This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sergei Filin Attacked

Some video here as well as a machine translation:

http://lifenews.ru/news/111458

Alexander Grigoriev, Life News Online

14:52, Saturday March 6, 2013

Soloist of the Bolshoi Theatre, Paul Dmitrichenko pleaded guilty, but said he did not want to pour acid opponent.

Detained for organizing attacks on the Bolshoi ballet master Sergei Filin, 28, dancer Paul Dmitrichenko though admitted that the customer is a crime, says the acid attack on the artistic director of the theater was not his idea.

- Yes, I organized the attack, but not to the extent that it occurred - told police Dmitrichenko.

A source Life News, close to the investigation confirmed Paul Dmitrichenko version of the reasons for the attack. With Sergei Filin had been due to civil conflict Dmitrichenko wife Angelina Ballerina Vorontsova. Owl, according to the dancer, "moved his" Vorontsov, not giving her prominent parties in the Bolshoi Theater.

Indirectly, this version is announced on the eve of a close friend of Sergei Filin - employee "Fondservisbank" Gregory Belkin.

- Some solutions Sergei colleagues interpreted incorrectly - said Belkin Life News. - If Sergei was in the wake of all those who wanted to see their friends, relatives, friends, wives, girlfriends in different batches, probably, the Bolshoi would cease to exist. Conflict with Dmitrichenko, most likely from the same region.

In the Research Affairs in Moscow motive attempt formulate extremely dry - "personal hostile relations connected with official duties."

Meanwhile, Life News has learned some details of the interrogation Dmitrichenko.

- Investigators worked with dancers for hours. He behaved somewhat unusual. Still intellectuals: all these manners, affectations. Rolling his eyes, artistically applied a hand to his forehead, remembering God, saying that did not want this to happen - a source told Life News.

According to our interlocutor, the version of the Bolshoi soloist is: yes, this is it organized the attack, but did not want to Owl poured acid.

- He said he asked scare owl. Maybe much to beat, but the consequences of severe he thought - says a source Life News.

Hired Dmitrichenko previous convictions native Ryazan region Yuri Zarutsky told investigators that "gun" crime - sulfuric acid - to make himself a prescription, read online.

Although the open sale of acid is not found in any auto shop you can buy electrolyte for car batteries. From it's the fluid that had been prepared, which left severe burns on his face and eye cornea Sergei Filin.

- Artists in a shop "Parts" of the Moscow region was acquired acid concentrations to increase an attacker produced by evaporation of the water, - the press-service of the State Ministry of Interior for Moscow ve.

The detention of the three defendants attempted artistic director of the Bolshoi Ballet, according to the investigators themselves, something resembling a TV detective.

As reported by Life News, detectives went to the performers through billing - the analysis of cellular connections in the place and at a time when there was an attempt on the owl.

Originally from arrests wanted to wait, but, according to sources, Life News, detectives had directed to take suspects, come what may. As a result, until the evening of the crime disclosure loud literally hanging by a thread.

Although investigators and arrested one of the suspects - 31-year old Andrey Lipatov, driving his accomplice to the crime scene, the direct executor - 35-year-old Yuri Zarutsky - disappeared in the Tver region. And against Dmitrichenko investigators had almost nothing, at least as evidence that the court found to be sufficient to arrest him.

Only in the late afternoon Lipatov pressure available evidence against him, as they say detectives, "floated". And after that was arrested Yuri Zarutsky and then Paul Dmitrichenko.

The latter is not in hiding, he was close all day with the investigators, and with it came a search warrant at an apartment on the Trinity, 9, but the reasons for his formal detention appeared only in the evening.

Later, all three defendants in the case wrote a confession.

I just saw the latest 3-minute TV spot on France 24 int'l network. All three of the accused men were trotted out in the police station; each posed facing front and profile, and each made a verbal confession before the cameras. Dmitrichenko, in particular, looked haggard and hunching (as if beaten?).

This latest France 24 report also introduces Anzhelina Vorontzova's 'role' in all of this. (Footage of the ballerina rehearsing with Tsiskaridze was shown.) Vorontzova -- who is called 'the wife of Dmitrichenko' and not just a girlfriend -- is described as 'being at the heart of Dmitrichenko wanting to orchestrate the attack.' The reporter explained that not only was she denied the title role of Swan Lake but that Filin was very upset that she continued to be coached by Tsiskaridze.

This is beginning to sound a bit like Jeff Gillooly/Tonya Harding, ca-1994 in figure skating!

Will upload the report if I find it on YouTube or on the France 24 site.

Anyone else find this strange? In England (and US?) arrested suspects are read their rights and told they can stay silent. I have never heard of someone confessing before speaking to a lawyer. No mention of bail either. Confession made under duress?

Very strange, Mashinka...but not for Russia. Dmitrichenko, in particular, looked haggard and beaten as he was asked to pose face-front, then profile, in front of cameras at the police station, before being asked to recite his confession, which he did like an automaton in what I've seen on Russia Today and France24 so far. No lawyer anywhere around.

Not that the crime isn't horrendous - it is! We want to see the perpatrators brought to justice. Still, the 'due process' system in Russia stinks.

I will just say that if the police had investigated the cyber attack on Yanin properly in all likelihood none of this would have happened, factions are inevitable when an injustice was not just ignored but possibly condoned.

There's been no connection yet between Dmitrienko or the thugs he hired and the cyberattacks. So far the police haven't mentioned the cyberattacks at all, and it isn't clear whether they tried to investigate or are still investigating. It took years and an international effort to bring down a Russian-based worldwide financial scam just recently, and cyberattacks on individuals are common enough that, in general, resources aren't assigned to them unless it's considered a matter of national security. Oligarchs can pay for their own investigations.

If the cyberattacks were initiated by Dmitrienko, and masterminded only by him, then Yanin was lucky he was dumped at the first sign of controversy, or an attempt at blinding him might have been the next step.

I find it odd that so many writing here immediately assume that all guilt is down to Tsiskaridze, has anyone even considered that his criticism of the Bolshoi management might actually be justified?

I don't know who assumed that Tsiskaridze was directly guilty -- I had someone else in mind -- although a proper investigation of the cyberattacks might prove otherwise, but that his vocal opposition and at least one prior attempt to depose Bolshoi management made him someone the police should investigate and eliminate from the list of suspects, if only to take the attention off of him, would be standard MO. I find it curious that he tried to argue that the attack had nothing to do with theater politics but had to do with a love affair or business dealings, when it was done on behalf of one his star pupils and had everything to do with theater politics, and while I wonder now how much he knew, that doesn't make him guilty of the actual plot.

Taranda's assertion that this whole thing hurt Tsiskaridze more than Filin has made me lose all respect for a man I consider one of the greatest dancers I've ever see on film.

Whether Tsiskaridze's criticism of the Bolshoi management has any merit has zero to do with the criminal physical and cyberattacks on Filin, unless one believes that these attacks are justified by aesthetic arguments, in this case a defense of the works of Grigorovich. Whether his criticism and internal plotting created an atmosphere which inspired at least the physical attacks is another story. The good news, if there's anything good to be found in this, is that the person behind the physical attacks is someone like-minded aesthetically with a personal grudge due to his wife/partner and a follower of sorts, which means a much smaller group of people needs to be discouraged than, for example, all of those important men with wives/girlfriends/daughters in the company.

I hope Dmitrichenko gets jail time for this.

This is beginning to sound a bit like Jeff Gillooly/Tonya Harding, ca-1994 in figure skating!
I had the same thoughts!
The Izvestia daily on Wednesday quoted ballet teacher Marina Kondratyeva as saying that Dmitrichenko had a brilliant career and would not have needed to seek revenge on Filin.

Kondratyeva admitted that his girlfriend Vorontsova had not been given leading parts lately but for a good reason: "How could Filin 'elbow her out'? Tsiskaridze is mentoring and coaching her — but she was just plain fat."

This is from an AP article that is circulating
In December, Dmitrichenko had a conflict with Filin over the artistic director's refusal to give a lead role to Dmitrichenko's girlfriend, another Bolshoi dancer, Angelina Vorontsova, members of the troupe told Izvestia on condition of anonymity. Filin allegedly told Vorontsova to look at herself in the mirror to see she was fat.

From The Moscow Times

So the motive for the attack is revenge for calling his girlfriend fat??? speechless-smiley-003.gif

However, Bolshoi principal dancer Nikolay Tsiskaridze, who was one of the first to be questioned by the police after the attack, said he does not believe Dmitrichenko had anything to do with the assault.

"I think that this is related to the criticism that they didn't, and won't, find anyone. Now they are making it look like they did," Tsiskaridze told Russian newspaper Gazeta.ru.

Oh jeez Nicky, I really wish he would just stop talking to the press at this point it seems like he's courting the press more than they are hounding him.

He's an attention hound, which is one of the reasons to investigate and get him out of the picture. Filin himself said that he didn't think that Tsiskaridze was behind the attacks. However, Filin is on record as saying that Dmitrichenko and his hired thugs aren't the only ones involved and that the investigation needs to be continued to find the rest.

Here is the exact Joy Womack mention/quote (typing as I look at p. 37 of the hard copy):

Dancers have been known to place pieces of glass in a rival's slippers just before the curtain rises. Joy Womack, an American dancer in the Bolshoi's corps de ballet, says she was once the victim of such sabotage, which left both of her feet covered in blood. "The pressure made her do it," she says of the dancer she believes placed glass in her shoes.

And how would they do this? Dancers typically put their 'slippers' (pointe shoes?) on in their dressing room.

And most dancers make sure everything is just so with their shoes.

This has a distinct Black Swan sound.

Maybe the perpetrator was inspired by Black Swan?

Dancers in the corps usually share a 1 or 2 big group dressing rooms.

Most people prep a bunch of shoes at once and then use them as needed. She probably didn't look inside the box right before she put them on. I'm sure she looks inside now.

Films and photos show that dancers line up a bunch of prepared shoes in their space by their section of the mirrors for different acts and/or balets. Maybe now Womack has to keep hers in a locked box while they're out of her sight, which is most of the time she's in the theater.

I will say that given Dmitrichenko's and Vorontzova's closeness to Tsiskaridze (reflected in the quote mentioned above in which he defends Dmitrichenko), one better understands Iksanov's claim that Tsiskaridze's attacks on the management helped create the atmosphere in which the attack happened (since presumably he had some idea that Dmitrichenko was a main suspect)

What does this mean?

What is unclear?

I will just say that if the police had investigated the cyber attack on Yanin properly in all likelihood none of this would have happened, factions are inevitable when an injustice was not just ignored but possibly condoned.

I find it odd that so many writing here immediately assume that all guilt is down to Tsiskaridze, has anyone even considered that his criticism of the Bolshoi management might actually be justified?

Helene has mostly addressed this, but since I thought perhaps it was an allusion to what I wrote above about Iksanov and Tsiskaridze, let me clarify. I don't "assume" any guilt down to Tsiskaridze at all. Some of his criticisms of the management may be justified. (I doubt all, given the excellent state of the company's dancing in recent years; management is clearly doing something right). I simply was making the point about Iksanov's statements about Tsiskaridze. I find them more understandable now. Why? If the criminal(s) had some kind relationship with Tsiskaridze or his "faction" at the Bolshoi, then it's quite plausible that his remarks and attitude-however unintentionally--influenced them and if, as I think likely from Filin's comments that he "knew" who was responsible for the attack, Iksanov "knew," too, then that knowledge might have fueled his remarks about Tsiskaridze having contributed to the context in which the attacks occurred (because of Tsiskaridze's support for Vorontzova etc. etc.). That, puppytreats, is the answer to your question as well.

I put "knew" in scare quotes, because I don't assume the investigation is wrapped up or that the truth is fully known as yet.

I would add my agreement with the position that questions of guilt in relation to the physical attack on Filin have nothing to do with whether or not ANYONE'S criticisms of management are justified. Even if all complaints against management were justified, then that would not in any way justify the criminal attack on Filin. I don't think that last is a controversial point but perhaps just as well to state very explicitly.

Helene has mostly addressed this, but since I thought perhaps this was probably an allusion to what I wrote above about Iksanov and Tsiskaridze, let me clarify. I don't "assume" any guilt down to Tsiskaridze at all. Some of his criticisms of the management may be justified. (I doubt all, given the excellent state of the company's dancing in recent years; management is clearly doing something right). I simply was making the point about Iksanov's statements about Tsiskaridze. I find them more understandable now. Why? If the criminal(s) had a some kind relationship with Tsiskaridze or his "faction" at the Bolshoi, then it's quite plausible that his remarks and attitude-however unintentionally--influenced them and if, as I think likely from Filin's comments that he "knew" who was responsible for the attack, Iksanov knew, too, at least who the prime suspect was, then that knowledge might have fueled his remarks about Tsiskaridze having contributed to the context in which the attacks occurred (because of Tsiskaridze's support for Vorontzova etc. etc.). That, puppytreats, is the answer to your question as well.

It's nothing to do with assuming "guilt" and certainly not legal guilt. I would add my agreement with the position that questions of guilt in relation to the attack on Filin have nothing to do with whether or not ANYONE'S criticisms of management are justified. Even if all complaints against management were justified, then that would not in any way justify the criminal attack on Filin.

Am I correct in reading that you suggest no discussion by anyone except management itself, since you indicate that expression of dissatisfaction by dancers and teachers, even if correct, and even if between a teacher and student behind closed doors, creates an "atmosphere" in which people feel they can or should physically attack someone?

Helene has mostly addressed this, but since I thought perhaps this was probably an allusion to what I wrote above about Iksanov and Tsiskaridze, let me clarify. I don't "assume" any guilt down to Tsiskaridze at all. Some of his criticisms of the management may be justified. (I doubt all, given the excellent state of the company's dancing in recent years; management is clearly doing something right). I simply was making the point about Iksanov's statements about Tsiskaridze. I find them more understandable now. Why? If the criminal(s) had a some kind relationship with Tsiskaridze or his "faction" at the Bolshoi, then it's quite plausible that his remarks and attitude-however unintentionally--influenced them and if, as I think likely from Filin's comments that he "knew" who was responsible for the attack, Iksanov knew, too, at least who the prime suspect was, then that knowledge might have fueled his remarks about Tsiskaridze having contributed to the context in which the attacks occurred (because of Tsiskaridze's support for Vorontzova etc. etc.). That, puppytreats, is the answer to your question as well.

It's nothing to do with assuming "guilt" and certainly not legal guilt. I would add my agreement with the position that questions of guilt in relation to the attack on Filin have nothing to do with whether or not ANYONE'S criticisms of management are justified. Even if all complaints against management were justified, then that would not in any way justify the criminal attack on Filin.

Am I correct in reading that you suggest no discussion by anyone except management itself, since you indicate that expression of dissatisfaction by dancers and teachers, even if correct, and even if between a teacher and student behind closed doors, creates an "atmosphere" in which people feel they can or should physically attack someone?

No you are not. I said nothing of the kind.

First and foremost: I was making a remark about Iksanov and how I better understood why he has spoken the way he has.

Secondly I was clarifying that a person's guilt or innocence in a case of grievous bodily injury has nothing to do with whether or not they had legitimate criticisms of the person they attacked. At least in most legal systems with which I am familiar. I realize there are categories such as "crime of passion" and "mitigating circumstances." I hardly think they apply here but I am not a Russian jurist.

As for criticizing management in one's workplace, I've been known to do it myself.

As for whether or not factions at the Bolshoi in general and Tsiskaridze in particular should do some soul-searching, I leave that to them.

This is how Dmitrichenko looked in custody in today's edition of the Moscow Times: http://www.themoscow...ack/476624.html.

Can we not wildly speculate that he looks beaten? He doesn't look happy, but I don't think people usually do when they have been arrested, charged with a serious crime and spent many hours being interrogated. In our system or any other criminal system. I don't think it is what you would call a pleasant experience. [nb: Cygnet, I realize you just posted the image with no weighted commentary]

Anyone else find this strange? In England (and US?) arrested suspects are read their rights and told they can stay silent. I have never heard of someone confessing before speaking to a lawyer. No mention of bail either. Confession made under duress?

The BBC has translated the video confessions without additional voiceover commentary. I notice that the alleged attacker, who has prior "experience" with the criminal justice system, does decline to answer questions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-21681273

Iksanov said the acid attack occurred because Tsiskaridze went unpunished. Why should he have been punished? With respect to the issue of the deceptive petition, I understand his point about misconduct and punishment, but I am unsure that this creates an environment condusive to what happened to Filin, as Iksanov claims. In any event, why would his support for his student be problematic, or contribute to this environment? One can imagine that he objected to Filin's wanting to take his student away, and this caused tensions, but again, does this merit punishment? Does Iksanov think he merits punishment for criticism about waste and building problems with the reconstruction?

Puppytreats: I have not said that there is anything wrong with Tsiskaridze supporting his student. I have not said he should be punished for anything he said. I made a different point--and tried (and evidently failed) to make it with some precision. I won't repeat because there's no evidence I would be successful this time around either. I will only add that saying one "understands" xyz does not entail all the consequences your remarks suggest that you are concerned about.

Where did Iksanov say the acid attack occurred because Tsiskaridze went unpunished? I haven't seen any comments where Iskanov specifically addressed Tsiskaridze's student at all. Iksanov said that Tsiskaridze helped to foster an atmosphere in the theater in which the attack could take place in an interview in February.

"I don't blame that particular crime on him, but I'm accusing Nikolai of escalating the situation at the theater, of putting psychological pressure on the theater's staff and management, on Filin, on myself and teachers," he said.

http://bigstory.ap.o...-chief-detained

Perhaps Tsiskaridze should have been fired from the theater and paid out his contract like Volchkova, but they have Grigorivich there, and his is the name invoked in the description of all that was great and good at the Bolshoi.

What is disturbing is that according to the "New York Times" the police are calling this a closed case, when Filin has said that these are not the only ones likely to be involved and people who've know Dmitrichenko have said that it's uncharacteristic of him to plot. There's still not talk of the cyberattacks on Yanin or Filin.

This whole situation is beyond my comprehension... all I can feel is sadness for Filin who is still battling to save his eyesight and sadness for the Bolshoi whose image has been tarnished. Dmitrichenko has thrown away his life and career for what, and Vorontsova will have this shadow hanging on her always (if in fact she did not know anything). I really don't know what to think or say about Tsiskaridze so I will leave that to the rest of you and read in silence.

I really would like to think there are no more people involved in this situation.

Perhaps Tsiskaridze should have been fired from the theater and paid out his contract like Volchkova, but they have Grigorivich there, and his is the name invoked in the description of all that was great and good at the Bolshoi.

What is disturbing is that according to the "New York Times" the police are calling this a closed case, when Filin has said that these are not the only ones likely to be involved and people who've know Dmitrichenko have said that it's uncharacteristic of him to plot. There's still not talk of the cyberattacks on Yanin or Filin.

I could be wrong, but as I recall, Ms Volchkova sued the Bolshoi and won some sort of settlement. I read another article from yesterday's links (will try to find it) that the police wanted to wait to make the arrests, so they could continue their probe. The inference is that they wanted to see if there was a higher chain of command for this event, I assume they wanted to continue to monitor communications of the 3 suspects. But the Ministry of Justice pressed them to make arrests now.

Time will tell, sometimes crimes are not "grand conspiracies" and crimes of passion are pretty common motives for violence. Our beloved artform celebrate them! The interrogation may have focused on Miss Vorontsova, and Mr. Dmitrichenko may have taken the fall in order to protect her from being implicated / railroaded.

BTW I don't think she is fat at all, but she does look like her musculature is larger when she is pictured next to the stringbeans that are currently in fashion. If you look at old pictures from the 1960's Bolshoi, she would have fit right in (and considering this was Grigorovich's best time at the Bolshoi, I can understand why she would shine in his ballets).

"Alas, that love, so gentle in his view, Should be so tyrannous and rough in proof" Romeo & Juliet, Wm. Shakespeare

The settlement was that Volochkova is on the roster and is paid, but the court couldn't make management cast her or include her in theater life. Effectively, her contract is being bought out over whatever period the court awarded her. I don't see what would have stopped them from doing the same to Tsiskaridze, legally, at least. However, as long as Grigorovich is there, what would the point be?

When is this report from? She doesn't look fat to me, but I find the current aesthetic ridiculous, although without it, Carla Korbes wouldn't be in Seattle, and in her case, it was a silver lining for us out here. Are these clips recent? She's exquisite in them. The newspaper articles quote people saying that she had gained weight as she matured, and Gennadi Yanin is being interviewed, I'm not sure in what capacity.

Apparently she lobbied for O/O in December, and was told to "look in the mirror". This is her in December:

I observe that her upper legs are slightly thicker than the super skinny girls. I also observe her strong jumps, turns, and control - all assisted by that extra 5-10 lbs of muscle. If she'd been born 30 years earlier, she'd be a star.