652 replies to this topic

#31 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sudebna meditSINskih = forensic scientists

Thanks so much -- I don't think I would have puzzled that one out!

#32 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

He must be on his way to Belgium now. The bedside interview (what I saw on Al Jazeera) with the bandages took place soon after the operations in Moscow. Bravo to Sergei Filin -- what he has gone through in the past 24 hours, still with the spirit and fortitude to sit up and do a brief TV interview, describing his ordeal!

#33 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Very latest in a longer-than-usual report by Ismene Brown (Arts Desk - UK) which most definitely names 'persons of interest.' Filin's mother says that they know exactly who is behind this. Also, Iskanov offers news that the computer hacker who posted nasty things on Filin's Facebook account has been arrested. Police are working overtime, round the clock.

http://www.theartsde...ight-threatened

#34 ascballerina

ascballerina

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I do hope for a full recovery for Filin. I think this attack opens a window into the Claque culture surrounding the arts in Russia (at least at the major institutions in Moscow and St. Petersburg).

Forgive me, but what's Claque culture?

#35 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Some dancers employ loud-mouthed local fans to sit in the auditorium and yell 'BRAVO!' whenever the employer dances. Some claqueurs are even paid extra to make ugly noises, hiss or cough at pauses during a rival dancer's solo...all to derail the rival. This happens now and I've reported on some of the better-known claqueurs in St Petersburg, including the (in)famous Yevgeni, a.k.a. Bravo Man. The practice is well documented in Czarist times. Nothing new.

#36 ascballerina

ascballerina

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

That's horrible! Sorry to get off-topic there for a second, and thanks for answering the question!

#37 jose manuel

jose manuel

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

video of sergei filin in hospital

#38 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

"[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=4]Sergei Filin may be as much a victim of Bolshoi ballet politics as acid attack"[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=4]by Judith Mackrell, The Guardian, 18 January 2013[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=4]http://www.guardian....p=ILCMUSTXT9383[/size][/font]

#39 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I wish him a good recovery. My thoughts are with him and his family...

#40 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

What a terrible act. My thoughts are with Mr. Filin and his family and I wish him a speedy and good recovery. How awful.

~ Karen

#41 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

What a sick cowardly thing to do, how can a human being do this to another, it is incomprehensible. I have just watched the report on the ITV Ten oclock news, which showed Serguei Filin in hospital, and from what he said it would appear that not only his face and eyes are effected, but the attacker also went behind him and threw the acid at the back of his head, and down his back. He also feared he was going to be shot.

I hope he makes a rapid recovery and any treatment is a success. It was said that he would be going to Europe for specilist surgery.

#42 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

What a monstrous thing to do to someone. My prayers are with Mr. Filin and his family.

#43 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

One of the links references a quote from Nikolai Tsiskaridze who stated the attackers were related to Mr. Filin's love life or his control over the Bolshoi budget. At the very minimum, these comments are certainly are unhelpful and distressing for Mrs. Filina. They may be slanderous (we know nothing of his love life or if he has much control over the money pots). They may even be a distraction, to throw attention away from Mr. Tsiskaridze's on-going office politics war with the current management at the Bolshoi.

While he may be an amazing dancer, and caring partner to his ballerinas, he certainly does not show the type of diplomacy in a crisis situation that would be needed to run the Bolshoi. I think Mr. Tsiskaridze should thank his lucky stars that he was not selected for management, and hasn't put himself in the position to be harassed, extorted and maimed by Russian criminals. I think he may be fired for his comments, and most certainly will fall under suspicion as a backer of the attack, after the severe response to his December letter to the Kremlin advocating for the Management position.

#44 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

I have been away from news and just read this terrible, terrible story this moment when I opened up the Ballet Talk website. I am deeply saddened. Best thoughts to Sergei Filin and his family. May his attacker (and anyone involved) be caught...

#45 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

RT reports that Filin's eyesight has been saved. I hope it is true:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):