This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sergei Filin Attacked

It is reported that the Russian police have detained a suspect in the attack:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/06/world/europe/russia-detains-suspect-in-bolshoi-ballet-acid-attack.html

Russia’s Interior Ministry said in a statement that it was proceeding with “a series of urgent investigative actions,” including questioning the suspect, who was detained in the Moscow suburb of Stupino, and searching his apartment.

A law enforcement official told Russian television that the man is suspected of carrying out the acid attack on a contract basis and not associated with the Bolshoi Theater. The official said investigators have not identified the person who ordered the attack.

It is reported that the Russian police have detained a suspect in the attack:

http://www.nytimes.c...cid-attack.html

Russia’s Interior Ministry said in a statement that it was proceeding with “a series of urgent investigative actions,” including questioning the suspect, who was detained in the Moscow suburb of Stupino, and searching his apartment.

A law enforcement official told Russian television that the man is suspected of carrying out the acid attack on a contract basis and not associated with the Bolshoi Theater. The official said investigators have not identified the person who ordered the attack.

The story has been updated since this morning...same link as above. Pavel Dmitrichenko, a dancer with the company, has been detained.

From the AP:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/suspect-acid-attack-bolshoi-chief-detained

The Interior Ministry said the alleged perpetrator, 35-year-old Yury Zarutsky, was arrested in the Tver region north of Moscow. Earlier in the day, police had detained and questioned the suspected accomplice, whom the spokesman identified as Andrei Lipatov. No other details were provided.

Russian news agencies reported that Lipatov had been detained in the town of Stupino, a sprawling Moscow suburb that has summer houses owned by the Bolshoi Theater and used by its dancers and management. Dmitrichenko said in a recent interview that he was managing the dachas in his spare time.

Here is the exact Joy Womack mention/quote (typing as I look at p. 37 of the hard copy):

Dancers have been known to place pieces of glass in a rival's slippers just before the curtain rises. Joy Womack, an American dancer in the Bolshoi's corps de ballet, says she was once the victim of such sabotage, which left both of her feet covered in blood. "The pressure made her do it," she says of the dancer she believes placed glass in her shoes.

And how would they do this? Dancers typically put their 'slippers' (pointe shoes?) on in their dressing room.

And most dancers make sure everything is just so with their shoes.

This has a distinct Black Swan sound.

Good grief!! I pray that Hallberg will survive this "cesspool of a Company" (Ratmansky's description....)

Actually, it's not his description. On Facebook Ratmansky made a reference to a "disgusting claque" (klaka), but I think it was mistranslated into French. You can see how there could be confusion between the words cloaque and claque. The Russian word for cesspool is vygrebnaya yama or stochnyy kolodets.

I've never seen Ivan the Terrible, watching the clip posted in the thread, it looks like a lot of histrionic choreography. But maybe the full story works better? Has anyone seen Pavel Dmitrichenko in any other works? Thoughts on his abilities? I am concerned that his romantic relationship with Anzhelina (Angelina?) Vorontzhova will ruin her career.

Maybe all the Grigorovich supporters should move over to his Grigorovich Ballet Company. The state could boost their funding and they could perform Grigorovich works to their hearts' delight and leave the Bolshoi alone to forge its own path. Then again, there was this review last year:

http://arts.heraldtr...than-legendary/

Editing to add a video - just found a video of him in what appears to be "Golden Age" from the Bolshoi reopening gala:

Here is the exact Joy Womack mention/quote (typing as I look at p. 37 of the hard copy):

Dancers have been known to place pieces of glass in a rival's slippers just before the curtain rises. Joy Womack, an American dancer in the Bolshoi's corps de ballet, says she was once the victim of such sabotage, which left both of her feet covered in blood. "The pressure made her do it," she says of the dancer she believes placed glass in her shoes.

And how would they do this? Dancers typically put their 'slippers' (pointe shoes?) on in their dressing room.

Because nothing outrageous, unexpected, or hard to explain ever happens at the Bolshoi...Oh--wait a minute...

I've never seen Ivan the Terrible, watching the clip posted in the thread, it looks like a lot of histrionic choreography. But maybe the full story works better? Has anyone seen Pavel Dmitrichenko in any other works? Thoughts on his abilities? I am concerned that his romantic relationship with Anzhelina (Angelina?) Vorontzhova will ruin her career.

Many Russians consider Ivan the Terrible to be Grigorovich's finest work, it is in the repertoire of the Paris Opera Ballet too.

The only leading role I have seen Dmitrichenko dance is Spartacus, although he is cast in the heroic roles, he might make an outstanding danseur noble given the opportunity, he has particularly good feet.

Another article:

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/dancer.admit.being.behind.bolshoi-chief-attack-071800673.html

I wonder who is Dmitrichenko's girlfriend who, as per the above article, is also a Bolshoi Soloist? The article states that the girlfriend has also been at odds with Filin.

Edited to add:

Just saw Jayne's note, above. It's the beautiful youngster, Anzhelina Vorontsova, who we saw in DC last May dancing solo roles in Act III of Coppelia. Of course, she could have been totally unaware of her boyfriend's actions.

http://www.bolshoi.r...ns/ballet/1277/

The only leading role I have seen Dmitrichenko dance is Spartacus, although he is cast in the heroic roles, he might make an outstanding danseur noble given the opportunity, he has particularly good feet.

I don't think he will be given the opportunity now. Arranging a brutal attack on your AD doesn't usually get a person promoted.

If it does, well then. Things are even more messed up at the Bolshoi than I thought.

However, Bolshoi principal dancer Nikolay Tsiskaridze, who was one of the first to be questioned by the police after the attack, said he does not believe Dmitrichenko had anything to do with the assault.

"I think that this is related to the criticism that they didn't, and won't, find anyone. Now they are making it look like they did," Tsiskaridze told Russian newspaper Gazeta.ru.

Oh jeez Nicky, I really wish he would just stop talking to the press at this point it seems like he's courting the press more than they are hounding him.

Maybe the perpetrator was inspired by Black Swan?

Dancers in the corps usually share a 1 or 2 big group dressing rooms.

Most people prep a bunch of shoes at once and then use them as needed. She probably didn't look inside the box right before she put them on. I'm sure she looks inside now.

I fear for Vorontsova's career, too, even if due to 'guilt by association.'

This is a shame. I've seen Vorontsova dance in the "Swan Lake" pdt, and she is delightful, very talented and

has potential. If she's lucky she will keep her job. Unfortunately, that seems to be unrealistic (now) given the circumstances. Furthermore, I think that if she remains she may be demoted. It's also very doubtful that she

will attain O/O (at the Bolshoi), let alone other leading roles and promote. I'd be very surprised if that happens.

My guess is that this couple will be purged from the Bolshoi Theatre.

I fear for Vorontsova's career, too, even if due to 'guilt by association.'

This is a shame. I've seen Vorontsova dance in the "Swan Lake" pdt, and she is delightful, very talented and

has potential. If she's lucky she will keep her job. Unfortunately, that seems to be unrealistic (now) given the circumstances. Furthermore, I think that if she remains she may be demoted. It's also very doubtful that she

will attain O/O (at the Bolshoi), let alone other leading roles and promote. I'd be very surprised if that happens.

My guess is that this couple will be purged from the Bolshoi Theatre.

I can't speculate about what will happen to Vorontzova since she has not even been accused of involvement, but as for guessing that Dmitrichenko will be purged from the theater...Seriously? If he's found guilty, then that's the least that will happen to him--no guessing involved. And the confession, assuming that has been accurately reported, presumably means he will be found guilty.

I will say that given Dmitrichenko's and Vorontzova's closeness to Tsiskaridze (reflected in the quote mentioned above in which he defends Dmitrichenko), one better understands Iksanov's claim that Tsiskaridze's attacks on the management helped create the atmosphere in which the attack happened (since presumably Iksanov had some idea that Dmitrichenko was a main suspect)--I say that even though I tend to think that under the circumstances of a criminal investigation Iksanov should have been more restrained.

I will say that given Dmitrichenko's and Vorontzova's closeness to Tsiskaridze (reflected in the quote mentioned above in which he defends Dmitrichenko), one better understands Iksanov's claim that Tsiskaridze's attacks on the management helped create the atmosphere in which the attack happened (since presumably he had some idea that Dmitrichenko was a main suspect)

What does this mean?

I will just say that if the police had investigated the cyber attack on Yanin properly in all likelihood none of this would have happened, factions are inevitable when an injustice was not just ignored but possibly condoned.

I find it odd that so many writing here immediately assume that all guilt is down to Tsiskaridze, has anyone even considered that his criticism of the Bolshoi management might actually be justified?