34 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

This is the latest press release, describing special events surrounding "Romeo et Juliette," which the company will perform in Seattle 1-3 and 7-10 February and at City Center in NYC 15-16 February.

Pacific Northwest Ballet Presents Two Special Events in Conjunction with Seattle/New York Runs of Roméo et Juliette

SEATTLE, WA – In January 2008, Pacific Northwest Ballet brought Jean-Christophe Maillot’s masterful Roméo et Juliette to Seattle for its west coast premiere, making PNB the first American company to perform the work. Maillot’s contemporary interpretation of the great love story has been hailed throughout the world as "one of the most beautiful ballets adapted from Shakespeare's masterpiece that can be seen today" (Scènes Magazine), and became an audience favorite and a signature work in PNB’s repertory. Roméo et Juliette returns to the McCaw Hall stage for nine performances (February 1-10) as PNB continues its 40th Anniversary Season.

In conjunction with these performances, PNB is offering two very special presentations:

BUILDING A BALLET: ROMÉO ET JULIETTE AT PNB

Saturday, January 19, 3:00 pm

The Phelps Center, 301 Mercer Street, Seattle 98109

Learn from PNB artistic staff how the company builds a production from the ground up, featuring an insider’s view of the construction of PNB’s own scenery and costumes for Roméo et Juliette. This 90-minute presentation features PNB costume shop manager Larae Theige Hascall, technical director Norbert Herriges, and principal dancer Carla Körbes and will include a presentation of costumes, props and design sketches. Tickets to BUILDING A BALLET are $20 each, available through the PNB Box Office. Note: Space is limited for this event.

NEW YORK TOUR PREVIEW

Tuesday, February 5, 5:30 pm

The Phelps Center, 301 Mercer Street, Seattle 98109

Don’t miss this 90-minute preview of PNB’s upcoming tour to New York’s City Center of Music and Drama. The City Center engagement – featuring an evening of Balanchine works (Agon, Apollo and Concerto Barocco) and three performances of Roméo et Juliette – marks PNB’s first full-company appearance in New York since 1996, and the New York debut of the PNB Orchestra under the direction of music director/principal conductor Emil de Cou. Tickets to the NEW YORK TOUR PREVIEW are $20 each, available through the PNB Box Office.

In addition to these two special events, don’t miss the free BALLET PREVIEW on Tuesday, January 29 at 12:00 pm. PNB Education Programs Manager Doug Fullington will offer a free lunch-hour lecture providing insights about Roméo et Juliette complete with video excerpts. 12:00 noon at the Central Seattle Public Library, 1000 Fourth Avenue in downtown Seattle.

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

And for those that haven't already heard, Noelani Pantastico and Lucien Postelwaite will appear in the Saturday 9 February evening performance.

#3 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Tickets to this 2/9 performance were snapped up very quickly after PNB 1st announced the legendary Pantastico/Postelwaite guest cast. There are tickets left for this 2/9 evening performance, but only marginal seats. OTOH, seeing other casts is enhanced due to PNB's addition of 2 "extra" performances, both matinees. One is on the Sunday of the 1 week, and the second is on the Saturday of the 2nd week. Since there are no subscribers for these performances, there are lots of good seats.

#4 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Any news on the NYC castings?

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

According to the City Center site, when casting is added for the NYC performances, it will be added here:

http://www.nycitycen...r=6711#programs

Casting for Seattle performances is made public typically ten days before the start of the weekend performances.

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Peter Boal discusses why he chose "Romeo et Juliette" for the 40th anniversary season:

#7 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

"Agon" will be performed in the season closer, "Director's Choice", 31 May-1 June, 6-9 June.

Principal casting for the Seattle performances of "Romeo et Juliette" has been posted to the PNB website; as always, casting is subject to change:

http://www.pnb.org/S...liette/#Casting

Kaori Nakamura and James Moore reprise their partnership in the leads. Carla Korbes' new Romeo is Seth Orza, who also performs Tybalt twice second weekend. A new couple, who performed the "Balcony Pas de Deux" in the "Love Stories" rep last season, Lesley Rausch and Jerome Tisserand, are scheduled to dance the second Saturday matinee performance (9 Feb 2pm). William Lin-Yee debuts as Friar Lawrence in that matinee; Karel Cruz is cast for all other performances. Noelani Pantastico and Lucien Postlewaite perform the lead in the second Saturday evening performance (9 Feb 7:30pm). Sharing the role of Nurse are Rachel Foster, Margaret Mullin, and Carrie Imler.

Here are the cast lists for both weeks in Excel spreadsheet form, for those who wish to download them:
Attached File  R et J performance casting week 1.xls   29KB   8 downloads
Attached File  R et J performance casting week 2.xls   27KB   4 downloads

There's so much to look forward to!

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

PNB tweeted a photo of R&J stager Giovanna Lorenzoni with (l-r) Kaori Nakamura, Lesley Rausch, Carrie Imler, Carla Korbes, and a fifth dancer who is partially obscured by Lorenzoni. Maybe Margaret Mullin?

#SteveJobs would approve: RetJ stager, Giovanna uses her iPhone to review steps w/ dancers #WeTechSavvy pic.twitter.com/2sbXjYU6

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

PNB tweeted a photo of R&J stager Giovanna Lorenzoni with (l-r) Kaori Nakamura, Lesley Rausch, Carrie Imler, Carla Korbes, and a fifth dancer who is partially obscured by Lorenzoni. Maybe Margaret Mullin?

#SteveJobs would approve: RetJ stager, Giovanna uses her iPhone to review steps w/ dancers #WeTechSavvy pic.twitter.com/2sbXjYU6

I think it is Mullin -- look at the mouth.

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

PNB posted a new video called "On Being Friar Lawrence," which features Karel Cruz. The two acolytes at the beginning of the video are Andrew Bartee (left, with red curls) and Jerome Tisserand (right with dark hair). Later in the video, Carla Korbes is seen as Juliette, solo, with Cruz, and with her Romeo, Seth Orza.

#11 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

"Agon" will be performed in the season closer, "Director's Choice", 31 May-1 June, 6-9 June.

[size=5]O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay![/size]

My most favorite ballet......finally! Even tho I knew PNB was doing it in Victoria this year, it never occured to me that we would get it on our stage. I'm a happy man!

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

[size=5]O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay![/size]

My most favorite ballet......finally! Even tho I knew PNB was doing it in Victoria this year, it never occured to me that we would get it on our stage. I'm a happy man!

Indeed -- I'm thrilled as well. It's been several years since they performed Agon here.

#13 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

PNB posted a new video called "On Being Friar Lawrence," which features Karel Cruz. The two acolytes at the beginning of the video are Andrew Bartee (left, with red curls) and Jerome Tisserand (right with dark hair). Later in the video, Carla Korbes is seen as Juliette, solo, with Cruz, and with her Romeo, Seth Orza.

Around 1:35 I think it's Seth Rollofson as one of the acolytes, and around 1:40 isn't that Laura Gilbreath as Juliette? She's not performing this time out, but perhaps she's learning it now?

#14 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Definitely Rollofson as an acolyte, but I thought that was Gilbreath doing Lady Capulet. I couldn't recognize who was in the red tights or leg warmers practicing Juliet behind Carla Korbes.

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,994 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Other big news in this run of "Roméo et Juliette" is that PNB has built its own set and costumes instead of borrowing them. In today's "Seattle Times" there's an article about designer Jerome Kaplan and the inspiration for the designs, as well as a slide show of fittings:

http://seattletimes....ewromeoxml.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):