48 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Oscar nominations are out. Rooting hard for Emmanuelle Riva, who's spent a lifetime perfecting her craft only to have the Academy pit her against a nine-year-old. Pleasantly surprised for Life of Pi.

Haneke's "Amour" also was a best-picture surprise. The film, which won the top prize at last May's Cannes Film Festival, mainly had been considered a favorite in the foreign-language category, where it also was nominated. "Amour" had five nominations, including original screenplay and best-actress for Emmanuelle Riva.

#2 GianninaM

GianninaM

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Affleck was robbed. Twice!

Giannina

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Best Actor and Best Director are usually two of the most competitive categories, unfortunately for Ben. He or Trintignant could have been happily substituted for a couple of those who did make the cut, IMO.

#4 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Affleck was vindicated in the BAFTA noms, where was nominated as best actor and best director.

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I was sorry to see Moonlight Kingdom overlooked for most of the major categories -- it was a fascinating, eccentric film, and Anderson got some wonderful work out of his actors. Crossing my fingers for the writing award.

#6 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Glad to see Beasts of the Southern Wild get recognition. I loved that movie.

It always makes me laugh then the best picture and best director nominees don't match up.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

I think they all "match up" this year, vipa. (The Academy does have a habit of splitting the difference between Best Picture and Best Director, which arguably doesn't make much sense, given the dominance of the director in the contemporary filmmaking process.)

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Barbra is going to sing! sing! sing!

Streisand last sang at an Academy Awards ceremony in 1977, when she won an Oscar for co-writing “Evergreen,” from her remake of “A Star is Born.” But perhaps smarting over past directing nomination snubs (“The Prince of Tides,” “Yentl”), she nixed a chance to take the stage in 1997. Celine Dion stepped in to perform Streisand’s Oscar-nominated “I Finally Found Someone” from “The Mirror Has Two Faces.”

#9 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Rooting for best documentary The Invisible War! (Mmm...this is not as high minded as it sounds since I know someone closely involved with the film.)

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

I’ve read some very good things about "The Invisible War" and am happy to root for it, sight unseen. It looks like the Administration is taking a few real steps to begin to address the problem.

The documentarians don’t get the attention they deserve at the ceremonies, but at least they haven’t been shunted off to an auxiliary event like the special effects guys.

#11 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

I’ve read some very good things about "The Invisible War" and am happy to root for it, sight unseen. It looks like the Administration is taking a few real steps to begin to address the problem.

The documentarians don’t get the attention they deserve at the ceremonies, but at least they haven’t been shunted off to an auxiliary event like the special effects guys.

Thank you Drew and dirac, for the information about "The Invisible War". Just watched the trailer on the Oscar site and have it in my Netflix cue.

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

You're very welcome. :) A segment of the Piers Morgan show was devoted to the film and it just got noticed on the Times op-ed page, as well. All good signs.

Tomorrow is the big night. I have this fantasy where a stunned and happy Joaquin Phoenix graciously accepts the Best Actor award while Daniel Day-Lewis sits looking as if someone hit him on the head with a polo mallet, but I realize this is unlikely.

#13 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,246 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Best Dressed at the Oscars tonight...

Halle Berry in Versace

Posted Image

Jane Fonda in Atelier Versace
Posted Image

Nicole Kidman in L'Wren Scott.

Posted Image

Naomi Watts in Armani Prive

Posted Image

Salma Hayek in Alexander McQueen
Posted Image

Stacy Keibler in Naeem Khan

Posted Image

Catherine Zeta Jones in Zuhair Murad

Posted Image

#14 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I sort of understand why they grouped the best picture intros into sets of three, but it made for some very awkward moments. But those seem to go with the overall glitchiness of the program -- I think that Seth McFarland may be one of the most bizarre hosts I've seen

#15 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,246 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):