This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tuesday, January 15

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,469 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre hires Lois Wholey as development director.

Wholey will head PBT’s individual giving, corporate partnerships, major gifts, annual fund and grant support.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,469 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Dancers from the Mikhailovsky will perform in the Azerbaijan State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre's "Giselle."

Leading soloists from the Mikhaylovsky Theatre of Saint Petersburg Sabina Yapparova (Jizel) and Andrey Yakhnyuk (Albrect) have been invited to take part in Adolphe Adam`s “Giselle” which is the part of the repertoire of major ballet houses in the world and always enjoys great love and interest of the audience....

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,469 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Ballet Nouveau Colorado presents "A Journey of the Human Spirit."

“A Journey of the Human Spirit” is based largely on the events of the Holocaust, and the triumphant stories that have resulted from such travesties. Before the performance, guests are invited to explore Jewish culture with traditional klezmer music, with a live performance by Hal Aqua and the Lost Tribe.

The show will feature Viktor Ullmann’s opera “Der Kaiser von Atlantis” (The Emperor of Atlantis), which is a satirical, one act opera composed in the concentration camp of Theresienstadt in 1943. The opera will be sung in German, with accompanying English subtitles.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,469 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

More on Carlos Acosta's forthcoming novel, "Pig's Foot."

The Cuban dancer, who joined the Royal Ballet in 1998 and has been its Principal Guest Artist since 2003, has been named in a literary first eleven picked out by booksellers Waterstones alongside authors from around the globe.

Q&A

Your first book was an autobiography, and your ballet Tocororo was loosely based on your story. How difficult was it to make the transition into writing fiction?
I didn't expect anything by it. I just wanted to write something by the name of Pig's Foot, which is Pata de Puerco in Spanish. I liked that title and I began asking myself what it could be. And then I imagined that it could be a hamlet or a little village in the remote regions of Cuba, really disconnected from everybody. And maybe place the beginning in the 1800s when the Cuban and the Spanish War, The 50 Years War, was happening.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

An interview with Elizabeth Herring, who teaches ballet to girls in juvenile detention.

It would be the first of many unthinkable moments. A few years ago with Prison Performing Arts, she went behind bars to teach the men Shakespeare. "I even got to be in a play," Herring says.

And now at 86 she's trying to breakdown boundaries at the bar through ballet.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,469 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

The Joffrey visits Dallas.

The group’s return Friday and Saturday as part of the TITAS series at Winspear Opera House comes at another landmark moment: the 100th anniversary of Igor Stravinsky and Vaslav Nijinsky’s revolutionary collaboration, Le Sacre du Printemps (The Rite of Spring).

The program includes historian Millicent Hodson’s 1987 reconstruction for the Joffrey of Nijinsky’s original choreography for the Ballet Russes, which was thought to have been permanently lost until Hodson dug up archival notebooks and interviewed some of the original dancers. The piece had been seen only a handful of times after the primal choreography and Stravinsky’s experimental score, now considered one of the greatest pieces of music of the 20th century, created a scandal at the 1913 premiere in Paris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):