• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

. . . Livia Firth's outfit from last year's Oscars. . .

Apparently she also wore that dress at the 2011 Golden Globes:
http://ecofashion.36...lobe-awards.php

As so many of the stars reportedly borrow dresses from famous designers to wear just once, this is a refreshing change, and it appears she has an eco-friendly agenda as well.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I haven't yet seen Near Dark Thirty, having been less than enthralled by The Hurt Locker, which I found tedious (another day, another bomb).......

ROTFL!
Hurt Locker is maximum excitement compared to Zero Dark 30! At least they were looking for bombs in Locker. Imagine a story being moved forward by a (whining) CIA agent tediously sifting through interrogation tapes. After the first waterboarding scene at the start of the film, they all flow together (no pun intended). I honestly fail to 'get' the praise heaped on Chastain for this film but, hey, I realize that I am in the minority. I've admired Chastain in past films like The Help.

Besides Argo, my favorite films of 2012 are The Impossible (set in Thailand during and after the tsunami of 2004...focus on the ordeal of one family), Skyfall (007 at his greatest) and -- most especially, although not talked about so much in the US -- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I have yet to see Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook, among the top faves.

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

True, California, but it’s more like part of the business these days for female stars and less vanity and/or conspicuous consumption. Livia Firth doesn’t have to dress to impress on the red carpet, but for actresses it can make a real difference in terms of visibility and income. I'd applaud any renegade with the nerve to skip the whole business, but I certainly understand why others get with the program.

I liked Nicole Kidman in Alexander McQueen but her face is looking increasingly plasticized.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

For those who follow the fashions in such events, tonight is the Joan Rivers 'Fashion Police' GG review (9PM on E! in East Coast...other times, other zones). Let's see who earns Fashion Police winners and losers trophies.

Helena Bonham Carter has surely earned a 'Lifetime Award' for Uniqueness.

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I haven't yet seen Near Dark Thirty, having been less than enthralled by The Hurt Locker, which I found tedious (another day, another bomb).......

ROTFL!
Hurt Locker is maximum excitement compared to Zero Dark 30! At least they were looking for bombs in Locker. Imagine a story being moved forward by a (whining) CIA agent tediously sifting through interrogation tapes. After the first waterboarding scene at the start of the film, they all flow together (no pun intended). I honestly fail to 'get' the praise heaped on Chastain for this film but, hey, I realize that I am in the minority. I've admired Chastain in past films like The Help.

Besides Argo, my favorite films of 2012 are The Impossible (set in Thailand during and after the tsunami of 2004...focus on the ordeal of one family), Skyfall (007 at his greatest) and -- most especially, although not talked about so much in the US -- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I have yet to see Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook, among the top faves.

Thank you for the tactful correction. I conflated the titles of two Bigelow movies. Chastain runs hot and cold for me, too.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel isn't the kind of picture that gets loaded with Oscar nominations, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. And you can't beat that cast.

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Back to the fashions. Well, a lot of our favorites were mentioned by Joan and the gang...some for 'best' and some for the 'fash-hole' trophy.

Best - Taylor Swift (bravo, cubanmiamiboy!); Joan Rivers overruled the others, who had voted top prize for Chastain (2 votes) or Liu (1 vote).

Worst - Again, Joan Rivers overruled the panelists and gave the 'Fash-hole Trophy' to Jessica Chastain (!). Other panelists had voted for Halle Berry; the guy on the panel hated Liu's gown.

The group agreed that 'Best Couple' goes to Ben Afflek and Jennifer Gardner.

Dirac, Joan made a point of noting Nicole Kidman's plastic face (Joan should know, eh?). They all loved Nicole's black gown, though. Oh...and Joan explained the meaning of the title Zero Dark Thirty; it relates to Kim Kardashian:

Zero - degree of talent
Dark - preference in lovers
Thirty - her I.Q.

Mods, feel free to delete this last bit of Joan Rivers Crude (but Funny) Humor!

#22 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

"Argo" was right up there at the top for me also. Totally engrossing and the fact that it was true made it even more so. Also loved "Lincoln" and "Les Miz". Alas, "Marigolds" isn't the type of movie to garner awards. Same might be said for "Beasts of the Southern Wild", but for me, it was a total winner! As for the gowns... what was with the "Girls" girl? All those straps hanging off her multiple tattooed shoulders. Oh my! Not attractive. Jennifer Garner looked stunning and happy!

#23 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Same might be said for "Beasts of the Southern Wild", but for me, it was a total winner!

FYI "Beasts of the Southern Wild" did unexpectedly well in the Oscar nominations, mimsyb. There are several big-name directors with their noses out of joint....

#24 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Nominations are the not the same as winning. But yes, I agree about noses being put out of place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):