This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alexandra Danilova - Kennedy Center Honor 1989

Wonderful video. Mme Danilova looks so regal. Ah, the great 80's with its shameless excesses of shoulder pads, sequined dresses and big hair! How nice when people were not afraid of the "more, please, more!" motto...

Now, is that SL choreo the one used by B. in his one act staging...? I notice slightly changes in some steps here and there. And who's that pretty boy partnering Kirstler...?

Jerome Robbins' homage was very well done. His gentle, carefully modulated tone is surprising considering his reputation for sarcasm and rage, currently the topic of another thread. Jacques d'Amboise was charming and funny.

I was looking forward to the chance to see Kistler's Odette one more time. I'm puzzled by this performance. It seemed rote, even slightly mechanical. I'm hoping my eyes deceived me on this, because I have glowing memories of a very different Darci onstage.

Jerome Robbins' homage was very well done. His gentle, carefully modulated tone is surprising considering his reputation for sarcasm and rage, currently the topic of another thread. Jacques d'Amboise was charming and funny.

I was looking forward to the chance to see Kistler's Odette one more time. I'm puzzled by this performance. It seemed rote, even slightly mechanical. I'm hoping my eyes deceived me on this, because I have glowing memories of a very different Darci onstage.

If anything, Danilova's Odette had lots of 'soul'--which was sadly lacking in this performance.---but my sympathies to any b allerina who has to perform this PDD with Danilova watching---really liked Robert Lyon (why is he not familiar to me??)

...[R]eally liked Robert Lyon (why is he not familiar to me??)

He was in NYCB for only 5-6 years, if my memory is accurate, and while he had started getting roles, he never advanced out of the corps. A shame, because as he shows here, he was a valuable partner.

I add my thanks.GIF to Mme H for posting this wonderful segment.

f.y.i. the Winter 2012-2013 School of American Ballet News -mailed out by S.A.B. and possibly distributed on the premises? has an interview with Robert Lyon on p. 5: Interview with SAB Alumnus Robert Lyon. His current job is "segment produce for "The Rachel Maddow Show."