652 replies to this topic

#511 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

Tsiskaridze has not lost his status and job with the state-run Kultura channel, as I just saw him emceeing last night's ballet program (POB in 3 modern ballets - Kylian Nuages and Bejart's Firebird & Bolero).

#512 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

March 25 (today) CNN English TV report/interview with Volochkova:
https://www.youtube....h?v=Cm-6tg8K6ek

A lot of what she says may be twisted or 'enhanced' but the bit about "...wealthy donors can now dictate which girl dances which part..." rings true, and not just for the Bolshoi. Think further north, with the inexplicable castings of certain pet-favorites. In a way, this is just a continuation of Tsarist times, when some dancers were 'sponsored' & moved up the ranks by Romanov Grand Dukes and such.

#513 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

Tsiskaridze has not lost his status and job with the state-run Kultura channel, as I just saw him emceeing last night's ballet program (POB in 3 modern ballets - Kylian Nuages and Bejart's Firebird & Bolero).

Ilya didn't say that Tsiskaridze lost status or his job, but the way I read it, that the media had been diverted to another crime and won't be as interested in Tsiskaridze's opinions or job aspirations.

#514 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

but the bit about "...wealthy donors can now dictate which girl dances which part..." rings true, and not just for the Bolshoi. Think further north, with the inexplicable castings of certain pet-favorites. In a way, this is just a continuation of Tsarist times, when some dancers were 'sponsored' & moved up the ranks by Romanov Grand Dukes and such.

This seems to happen at ABT. Certain ABT dancers are "sponsored" by various wealthy patrons, and I have no doubt that casting is influenced by these patrons in some instances at ABT. In some cases, it is perfectly evident that the dancers have unquestionable talents and rose to the top of the heap the old fashioned way - hard work and merit. However, in other cases the level of talent/technique is questionable, and the meteoric rise to lead parts makes sense only if we consider certain other factors, such as donor influence.

#515 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

Ismene Brown has posted the translation of an Izvetsia article in which the Artistic Council rejected the dancers union's bid to join the Artistic Council to her blog:

http://www.ismeneb.c...ticipation.html

Filin participated through Skype.

"Experience has shown that to have only one leader for the company leads to regrettable consequences. We have considered the inclusion on the opera and ballet artistic councils of performer representatives. Presently these bodies comprise only managers, and the artistic councils work at a remove from the collective," a union member explained to Izvestia.

While having a single leader does not prevent factions, it does mean that one person, to paraphrase Beverly Sills, "doesn't share credit, doesn't share blame, and doesn't share dessert."

#516 Ilya

Ilya

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]Two more links on the alleged break-in:[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]http://www.mk.ru/dai...rabotnitsa.html[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]http://lifenews.ru/news/112016[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]I don't have time to translate the whole thing, but the gist is that the prosecutor's office is no longer (as of March 22) classifying this as a criminal investigation because the police hadn't presented enough evidence that a crime may have been committed. The first article says that an hour before Tsiskaridze came home, his housekeeper left his apartment, and that the broken key may have belonged to her. The elevator repairmen who were working there that day claimed that they did not see any strangers. Both articles say that more investigative work would need to be done in order to determine whether in fact an attempted break-in took place. I haven't seen any updates on this since March 22.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]As to his address, I have not seen it given out in the media. The articles I've seen only specify the street, but not the building number or the apartment number.[/size][/size][/font]

#517 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Some of the maneuvering by interested parties may appear to favor Mr. Tsiskaridze, but I think some of them are just opportunists, trying for a power grab. If they win, that doesn't mean Tsiskaridze gets the top spot. It means the opportunists' apparatchnik gets the top spot.

BTW if you subscribe to Facebook, "like" Odette's Ordeal. The administrator has a gorgeous photo of Sergei Filin today, no shirt, no trousers, no smalls, and the photo cuts off just in the right place on the bottom to make it FB-policy-compliant.

#518 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

Ilya didn't say that Tsiskaridze lost status or his job, but the way I read it, that the media had been diverted to another crime and won't be as interested in Tsiskaridze's opinions or job aspirations.

Did I mention Ilya? Just an informational post on NT still being highly visible as the 'happy host' of a TV show.

#519 Alayna

Alayna

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

"BTW if you subscribe to Facebook, "like" Odette's Ordeal. The administrator has a gorgeous photo of Sergei Filin today, no shirt, no trousers, no smalls, and the photo cuts off just in the right place on the bottom to make it FB-policy-compliant."

Wow. Wish there was a "love" button I could click on for that photo. :)

#520 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Direct link to Filin photo:

https://www.facebook...07542677&type=1

#521 Alayna

Alayna

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Here's a link to an interesting article. Maybe this will silence some of those self-appointed burn experts claiming that Sergei Filin couldn't have been attacked with acid because his face doesn't look as bad as they think it should.

http://indrus.in/eco...gion_23335.html

#522 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

That is an amazing discovery. From what I've read about severe burns is that the biggest general issue is infection, and if the skin can heal and be a barrier to the infectious bacteria, that in itself is a near miracle. I would also guess that it can keep nerves from being tied up in scar tissue, and depending where the burn is, to allow flexible skin tissue to regenerate, as opposed to thick, inflexible scar tissue.

Wow. Posted Image to the scientists who developed this.

#523 Alayna

Alayna

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

I think they deserve a Nobel Prize. :)

#524 Ilya

Ilya

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

According to the New York Times, artificial skin was invented in the 1970's at Harvard/MIT/Mass General: http://www.nytimes.c...-skin.html?_r=0

#525 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

Out of interest, is it common practice to publish the address of victims of an attempted break-in in Russia? It certainly isn't in the UK, furthermore a compensation claim could be made for such a disclosure and the paper involved would probably be fined.

At least one story published Tsiskaridze's building number, and a television program that aired today showed the floor on which his apartment is located. I wouldn't be surprised if the apartment number were made public eventually.

http://izvestia.ru/news/547205
http://www.ntv.ru/peredacha/Bolshoy/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):