Who are the Tribesmen?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ascballerina

ascballerina

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I watched La Bayadere with my sister today, and she asked me who "the guys with the long hair" were. I was forced to reply that I actually didn't know; I assumed they were from a very low caste, but I would find out for her. I'm calling them tribesmen in the title for lack of a better term to describe them. She also wanted to know, and I'm with her on this, where the loyalties of the one who keeps appearing lie. I at first thought that he was helping Solor, but then it looks like he's helping the Rajah a little later...

#2 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hi ascballerina,
I think the people you are referring to are the "Fakirs" they are the lower cast guardians of the sacred fire. . which takes an integral part in rhe story. The Chief Fakir is the one who informs Nikiya that solor is waiting for her., and that the Brahmin has been watching them. He is also the one who snatches and kills the snake that bites her. Do yiou mean the Brahmin who trys to seduce Nikiya, if so he wants her for himself, but is over rulled by the Rajah. when Nikiya is dying the Brahmin (Chief Priest) offers her an antedote to save her, but when she looks towards Solor, who is in different , she decides to die. Hope that answers you questions.

#3 ascballerina

ascballerina

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

No, I meant the Fakirs. :) Thanks for the clarification!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):