#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,150 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Diana Vishneva posted this sad news to her Facebook page:

Terrible, shocking news from Moscow: someone poured acid in face of Bolshoi ballet director Sergey Filin.
Sergey is in the hospital now.
I pray for his soon recovery...

#2 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Diana Vishneva posted this sad news to her Facebook page:

Terrible, shocking news from Moscow: someone poured acid in face of Bolshoi ballet director Sergey Filin.
Sergey is in the hospital now.
I pray for his soon recovery...

A truly bizarre, and awful incident. I suppose no one knows at this point if this was some kind of personal dispute, or vaguely political protest, or?

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,150 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I don't see anything specific so far in the English language press. Dancers are starting to weigh in. David Hallberg just tweeted: "My thoughts are with Sergey Filin after this incomprehensible incident."

#4 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

According to the Google translate of this article (http://lifenews.ru/news/109568), the police are unaware of who the attacker is (or unwilling to say). Filin's mother says he's been threatened via phone, and his tires have been punctured, and this happened near his house, suggesting a correlation.

How incredibly awful for him.

#5 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

OMG this is horrible! I will pray for him and his speedy recovery, and that
the perpetrator(s) are brought to justice for it!

#6 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Russian link:
http://www.sobesedni...oblili-kislotoi

Machine translation:

Sergei Filin, the head of the State Academic Bolshoi Ballet Theatre of Russia, was taken to hospital with chemical burns.

People's Artist of Russia Sergei Filin was attacked unknown attacker on the night of 17 to 18 January. At Trinity Street in Moscow, he was doused with sulfuric acid.

The assailant escaped. According to media reports, the ballet dancer was taken to hospital with chemical burns of the face.

Sergei Filin, the Bolshoi dancers since 1988, and in 2001 he was awarded the title of "People's Artist of Russia." In 2008 - 2011 GG head of the Moscow Ballet Musical Theater. Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko, from March 2011 again worked at the Bolshoi Theatre as artistic director of the ballet company.

#7 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Yes this Izvestia clip has the details of the background: http://izvestia.ru/news/543191

Recently he had received numerous threats to his cell phone which was only stopped when they finally called the cell phone provider. Someone also created a false Facebook page in his name and attempted to post information about him that would have compromised his position at the Bolshoi -- ie making it look as if he had gripes with the administration above him (which he did not have). More than once his tires had been slashed. He was offered an arm guard in the wake of all of this harassment but didn't accept...

Tonight his family, his wife, press rep from the Bolshoi Katerina Novikova, and others from the Theatre were with him at the hospital No. 36 where he was immediately taken.Doctors say his rehabilitation will require at least 6 months.

There are rumors the attack was done by someone inside the Bolshoi. That they tried to achieve a change in the administration via one of Filin's superiors and when that didnt' work, decided a personal attack would...would what? Aside from ruin his life. May they be caught... I have no words. No words.

[Admin note: The rumor that it was an attempt to change the admin of the Bolshoi is noted at the end of the article.]

#8 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

It's a cliche phrase but I am genuinely shocked and appalled, what an insane way to attack someone. I hope that the deranged person that committed this atrocity is caught and brought to justice. I also hope for a speedy recovery, and my thoughts go to his family and loved ones in this terrible time.

#9 Renata Rodrigues

Renata Rodrigues

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

This is very sad, God help Sergei Filin!

#10 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Some video here:

http://www.vesti.ru/...html?vid=479607

#11 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Major issue for surgeons is to save his eyes

Horrifying.

Indeed. This is making me queasy.

#12 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

This is beyond ghastly. What is it that TsiskarIdzebsays in the clip?

#13 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

An English article of this dreadful incident.

http://www.theartsde...ight-threatened

God help Filin!

#14 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Third degree burns to the face, unless I'm mistaken, would mean permanent disfigurement. It's a rather personal attack, and a cowardly one.

The video repeats much of the info in the article -- at the end when Tsiskaridze speaks he just says that he saw Filin at the performance last night, he was sitting inthe back in a large group of dancers, and the perf ended "quite late, around 11:30" and then it cuts off.

#15 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Thank you for the translation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):