This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Irina Dvorovenko Retiring from ABT

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

I think Irina knew exactly what she was doing. She has been in the business a long time and is pretty sophisticated. If she burned any bridges, I'm sure she must have felt that there was no bridge there anyway.

#17 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Remember that ABT also lost Georgina Parkinson not so long ago. ABT would do very well to hire Irina and Max to do some coaching. However, I think the negative publicity from the articles will preclude that type of job offer. Such a shame.

During the time of Lucia Chase, the arrival of Makarova, Barysnikov and other European guests(Dowell,Haydee,Seymour) caused a similar situation for the regular ABT dancers. Cynthia Gregory and Fernando Bujones were very vocal of their dissatisfaction.Fernando left the company for a while

#18 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Remember that ABT also lost Georgina Parkinson not so long ago. ABT would do very well to hire Irina and Max to do some coaching. However, I think the negative publicity from the articles will preclude that type of job offer. Such a shame.

During the time of Lucia Chase, the arrival of Makarova, Barysnikov and other European guests(Dowell,Haydee,Seymour) caused a similar situation for the regular ABT dancers. Cynthia Gregory and Fernando Bujones were very vocal of their dissatisfaction.Fernando left the company for a while

Ironically, perhaps, published sources also said Martine van Hamel was very unhappy about a sense of being pushed out.

#19 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ironically, perhaps, published sources also said Martine van Hamel was very unhappy about a sense of being pushed out.

That's true. I was an ABT viewer then and thought that people like Martine van Hamel and Marianna Tcherkassky suffered more than Cynthia G. Cynthia became a star. I think in ABT today Gillian Murphy and Julie Kent feel the brunt of imported stars things less than others do.

This is not a new thing. ABT has always been the company that does big ballets and imports stars. If a company does a lot of Swan Lakes people buy ticket to see a famous swan queen, meanwhile over-qualified people in the company are shedding tears over who does the pas de trois. Imagine being a woman who medals in competitions being awarded with a contract to a company and then spending years hoping to get to do SL pas de trois? That's the way it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):