This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sergei Filin Attacked

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#256 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Good grief!! I pray that Hallberg will survive this "cesspool of a Company" (Ratmansky's description....)

Actually, it's not his description. On Facebook Ratmansky made a reference to a "disgusting claque" (klaka), but I think it was mistranslated into French. You can see how there could be confusion between the words cloaque and claque. The Russian word for cesspool is vygrebnaya yama or stochnyy kolodets.

#257 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

after reading about all this one wonders why anyone would even want this job.

#258 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

#259 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

If this report says anything that the newspaper accounts above mentioned do not say,perhaps one of our Russian-speaking board members can let us know?

#260 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

confessions:

http://www.nytimes.c...bolshoi.html?hp

#261 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've never seen Ivan the Terrible, watching the clip posted in the thread, it looks like a lot of histrionic choreography. But maybe the full story works better? Has anyone seen Pavel Dmitrichenko in any other works? Thoughts on his abilities? I am concerned that his romantic relationship with Anzhelina (Angelina?) Vorontzhova will ruin her career.

Maybe all the Grigorovich supporters should move over to his Grigorovich Ballet Company. The state could boost their funding and they could perform Grigorovich works to their hearts' delight and leave the Bolshoi alone to forge its own path. Then again, there was this review last year:

http://arts.heraldtr...than-legendary/

Editing to add a video - just found a video of him in what appears to be "Golden Age" from the Bolshoi reopening gala:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDbMBif7pg

#262 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

Here is the exact Joy Womack mention/quote (typing as I look at p. 37 of the hard copy):

Dancers have been known to place pieces of glass in a rival's slippers just before the curtain rises. Joy Womack, an American dancer in the Bolshoi's corps de ballet, says she was once the victim of such sabotage, which left both of her feet covered in blood. "The pressure made her do it," she says of the dancer she believes placed glass in her shoes.

And how would they do this? Dancers typically put their 'slippers' (pointe shoes?) on in their dressing room.

And most dancers make sure everything is just so with their shoes.

This has a distinct Black Swan sound.

Because nothing outrageous, unexpected, or hard to explain ever happens at the Bolshoi...Oh--wait a minute...

#263 Herman Stevens

Herman Stevens

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

confessions:

http://www.nytimes.c...bolshoi.html?hp

[font=georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif][size=4]"He could now face jail and possibly the end of his dance career."[/size][/font]

[font=georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif][size=4]Possibly? Who would hire a man like that? [/size][/font]

#264 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

He played [size=4][font=arial, sans-serif]Abderakhman in the recent broadcast of "Raymonda":[/font][/size]

#265 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

I've never seen Ivan the Terrible, watching the clip posted in the thread, it looks like a lot of histrionic choreography. But maybe the full story works better? Has anyone seen Pavel Dmitrichenko in any other works? Thoughts on his abilities? I am concerned that his romantic relationship with Anzhelina (Angelina?) Vorontzhova will ruin her career.

Many Russians consider Ivan the Terrible to be Grigorovich's finest work, it is in the repertoire of the Paris Opera Ballet too.

The only leading role I have seen Dmitrichenko dance is Spartacus, although he is cast in the heroic roles, he might make an outstanding danseur noble given the opportunity, he has particularly good feet.

#266 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Another article:
http://omg.yahoo.com...-071800673.html

I wonder who is Dmitrichenko's girlfriend who, as per the above article, is also a Bolshoi Soloist? The article states that the girlfriend has also been at odds with Filin.

Edited to add:
Just saw Jayne's note, above. It's the beautiful youngster, Anzhelina Vorontsova, who we saw in DC last May dancing solo roles in Act III of Coppelia. Of course, she could have been totally unaware of her boyfriend's actions.
http://www.bolshoi.r...ns/ballet/1277/

#267 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

The only leading role I have seen Dmitrichenko dance is Spartacus, although he is cast in the heroic roles, he might make an outstanding danseur noble given the opportunity, he has particularly good feet.

I don't think he will be given the opportunity now. Arranging a brutal attack on your AD doesn't usually get a person promoted.
If it does, well then. Things are even more messed up at the Bolshoi than I thought.

#268 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

I fear for Vorontsova's career, too, even if due to 'guilt by association.'

#269 ascballerina

ascballerina

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

I've never seen Ivan the Terrible, watching the clip posted in the thread, it looks like a lot of histrionic choreography.

I can't see that video, it says it's private.

#270 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]However, Bolshoi principal dancer Nikolay Tsiskaridze, who was one of the first to be questioned by the police after the attack, said he does not believe Dmitrichenko had anything to do with the assault.[/font]

[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]"I think that this is related to the criticism that they didn't, and won't, find anyone. Now they are making it look like they did," Tsiskaridze told Russian newspaper Gazeta.ru.[/font]

Oh jeez Nicky, I really wish he would just stop talking to the press at this point it seems like he's courting the press more than they are hounding him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):