This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2012 Academy Awards

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

It's too late to delete Anne Hathaway's pink gown from my list, alas. When I saw it on TV-recap shows the next day, I noticed the tackiness of the pointy darts. Why those darts???

Hathaway replaced the Valentino gown that she had been planning to wear with the pink Prada at the last minute because Amanda Seyfried's Alexander McQueen was similar. In Exhibit A of celebrity "more-than-we-needed-to-know"-ness, Hathaway's camp released a statement to that effect after the Awards. Seriously.

So there probably no opportunity for her team to scrutinize the dress as it should have been. Hathaway has a longstanding relationship with Valentino and I'm sure that dress has been pored over for weeks, perhaps months. The Prada looks like it was thrown on, and not even properly fitted, unfortunately.

#47 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I liked the Prada frock and still do, despite the darts aimed at the darts. But for God's sake, Anne, eat something.

#48 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

I’ve read some very good things about "The Invisible War" and am happy to root for it, sight unseen. It looks like the Administration is taking a few real steps to begin to address the problem.

The documentarians don’t get the attention they deserve at the ceremonies, but at least they haven’t been shunted off to an auxiliary event like the special effects guys.

Thank you Drew and dirac, for the information about "The Invisible War". Just watched the trailer on the Oscar site and have it in my Netflix cue.

So sorry it didn't work out for The Invisible War last night. I tend to put a curse on my favored nominees, so it's probably my fault.

Kind of a late entry comment on my part, but...

I was bummed about Invisible War, but it did win the Independent Spirit Award for best documentary. (That's the Oscars for "Independent" films.) It also was screened by the Pentagon when it first came out which I suspect was plenty important to the film-makers as well as the women in the film, so...

#49 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Oh, it's never too late, Drew.

Obviously the Oscar would have been a big boost for "The Invisible War," but it does seem to be getting attention all the same - there's now a series in the NYT on the long term effects of assault on former servicewomen, and it looks as if reporters are going to the makers of "The Invisible War" for comments. The timing of the film is also good, with the roles for women in the military expanding.

The Independent Spirit Awards tend to be a fun broadcast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):