This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sergei Filin Attacked

ITA with Jayne. It must be around 25 years since Mukhamedov seriously assaulted a female member of the audience inside the theatre, but how many people remember that today?

I had never heard about this in the first pace. Was it as generally publicized? Remnick wrote a full article about the attack on Filin in "The New Yorker," it was widely publicized in the Western mainstream press, reporting still goes on four months later, the Internet is in full bloom, with discussion boards, search tools, and translators, and a major English-language critic, Ismene Brown, has been following the story diligently providing translation of articles in the Rusian press and keeping readers alert to new ones via Twitter, just to give some examples of the current landscape.

Pre internet so not widely known at the time nor was it reported in the press - the theatre made a good job of suppressing the story. Eventually the UK Bolshoi fans got to hear about it but a long time after the event. There is mention of it in Mukhamedov’s biography but it is glossed over.

The latest from Ismene Brown's coverage of the story

http://www.ismeneb.c...ts_lawyers.html

The important thing here is to get an independent expert to do the examining - not a Russian. The pictures of the original injuries look quite bad but a couple of weeks later when Filin emerges, his skin is remarkably clear.

I'm told by someone who saw them that some (not all) of those infamous pictures of Yanin were photo shopped and it is becoming increasingly likely that the same has happened here. Photographic images are no longer to be trusted.

There's little basis from this article to conclude that it is "increasingly likely" that photos of Filin are photoshopped: in fact, there's no reference in the article to the defense claiming that photos released of Filin were altered.

The defense has sent the official written given them evidence to their experts, who have by no means proven to be objective, because their identities are being hidden, and they're basing a defense on these experts' conclusion. Of course, this is on the basis of paperwork, not a physical examination of any kind.

The points in the linked articles are:

1. The defense has conflicting claims: Filin was never as injured as claimed or he was injured, but the seriousness of his injuries was caused by an infection he caught in the German hospital, so its really not their fault. I notice here are no claims from he defense that the defendents, including Dmitrichenko, had been set up by the police with false confessions beaten out of them, just that they didn't cause much damage.

2. The defense insists on an examination; they've been told to come to Germany if they want more experts to examine Filin.

Those photos of Filin's face accompanied an article that gave a detailed description of how his burns were treated to explain why his skin looked as good as it did when he was released from the hospital in Moscow. But for people who are so determined to believe Filin is faking his injuries I don't think any amount of evidence would ever be enough. If he had appeared right in front of their faces with his burns they would probably still claim the burns weren't real but special effects makeup. As for any further damage his condition suffered from an infection he contracted in the hospital not being his alleged attackers' fault - he wouldn't have been in the hospital in the first place if he hadn't been attacked.

The defense is obviously going to say anything and do anything to try and bolster their arguments. In my opinion, these preposterous assertions that Filin and his team of doctors are faking it only make the defendants seem even more disgusting.

The important thing here is to get an independent expert to do the examining - not a Russian. The pictures of the original injuries look quite bad but a couple of weeks later when Filin emerges, his skin is remarkably clear.

I'm told by someone who saw them that some (not all) of those infamous pictures of Yanin were photo shopped and it is becoming increasingly likely that the same has happened here. Photographic images are no longer to be trusted.

Burns take on different "looks." From what I understand Filin was doused in the eyes, not his face. It makes sense actually that his skin looks better than his eyes, which from all accounts are as of now unable to see.

In other news it's disturbing how happy people seem to be that this happened: two wrongs don't make a right. Whatever Filin may or may not have done as AD doesn't justify physical violence.

As for any further damage his condition suffered from an infection he contracted in the hospital not being his alleged attackers' fault - he wouldn't have been in the hospital in the first place if he hadn't been attacked.
It should also be considered that people with serious burn injuries are much more susceptible to infections than healthy people.
As for any further damage his condition suffered from an infection he contracted in the hospital not being his alleged attackers' fault - he wouldn't have been in the hospital in the first place if he hadn't been attacked.
It should also be considered that people with serious burn injuries are much more susceptible to infections than healthy people.

Yes, and infection is the biggest cause of death among severe burn victims. Filin was fully clothed during the attack and wasn't burned over a large surface area, but faces are very susceptible and hospitals are breeding grounds for infection. (Not that he had a choice.)

Burns take on different "looks." From what I understand Filin was doused in the eyes, not his face. It makes sense actually that his skin looks better than his eyes, which from all accounts are as of now unable to see.

In other news it's disturbing how happy people seem to be that this happened: two wrongs don't make a right. Whatever Filin may or may not have done as AD doesn't justify physical violence.

Since the initial attack on Filin there have been two high profile attacks on London women, both apprently random that were given a great deal of coverage in the press:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-22350772

http://www.huffingto..._n_3263164.html

Neither emerged with a clear face after two weeks. But Filin did

http://www.bing.com/...selectedIndex=7

Is anyone happy? I doubt it, but a lot of people are puzzled.

The defense is obviously going to say anything and do anything to try and bolster their arguments. In my opinion, these preposterous assertions that Filin and his team of doctors are faking it only make the defendants seem even more disgusting.

It's the defense's job to do what they can to defend their client, and that includes exploiting the current climate in Russia, where beating someone, including to death, is not considered sonething out of the ordinary and where the general public does not believe that anything that happens in the court system or through the police is not a corrupt set-up.

Since the initial attack on Filin there have been two high profile attacks on London women, both apprently random that were given a great deal of coverage in the press:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-22350772

http://www.huffingto..._n_3263164.html

Neither emerged with a clear face after two weeks. But Filin did

http://www.bing.com/...selectedIndex=7

Is anyone happy? I doubt it, but a lot of people are puzzled.

These incidents aren't pertinent to Filin's case. Generalizing a situation, particularly a medical one, from a very limited number of superficially related situations isn't meaningful, however ubiquitous.

I notice the idea of 'Innocent until proved guilty' doesn't carry much weight here.

I'm not saying the accused aren't innocent. I'm saying that the implication that Filin must be faking the injuries is taking "blame the victim" to a new level.

one thing I noticed in the pictures is the massive swelling in Mr Filin's face. Normally he has extremely low body fat, high cheekbones and a chiseled profile. Now he looks extremely swollen. From the articles earlier in this thread, it was stated that the acid mostly went to the scalp and eyes.

How horrible that Mr Filin is getting the best expert treatment in all of Europe - only to have that excellent treatment result used against him, as if his injuries are all a hoax!

sergei_filin1.jpg

179436383.jpg

one thing I noticed in the pictures is the massive swelling in Mr Filin's face. Normally he has extremely low body fat, high cheekbones and a chiseled profile. Now he looks extremely swollen. From the articles earlier in this thread, it was stated that the acid mostly went to the scalp and eyes.

How horrible that Mr Filin is getting the best expert treatment in all of Europe - only to have that excellent treatment result used against him, as if his injuries are all a hoax!

sergei_filin1.jpg

179436383.jpg

Agreed... you can see his face is very swollen compared to how he looked before. His skin may be clear, but he looks different.

I personally don't understand the whole hoax theory. I don't see what he has to gain from this at all. I do see, however, what he has to lose - his eyesight, his job and ability work in what he is passionate about. He'd give that up to stage some elaborate hoax why exactly?

Talk about adding insult to injury. Just my opinion.

Jayne - thank you for posting the 2 photos together. Really puts his condition into perspective. I've not been following this situation daily and haven't read every comment here on it (just too much info and drama). But, sure hope he can recover his eyesight and get back to his work; and the idiot(s) who are responsible are caught.

In U.S. law, discovery is the pre-trial phase in a lawsuit in which each party, through the law of civil procedure, can obtain evidence from the opposing party by means of discovery devices including requests for answers to interrogatories, requests for production of documents, requests for admissions and depositions. Discovery can be obtained from non-parties using subpoenas. When discovery requests are objected to, the requesting party may seek the assistance of the court by filing a motion to compel discovery.

(from Wikipedia)

um.............guess they don't have discovery in Russian courts???? innocent.gif

um.............guess they don't have discovery in Russian courts???? innocent.gif

I guess not. And how would these notebooks be relevant to the case anyway? I don't care what Dmitrichenko thinks he can prove, nothing justifies the attack on Sergei Filin.

They must have at least some discovery: Dmitrichenko's lawyers stated that they are entitled to have Russian doctors confirm the extent of Filin's injuries, and that, at least, must count towards discover.

I guess not. And how would these notebooks be relevant to the case anyway? I don't care what Dmitrichenko thinks he can prove, nothing justifies the attack on Sergei Filin.

That might not be the legal principle here. Certainly mitigating circumstances are taken into consideration in the US confederation of systems (in addition to the Federal one), and prosecutors have lost trials by going for more serious charges for which juries had reasonable doubt. This is one of the reasons for choosing a charge of manslaughter vs. murder, or second-degree vs. first-degree murder in states where there is a death penalty.

Zarutsky, the alleged attacker, had already killed someone in a contracted beating, and he didn't do the time that he and Dmitrichenko would face if convicted here. (I don't remember what the charges against Lipatov were.) There may have been a case-specific reason for this, or it may have been the general principal that contract beatings are not that serious, even when they result in death. Certainly that was the underlying argument Dmitrichenko was making when he told a judge he only wanted Filin beaten, and that since he never chose the acid attack, he shouldn't be facing severe charges, and he has nothing for which to apologize.

Intent may also be a legal principle in Russia.

As of yesterday, the Bolshoi Theater press office is publishing a daily English-language newsletter in PDF format. You can sign up by sending a request to newsletters@bolshoi.ru.

Today's newsletter includes a quote from Sergei Filin, who says that he has no vision in his right eye and about 10% vision in his left eye. The information comes from a statement he made to the ITAR-TASS agency. http://www.itar-tass.com/c9/772823.html