6 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Irina Dvorovenko will dance her last performance with ABT in May.

Ms. Dvorovenko plans to continue dancing as a guest artist with other companies, Ballet Theater said. Ms. Dvorovenko is married to fellow principal dancer Maxim Beloserkovsky. She did not immediately respond to an e-mail sent by a company official.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

The Bolshoi appoints an interim artistic director.

Galina Stepanenko, a prize-winning dancer with the Bolshoi since 1990, was presented as the interim director at a meeting of the troupe Tuesday. Anatoly Iksanov, the general director, said she would guide the company until Filin, who was attacked late Thursday, returns to work. Stepanenko, a teacher and choreographer, began her career with the Moscow Classical Ballet in 1984.

Video.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Sergei Filin speaks to the press.

The Wall Street Journal

Doctors said Mr. Filin will need at least six months to recover and they should be able to save his left eye at the very least. Mr. Filin said he doesn't care what happens to his appearance as long as he can work and live a full life.

"I cannot promise that I will return a handsome man, but I guarantee that I will return full of strength," he said. "My eyes are my biggest concern."

The New York Times

Mr. Filin made pointed comments about dissent from within the company, suggesting it had been allowed to grow to dangerous proportions. Asked by the reporter about “attacks” that followed the theater’s grand reopening in 2011 — likely a reference to harsh public criticism — Mr. Filin said they could have been prevented.

RT

Filin is being treated in a Moscow hospital, and will require several other surgeries in the coming days. On Tuesday the doctors will reportedly be removing deeply damaged tissues and will probably make a skin graft to cover the deep wounds. Another eye surgery is planned for Wednesday. The doctors are struggling to save the Bolshoi artistic director’s eyesight and say the prospects for that are quite optimistic.

The prosecutors investigating the incident haven’t put forward any motives for the attack, and there are no formal suspects.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Another story on the Filin attack.

Mr. Iksanov said he suspected that the goal of the attack on Mr. Filin was to destabilize the theater, which has no security service since “we are neither a military organization nor a business structure,” and added that “psychologically, even we don’t really comprehend the entire extent of possible risks.”

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Charleston Ballet Theatre's problems continue with another mass resignation from the board of directors.

The previous board of directors resigned in February 2012 following charges of plagiarism, the ill treatment of dancers, and financial mismanagement. (Last January, the ballet was more than 90 days late in paying $20,491.98 to the S.C. Employment Security Commission, and $25,964.81 in arrears to the IRS.) Then in the spring, the CBT announced a new board of directors and a broad-based restructuring plan.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

A review of New York City Ballet by Robert Gottlieb in The New York Observer.

Then came one of the finest performances I’ve seen in years at City Ballet: Tiler Peck in Allegro Brillante. I was sitting with another old-time, somewhat jaded critic, and we were gasping in delight at Peck’s sublime command—the tossed-off triple pirouettes, the incredible tight corkscrew turns, the musicality so natural, so effortless, so secure that everything in this explosive ballet just flowed easily along with no hitch and no push. Here was Balanchine dancing at its pinnacle. If only he had been there to see it.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

More on the troubles at Charleston Ballet Theatre.

And that lack of funding directly impacts the dancers, who were told this week that their pay would be suspended indefinitely. However, they were urged to continue to dance for the company in the hopes that they would eventually receive their pay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):