This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Irina Dvorovenko Retiring from ABT

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

I think Irina knew exactly what she was doing. She has been in the business a long time and is pretty sophisticated. If she burned any bridges, I'm sure she must have felt that there was no bridge there anyway.

#17 bingham

bingham

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Remember that ABT also lost Georgina Parkinson not so long ago. ABT would do very well to hire Irina and Max to do some coaching. However, I think the negative publicity from the articles will preclude that type of job offer. Such a shame.

During the time of Lucia Chase, the arrival of Makarova, Barysnikov and other European guests(Dowell,Haydee,Seymour) caused a similar situation for the regular ABT dancers. Cynthia Gregory and Fernando Bujones were very vocal of their dissatisfaction.Fernando left the company for a while

#18 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Remember that ABT also lost Georgina Parkinson not so long ago. ABT would do very well to hire Irina and Max to do some coaching. However, I think the negative publicity from the articles will preclude that type of job offer. Such a shame.

During the time of Lucia Chase, the arrival of Makarova, Barysnikov and other European guests(Dowell,Haydee,Seymour) caused a similar situation for the regular ABT dancers. Cynthia Gregory and Fernando Bujones were very vocal of their dissatisfaction.Fernando left the company for a while

Ironically, perhaps, published sources also said Martine van Hamel was very unhappy about a sense of being pushed out.

#19 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ironically, perhaps, published sources also said Martine van Hamel was very unhappy about a sense of being pushed out.

That's true. I was an ABT viewer then and thought that people like Martine van Hamel and Marianna Tcherkassky suffered more than Cynthia G. Cynthia became a star. I think in ABT today Gillian Murphy and Julie Kent feel the brunt of imported stars things less than others do.

This is not a new thing. ABT has always been the company that does big ballets and imports stars. If a company does a lot of Swan Lakes people buy ticket to see a famous swan queen, meanwhile over-qualified people in the company are shedding tears over who does the pas de trois. Imagine being a woman who medals in competitions being awarded with a contract to a company and then spending years hoping to get to do SL pas de trois? That's the way it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):