This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Didn't watch the thing, but browsing online I came out with my three "Best Dressed" picks...

#1: Perfection. And she knows it.

#2: Well. It certainly makes a statement, as in “$2 hooker on Mission Street”. Hair is nice though. OK, the hair adds value, so let’s make it “$3 hooker on Mission Street”. I can’t wait to hear what Tom and Lorenzo have to say about this one.

#3: I think blondes have to be careful about wearing black. A strapless black dress, or an LBD is usually OK, but something this covered up makes her head look like a giant light bulb. That gold trim looks kind of cheesy, and I am royally tired of having this particular uninteresting portion of the female anatomy put on display at every opportunity (see #2, above).

Can't wait to see your worst.

Didn't watch the thing, but browsing online I came out with my three "Best Dressed" picks...

#3: I think blondes have to be careful about wearing black. A strapless black dress, or an LBD is usually OK, but something this covered up makes her head look like a giant light bulb. That gold trim looks kind of cheesy, and I am royally tired of having this particular uninteresting portion of the female anatomy put on display at every opportunity (see #2, above).

I agree in theory about the cleavage, but it doesn't bother me here mainly because she's slender and not busty so it isn't all hanging out, thus the cut becomes more of an interesting (or not!) design element than "LOOK AT MY BOOBS!!!"

The last is not one of my favorites of the night at all, but not one of my worsts either. I don't love the gold. It is a bit 80s dynasty for me. On the other hand it has a Bernini quality to it that I do like, though in the backdrop to the Ecstasy of St. Teresa or the Cathedra Petri, not a dress ;)

I'd be interested in hearing comments on the show and the awards from anyone who did watch "the thing," not that I take the Golden Globes with undue seriousness.

Watch Jodie Foster online--Her speech defies comments. Well, doesn't defy them but they are very divided. It was something else, that is for sure.

Worst dressed...

Totally agree about #s 1 and 3. I mean really, you'd think anyone married to the unutterably gorgeous Daniel Craig would not want to look like she is wearing bathroom curtains from the Hammer House of Horror! And Chaistain looks like she kept the sheet on when she got out of bed. Both are truly awful.

As to HBC, I absolutely love her off beat sense of style, even when I hate what she's wearing. She plays by nobody's rules but her own, and I bow down before her magnificent weirdness. Btw, did you see the outfit she wore a few weeks ago to meet the queen? Somebody described it as punk Victorian hooker.

Worst dressed...

Totally agree about #s 1 and 3. I mean really, you'd think anyone married to the unutterably gorgeous Daniel Craig would not want to look like she is wearing bathroom curtains from the Hammer House of Horror! And Chaistain looks like she kept the sheet on when she got out of bed. Both are truly awful.

As to HBC, I absolutely love her off beat sense of style, even when I hate what she's wearing. She plays by nobody's rules but her own, and I bow down before her magnificent weirdness. Btw, did you see the outfit she wore a few weeks ago to meet the queen? Somebody described it as punk Victorian hooker.

I'm again in agreement (mostly) with Peggy :) I'd only say that while Jessica Chastain's dress was definitely bad, it looked nowhere near as bad in the views at the show as in this red carpet shot.

I'll say I loved Julianne Moore's dress, Naomi watts and (yes a lot of people hated it) Lucy Liu's

I'd be interested in hearing comments on the show and the awards from anyone who did watch "the thing," not that I take the Golden Globes with undue seriousness.

Watch Jodie Foster online--Her speech defies comments. Well, doesn't defy them but they are very divided. It was something else, that is for sure.

Sure was. I now understand why she's inclined to give Mel Gibson the benefit of the doubt. Or maybe she just imbibed too much champagne, which happens regularly at the Globes. She did manage to get it together towards the end, but it was still confusing - if you weren't paying close attention you might have thought it was a retirement speech. It was a bit of a headscratcher to this viewer because Foster did come out a few years ago with no great fuss (and even then the announcement was hardly news to anyone paying even casual attention - Foster never did much to hide, unless you count a bizarre and brief flirtation with Russell Crowe back in the day).

I completely agree, Giannina. I watched ZERO DARK THIRTY this weekend and fell asleep halfway, until my husband poked me in the ribs in time to see the big 'mission' scene in the last 30 minutes. ARGO, on the other hand, was a compelling, exciting film from beginning to end.

I agree about Lucy Liu's. I actually had her in my list, but then...it is mostly about HER wearing the dress what turned me off. That dress needs someone like Grace Kelly or Sarah Jessica Parker...meaning, either a Princess-like lady like the former or an uber-fashionista like the latter. The dress is wonderful, but i don't think she has enough personality to wear it. Moore's was beautiful too, but it is not a fantasy/Hollywood-glamour dress. It is best suited for a night at the opera maybe. She wore it STUNNINGLY though. Totally agree with Hough, but I tend more toward the dramatic colors or black.

Now, allow me PLEASE to substitute Longoria's by Glenn Close's and Hudson's with Naomi Watts', which i just discovered. Both wore Zac Posen

actress-glenn-close-of-the-tv-drama-damages-at-the-70th-annual-golden-globe-awards-in-beverly-hills-california-january-13-2013.jpg?w=565

ba269c807533941f_Watts.xxxlarge_1.jpg

I haven't yet seen Near Zero Dark Thirty, having been less than enthralled by The Hurt Locker, which I found tedious (another day, another bomb). If Bigelow and her screenwriter Mark Boal do for the bin Laden raid what they did for ordnance disposal then it sounds like a long two hours.

I think Lucy Liu's gown is gorgeous and she carried it off well. Chastain's frock looked better on her than it appears in that shot.

I mean really, you'd think anyone married to the unutterably gorgeous Daniel Craig would not want to look like she is wearing bathroom curtains from the Hammer House of Horror!

Judging by the undistinguished numbers in which Rebecca Miller generally appears and Livia Firth's outfit from last year's Oscars, my theory is that the women married to the most desirable male stars don't have to try as hard, the message being, "I can wear whatever costly and faintly ridiculous outfit I like, because I'm Mrs. [Daniel Day-Lewis, Colin Firth, Daniel Craig] and YOU'RE NOT! MWHA-HA-HA-HA!"

Edited by dirac
Corrected - I see I conflated two Bigelow pictures in my original post. I enjoyed "Near Dark" so perhaps that's why.

. . . Livia Firth's outfit from last year's Oscars. . .

Apparently she also wore that dress at the 2011 Golden Globes:

http://ecofashion.360fashion.net/2011/01/livia-firth-going-green-on-the-red-carpet-at-the-2011-golden-globe-awards.php

As so many of the stars reportedly borrow dresses from famous designers to wear just once, this is a refreshing change, and it appears she has an eco-friendly agenda as well.

I haven't yet seen Near Dark Thirty, having been less than enthralled by The Hurt Locker, which I found tedious (another day, another bomb).......

ROTFL!

Hurt Locker is maximum excitement compared to Zero Dark 30! At least they were looking for bombs in Locker. Imagine a story being moved forward by a (whining) CIA agent tediously sifting through interrogation tapes. After the first waterboarding scene at the start of the film, they all flow together (no pun intended). I honestly fail to 'get' the praise heaped on Chastain for this film but, hey, I realize that I am in the minority. I've admired Chastain in past films like The Help.

Besides Argo, my favorite films of 2012 are The Impossible (set in Thailand during and after the tsunami of 2004...focus on the ordeal of one family), Skyfall (007 at his greatest) and -- most especially, although not talked about so much in the US -- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I have yet to see Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook, among the top faves.

True, California, but it’s more like part of the business these days for female stars and less vanity and/or conspicuous consumption. Livia Firth doesn’t have to dress to impress on the red carpet, but for actresses it can make a real difference in terms of visibility and income. I'd applaud any renegade with the nerve to skip the whole business, but I certainly understand why others get with the program.

I liked Nicole Kidman in Alexander McQueen but her face is looking increasingly plasticized.

For those who follow the fashions in such events, tonight is the Joan Rivers 'Fashion Police' GG review (9PM on E! in East Coast...other times, other zones). Let's see who earns Fashion Police winners and losers trophies.

Helena Bonham Carter has surely earned a 'Lifetime Award' for Uniqueness.

I haven't yet seen Near Dark Thirty, having been less than enthralled by The Hurt Locker, which I found tedious (another day, another bomb).......

ROTFL!

Hurt Locker is maximum excitement compared to Zero Dark 30! At least they were looking for bombs in Locker. Imagine a story being moved forward by a (whining) CIA agent tediously sifting through interrogation tapes. After the first waterboarding scene at the start of the film, they all flow together (no pun intended). I honestly fail to 'get' the praise heaped on Chastain for this film but, hey, I realize that I am in the minority. I've admired Chastain in past films like The Help.

Besides Argo, my favorite films of 2012 are The Impossible (set in Thailand during and after the tsunami of 2004...focus on the ordeal of one family), Skyfall (007 at his greatest) and -- most especially, although not talked about so much in the US -- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I have yet to see Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook, among the top faves.

Thank you for the tactful correction. I conflated the titles of two Bigelow movies. Chastain runs hot and cold for me, too.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel isn't the kind of picture that gets loaded with Oscar nominations, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. And you can't beat that cast.

Back to the fashions. Well, a lot of our favorites were mentioned by Joan and the gang...some for 'best' and some for the 'fash-hole' trophy.

Best - Taylor Swift (bravo, cubanmiamiboy!); Joan Rivers overruled the others, who had voted top prize for Chastain (2 votes) or Liu (1 vote).

Worst - Again, Joan Rivers overruled the panelists and gave the 'Fash-hole Trophy' to Jessica Chastain (!). Other panelists had voted for Halle Berry; the guy on the panel hated Liu's gown.

The group agreed that 'Best Couple' goes to Ben Afflek and Jennifer Gardner.

Dirac, Joan made a point of noting Nicole Kidman's plastic face (Joan should know, eh?). They all loved Nicole's black gown, though. Oh...and Joan explained the meaning of the title Zero Dark Thirty; it relates to Kim Kardashian:

Zero - degree of talent

Dark - preference in lovers

Thirty - her I.Q.

Mods, feel free to delete this last bit of Joan Rivers Crude (but Funny) Humor!

"Argo" was right up there at the top for me also. Totally engrossing and the fact that it was true made it even more so. Also loved "Lincoln" and "Les Miz". Alas, "Marigolds" isn't the type of movie to garner awards. Same might be said for "Beasts of the Southern Wild", but for me, it was a total winner! As for the gowns... what was with the "Girls" girl? All those straps hanging off her multiple tattooed shoulders. Oh my! Not attractive. Jennifer Garner looked stunning and happy!

Same might be said for "Beasts of the Southern Wild", but for me, it was a total winner!

FYI "Beasts of the Southern Wild" did unexpectedly well in the Oscar nominations, mimsyb. There are several big-name directors with their noses out of joint....