1980s touring rep was Cranko's Shrew, not a Romeo. (I'd seen the Cranko R&J elsewhere, and I guess I was conflating the two...) Now to find out when the last time they did the Ariaz -- I guess I'm surprised that they were without a R&J in the intervening years. It's become so ubiquitous.

very likely the staff around Joffrey was as conscious of history and the company's history as Robert Joffrey was himself.

you might try writing the co. for some archivist's name, or check Sasha Anawalt's book for possible mentions of the repertory.