• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

If she really feels that threatened, why would she agree to a series of interviews that give the exact location of herself and her family?

In a Toronto Star article from January 29 Kevin Pugh was quoted as saying that "he doesn’t know her that well yet but said she seemed 'a little nervous' about giving out her contact details."
http://www.thestar.c...rom_russia.html

As for the location of her house, that was revealed by the press:
"Documents obtained by The Globe and Mail show that, since 2010, they have owned a million-dollar home in Kleinburg, Ont., a wealthy community about an hour’s drive north-west of Toronto."
http://www.theglobea...article7937024/

#17 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

There is an interesting article in the Princeton "Town Topics", regarding Lunkina's visit to Princeton University for 4 days of 'teaching':
http://www.towntopic...ncing/?3e3ea140

“This is someone who was considered the number one ballerina at the Bolshoi,” he said. “She lives an hour and a half outside of Toronto and she has small children, so it hasn’t been easy for her to get to class every day. Life is not normal for her right now. But here she was in class with us, this tiny, thin ballerina with all of the attributes Russian ballerinas have. She jumped at least as high, if not higher, than any of the men in class. Our mouths just dropped open.

“She was like a kid in a candy store, doing every combination [of movements] six or seven times. She wasn’t showing off, she was just thrilled to be working. She is special. She has the wonderment still left in her, a desire to get better. And it’s a beautiful thing to see.”

I was struck by this statement, “You’d think that ballet companies would jump at the opportunity to hire her, but it’s not that easy,” Mr. Martin said...because this situation comes up a lot more often than one would think. It's almost a liability to be at the top of your profession - too many expectations and too many strings attached. I remember Aurelie Dupont talking about wanting to dance for ABT, but they weren't interested in her particular proposal - and I didn't get the sense that they were even looking to work something out. Dance fans might think that it would be great to see their favorite dancer perform with different troups, but it's a really small group of dancers that can do this with any consistency (and not cancel out of engagements half the time, which doesn't make any friends).

#18 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

I remember Aurelie Dupont talking about wanting to dance for ABT, but they weren't interested in her particular proposal - and I didn't get the sense that they were even looking to work something out.

Perhaps Ms. Dupont just lacks the correct agent. Posted Image

#19 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

I remember Aurelie Dupont talking about wanting to dance for ABT, but they weren't interested in her particular proposal - and I didn't get the sense that they were even looking to work something out.

No doubt there is an unwritten protocol - different for each company. Have fun guessing what it is they want to hear!

#20 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Mme. Dupont needs to sign with Ardani.Posted Image

#21 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Svetlana Lunkina will be dancing Don Quixote grand pas de deux in National Ballet of Canada's Gala June 12th.

http://national.ball....htm#repertoire

#22 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Svetlana Lunkina will be dancing Don Quixote grand pas de deux in National Ballet of Canada's Gala June 12th.

http://national.ball....htm#repertoire

I hope this is an audition in disguise, if all goes well and audience love her (who doesn't?), NBoC would sign her. Did she leave Bolshoi officially? NBoC lists her as former principal of Bolshoi.

#23 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Personally, I hope that Wayne McGregor is lobbying on her behalf at the Royal Ballet.

#24 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

I think she is safer in Canada. Too many Russians have met their demise under cloudy circumstances in Britain. Far too easy for the shadowy people to enter the country.

#25 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

I hope Lunkina remains in Toronto as well. O'Hare (and MacGregor) have made their choice: The Royal has signed Osipova. Lunkina is still pictured and listed on the Bolshoi Theatre site as a Principal. Incidentally, Pavel Dmitrichenko, the accused in the Filin case, is still listed as well. So, officially they haven't (yet?) been "expunged" from the Theatre. We'll see what happens.

#26 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

I noticed that in the written introduction to the Bolshoi Ballet that always precedes its cinemacasts, Lunkina's name has been removed from the shortlist of the company's current stars. ermm.gif Tsiskaridze is gone, too, replaced by Artem Ovcharenko and Semyon Chudin. (You've got to be kidding me.) Ruslan Skvortsov's surname is still misspelled.

#27 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yet to dance is still her priority and, if as seems likely, a return to the Bolshoi proves impracticable, Lunkina would like to base herself in a company rather than piece together an international career as a freelance artist. “I’m not a ballerina who has to dance at any cost.”

Could that base be the National Ballet? It would certainly be a coup for the company to have Lunkina on the roster, but the prospect is dim.

“I don’t have the budget for an extra principal ballerina,” says Kain. And even if the money was there, Kain explains that with a limited number of performances, accommodating Lunkina would mean denying someone else stage time.

Kain remains sympathetic: “This is her time. It’s a sad situation for a dancer, not being able to practise your art when you’re top of your game.”

http://www.thestar.c...fundraiser.html

#28 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yet to dance is still her priority and, if as seems likely, a return to the Bolshoi proves impracticable, Lunkina would like to base herself in a company rather than piece together an international career as a freelance artist. “I’m not a ballerina who has to dance at any cost.”

Could that base be the National Ballet? It would certainly be a coup for the company to have Lunkina on the roster, but the prospect is dim.

“I don’t have the budget for an extra principal ballerina,” says Kain. And even if the money was there, Kain explains that with a limited number of performances, accommodating Lunkina would mean denying someone else stage time.

Kain remains sympathetic: “This is her time. It’s a sad situation for a dancer, not being able to practise your art when you’re top of your game.”

http://www.thestar.c...fundraiser.html

Isn't that what special donors are for? Kain needs to ask for the additional monies from the wealthy arts supporters, for, say, a 2 year 'trial' period.

#29 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

The quote indicates Ms. Kain is sensitive to taking away another principal woman's opportunity - who has paid her dues at NBC. Plus there is the issue of work visas - how many foreign artists does NBC already have on board? While this may not be important to balletomanes, it can be very important to politicians.

#30 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

The article states that Lunkina has permanent residence in Canada by virtue of her husband's Canadian citizenship. She requires no visa to live and work in the country and is eligible for virtually any job she likes. (As it stands two-thirds of the company's principals are immigrants to Canada.)

As for the ballerinas who have "paid their dues," I won't name names but they include a dancer whose entrechats don't clear the floor and another who has the flimsiest fouettés I've seen from a principal dancer. Karen Kain is nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):