This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sergei Filin Attacked

Politico calls for Bolshoi to “elect its leaders”. Ismene Brown Blog. 22 March 2013

http://www.ismeneb.c...ts_leaders.html

Main Ismene Brown Blog Page with previous articles including "Treasury auditors move in on Bolshoi spending". 21 March 2013.

http://www.ismeneb.c.../Blog/Blog.html

Madame Kondratieva stated... what in Izvestia?

"Our leaders must stay the way they are, they are right for us. I think our artistic council can cope with all

the problems - everything's running normally; and soon everyone will be back in their usual seats."

With great respect to Kondratieva, after everything that's happened including the latest escalation/incident, IMO no - everything's not running normally and no they're not coping. Bless her for trying to put the best spin on it, but this has gone way beyond the realm of damage control. After all that has happened, status quo cannot be the end game. There must be a resolution. Sadly I think it's safe to say that it won't be amicable, and no one will be satisfied with the outcome. The Federation Treasury is conducting the audit. Forgive my skepticism but who is auditing the auditors? OMG what a bl**dy mess.

Not sure why the alleged attempted break-in to Tsiskaridze's apartment is being discussed here, as it is not part of the attacks on Sergey Filin. (At least not yet. I suspect that Mr. Tsiskaridze might soon be all over the airwaves claiming that Filin and Iksanov wanted to break into his apartment.) But since the original post on this incident was in this thread, I'll keep posting here.

More on this: http://www.gazeta.ru...n_2811381.shtml

A criminal investigation was started because of the statement of the Bolshoi principal dancer Nikolay Tsiskaridze regarding an attempt by unknown persons to get into his apartment, reports "Interfax" citing police sources.

The agency's source said: "An investigation of this incident was started according to articles 30 and 158 of the Penal Code (attempted theft)."

This incident became publicized a day earlier. After coming home to 3rd Frunzenskaya St, Tsiskaridze was unable to open the door because of a malfunction of the lock, and called service people who told him that the lock was likely damaged during a break-in attempt.

During the inspection the police established that no trespassers entered the apartment during the owner's absence. Forensic experts took the locks from both doors for investigation.

The conspiracy theories, in absence of more information from the police, are running rampant. I have a hard time keeping track of them. But I feel badly for Mr. Tsiskaridze that his apartment was burgled. I've had it happen, and the feeling of insecurity doesn't ever go away if you continue to live there.

The conspiracy theories, in absence of more information from the police, are running rampant. I have a hard time keeping track of them. But I feel badly for Mr. Tsiskaridze that his apartment was burgled. I've had it happen, and the feeling of insecurity doesn't ever go away if you continue to live there.

But according to Ilya's translation, one of the few solid pieces of information we have is that he was NOT burlged.

And while it may have been true for you that you were forever after insecure in your home after being burgled, it is not a foregone conclusion.

My family's apartment was burgled when I was quite small (someone forced entry and robbed us at night, while we were at home) and after a few small security upgrades, amazingly, we all managed to live there quite happily, some to this day, without feeling insecure or scared.

We can feel relieved for him that his apartment wasn't entered, but maybe we should save the sympathy for those who were actually attacked.

Out of interest, is it common practice to publish the address of victims of an attempted break-in in Russia? It certainly isn't in the UK, furthermore a compensation claim could be made for such a disclosure and the paper involved would probably be fined.

March 25 (today) CNN English TV report/interview with Volochkova:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Cm-6tg8K6ek

A lot of what she says may be twisted or 'enhanced' but the bit about "...wealthy donors can now dictate which girl dances which part..." rings true, and not just for the Bolshoi. Think further north, with the inexplicable castings of certain pet-favorites. In a way, this is just a continuation of Tsarist times, when some dancers were 'sponsored' & moved up the ranks by Romanov Grand Dukes and such.

Tsiskaridze has not lost his status and job with the state-run Kultura channel, as I just saw him emceeing last night's ballet program (POB in 3 modern ballets - Kylian Nuages and Bejart's Firebird & Bolero).

Ilya didn't say that Tsiskaridze lost status or his job, but the way I read it, that the media had been diverted to another crime and won't be as interested in Tsiskaridze's opinions or job aspirations.

but the bit about "...wealthy donors can now dictate which girl dances which part..." rings true, and not just for the Bolshoi. Think further north, with the inexplicable castings of certain pet-favorites. In a way, this is just a continuation of Tsarist times, when some dancers were 'sponsored' & moved up the ranks by Romanov Grand Dukes and such.

This seems to happen at ABT. Certain ABT dancers are "sponsored" by various wealthy patrons, and I have no doubt that casting is influenced by these patrons in some instances at ABT. In some cases, it is perfectly evident that the dancers have unquestionable talents and rose to the top of the heap the old fashioned way - hard work and merit. However, in other cases the level of talent/technique is questionable, and the meteoric rise to lead parts makes sense only if we consider certain other factors, such as donor influence.

Ismene Brown has posted the translation of an Izvetsia article in which the Artistic Council rejected the dancers union's bid to join the Artistic Council to her blog:

http://www.ismeneb.com/ismeneb.com/Blog/Entries/2013/3/25_Bolshoi_artistic_council_says_no_to_dancer_participation.html

Filin participated through Skype.

"Experience has shown that to have only one leader for the company leads to regrettable consequences. We have considered the inclusion on the opera and ballet artistic councils of performer representatives. Presently these bodies comprise only managers, and the artistic councils work at a remove from the collective," a union member explained to Izvestia.

While having a single leader does not prevent factions, it does mean that one person, to paraphrase Beverly Sills, "doesn't share credit, doesn't share blame, and doesn't share dessert."

Two more links on the alleged break-in:

http://www.mk.ru/dai...rabotnitsa.html

http://lifenews.ru/news/112016

I don't have time to translate the whole thing, but the gist is that the prosecutor's office is no longer (as of March 22) classifying this as a criminal investigation because the police hadn't presented enough evidence that a crime may have been committed. The first article says that an hour before Tsiskaridze came home, his housekeeper left his apartment, and that the broken key may have belonged to her. The elevator repairmen who were working there that day claimed that they did not see any strangers. Both articles say that more investigative work would need to be done in order to determine whether in fact an attempted break-in took place. I haven't seen any updates on this since March 22.

As to his address, I have not seen it given out in the media. The articles I've seen only specify the street, but not the building number or the apartment number.

Some of the maneuvering by interested parties may appear to favor Mr. Tsiskaridze, but I think some of them are just opportunists, trying for a power grab. If they win, that doesn't mean Tsiskaridze gets the top spot. It means the opportunists' apparatchnik gets the top spot.

BTW if you subscribe to Facebook, "like" Odette's Ordeal. The administrator has a gorgeous photo of Sergei Filin today, no shirt, no trousers, no smalls, and the photo cuts off just in the right place on the bottom to make it FB-policy-compliant.

Tsiskaridze has not lost his status and job with the state-run Kultura channel, as I just saw him emceeing last night's ballet program (POB in 3 modern ballets - Kylian Nuages and Bejart's Firebird & Bolero).

Ilya didn't say that Tsiskaridze lost status or his job, but the way I read it, that the media had been diverted to another crime and won't be as interested in Tsiskaridze's opinions or job aspirations.

Did I mention Ilya? Just an informational post on NT still being highly visible as the 'happy host' of a TV show.

"BTW if you subscribe to Facebook, "like" Odette's Ordeal. The administrator has a gorgeous photo of Sergei Filin today, no shirt, no trousers, no smalls, and the photo cuts off just in the right place on the bottom to make it FB-policy-compliant."

Wow. Wish there was a "love" button I could click on for that photo. :)

That is an amazing discovery. From what I've read about severe burns is that the biggest general issue is infection, and if the skin can heal and be a barrier to the infectious bacteria, that in itself is a near miracle. I would also guess that it can keep nerves from being tied up in scar tissue, and depending where the burn is, to allow flexible skin tissue to regenerate, as opposed to thick, inflexible scar tissue.

Wow. bow.GIF to the scientists who developed this.

Out of interest, is it common practice to publish the address of victims of an attempted break-in in Russia? It certainly isn't in the UK, furthermore a compensation claim could be made for such a disclosure and the paper involved would probably be fined.

At least one story published Tsiskaridze's building number, and a television program that aired today showed the floor on which his apartment is located. I wouldn't be surprised if the apartment number were made public eventually.

http://izvestia.ru/news/547205

http://www.ntv.ru/peredacha/Bolshoy/