This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sergei Filin Attacked

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#106 solo

solo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I have seen her Myrtha in May last year. In June she also danced Alonso's Carmen.
I wish some young dancers could dance like her.

#107 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

There have been many messages for Filin from dancers and companies. I was just looking up some info on the Ballets de Monte Carlo site, and found this message:

The Ballets de Monte-Carlo and Jean-Christophe Maillot wish to express all their support to Sergeï Filin,
after the tragic event that happened to him last Thursday night.
We really want to communicate our sincere friendship and all our encouragement for his recovery.

With all our best wishes and our loyal friendship.

http://www.balletsde...de-monte-carlo/

#108 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

She was born in 1966 so I'm not sure if Nikiya remains in her rep. She was coached by none other than Semyonova (as was Tsiskaridze) so, yes, Stepanenko was a wonderful Nikiya.

A mere 46 years old, Fonteyn was dancing Bayadere at that age why shouldn't Stepanenko?

In my book the older the ballerina the better.

Ditto

#109 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

I certainly wish Stepanenko the best (and safety!) in her new interim duties. Mashinka, I looked-up birthdays in the Encyclopaedia of Russian Ballet; Stepanenko is 3.5 years older than Gracheva. However, she joined the Bolshoi in 1990, a few months after Gracheva, because the first four years of her (Stepanenko's) career were spent at the Stanislavsky. Anna Antonicheva graduated and entered the Bolshoi's ranks a year after Stepanenko -- in 1991. All wonderful 'last muses' of Grigorovich in his 'prime time' as full AD, before the big changes of 1995.

Here's to the mature ladies of the Bolshoi!

How strangely odd and wonderful to have a LADY in charge of the Bolshoi Ballet, finally, even if it is an interim situation, arising from a horrible event.

#110 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

An update in the times, saying Filin will be able to work again:

http://www.nytimes.c...-attack.html?hp

#111 solo

solo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Galina Stepanenko's career started with Moscow Classical Ballet (1984–88).
Then she danced at Stanislavasky for 2 years (1988–90).
Since 1990 she has been with the Bolshoi.
All Principals loved to dance with her so technically strong and professional she is.
Sergei trusts her completely and continues - between operations and treatment sessions - to perform some of his duties as the Director's, for example, he instructs her in view of the forthcoming recording and transmission of La Bayadere. It sounds reassuring.
Good luck to them both.

#112 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

A random comment on sad state of arts: I've haven't had this many people interested in discussing ballet with me since Black Swan was released. Many friends/family members have forwarded links to news reports or brought it up in conversation.

#113 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

A random comment on sad state of arts: I've haven't had this many people interested in discussing ballet with me since Black Swan was released. Many friends/family members have forwarded links to news reports or brought it up in conversation.

Me too -- the number of friends who are not part of the dance community but yet have heard about this is impressive, and depressing -- all at once.

#114 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Another Facebook attack against Filin appeared Jan. 24th according to this article
http://www.vmdaily.r...1359016577.html

Summary/translation: Although the posts were dated Jan 11-12th, they appeared yesterday. This is the second time attacks have come on Facebook, the first being November, when a false page was created in Filin's name by someone attempting to make it look as if he was against the Bolshoi administration. When that page was deleted, a similar one trying to compromise his assistant was posted.

#115 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Right now the fake page is still there, though it's pretty obviously fake, especially it says Female for sex and says they were born in Turkey.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/filinbolshoi?fref=ts

#116 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Svetlana Zakharova spoke to the audience at the Bolshoi after this evening's performance of La Bayadere. If no one translates by the time I come back I will return with a brief/rough translation from a friend:

#117 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

Is the translation given in this article/feature from Sky news?

http://news.sky.com/...return-to-stage

#118 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Evidently not; I'm told it was asking for support and good wishes for him in his recovery etc. I thought it was very touching and sweet.

#119 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

I thought that the expressions/reactions of the dancers during the speech were particularly moving.

I found some more footage of the Bayadere rehearsal in a report from the Moscow correspondent/Phil Black of Sunriseon7 (Australia). Focus now is on moving forward. There will also need to be some work to repair damage to their reputation.

The clip includes some film of the press conference with Galina Stepanenko.

#120 ascballerina

ascballerina

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

This article from the London Daily Telegraph was in my newspaper yesterday (funny, this same newspaper ran this article, but not one on the actual attack).

Bolshoi's Principal Ballet Dancer Interviewed Over Acid Attack on Artistic Director

I wonder if they will say anything at La Bayadere today that's being broadcast to all the cinemas....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):