This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bits and Pieces of Balanchine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

#61 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

The Bolshoi is filming a lot of stuff, but it has been slow to reach DVD. Since 2010 they have filmed 15 ballets in HD, but thus far only four have been released commercially, and they're not necessarily the ones I would most like to have. Of the ones still sitting in the vault there are a half dozen I would buy in a heartbeat.

The Bolshoi will give Jewels the HD treatment in January. Just as long as they don't give us Svetlana Zakharova in "Diamonds." Oy.

Hah! The Russians are very star oriented - and their DVDs tend to be star vehicles.  We know Balanchine hated dealing with stars (of course he wanted choreography to be a focus of ballet, and not just the lead dancers). I do like the fact that the Russians film all these performances as part of their 'cultural patrimony'. But that will come to include the Balanchine works - works that never would have existed had he never left St. Petersburg/Leningrad and formed relationships with so many different people in the West...

#62 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Early vintage Stars and Stripes with Hayden and d'Amboise:

http://youtu.be/leXASt3CZW0

Always a pleasure to see that team.  ;)

#63 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

yes, sometimes when I see Melissa Hayden dance I wonder if she wasn't secretly Cuban - everything is so secure, clean, with just the right amount of panache.  

#64 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Here's a little Symphony in C with Allegra Kent / Conrad Ludlow, with voice over from the master himself:

There is also a generous portion of Symphony in C with Kent and Ludlow in the "Dancing for Mr. B." documentary:

#65 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Semperoper Ballet shown performing Rubies - with some real verve (especially the "Tall Girl").

Leads: Anna Merkulova, Jiří Bubeníček, Julia Weiss

#66 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Nice to see some speed in a European Rubies!

#67 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Balanchine and the "baby ballerinas" - from the Ballet Russes documentary:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XEjpqIcIoPw

#68 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

NYCB has published a series of videos that feature different principals talking about particular Balanchine ballets. I imagine many of us have seen at least a few of these. There is now one for Teresa Reichlen in which talks about the Firebird role. I can't remember seeing much of any footage of Balanchine's Firebird, so I thought it would be good to add to the thread:

Perhaps a repeat, but here's Maria Tallchief rehearsing the role:

Tallchief at Jacob's Pillow in Firebird and Sylvia

#69 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Maria Tallchief and Andre Eglevsky - Pas de Dix (Balanchine, 1955; TV Performance, 1957) - Part 1

Pas de Dix - Part 2

#70 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

I so love these videos of Pas de Dix. I don't know how they managed to dance on that small stage, it's just awful! I recognize one of the couples as Ruth Sobotka & Shaun O'Brien. Who else is there, anybody know?

#71 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

I so love these videos of Pas de Dix. I don't know how they managed to dance on that small stage, it's just awful! I recognize one of the couples as Ruth Sobotka & Shaun O'Brien. Who else is there, anybody know?

Aren't they great?

I had the same reaction - the dancers do a good job of appearing vivacious and bouyant without actually leaping about - there's only around 30 feet of space to work with for 4 couples! I happened to read a passage from Edward Villellas's book last night, in which he describes the early days of dance on TV, and the constraints and conditions were pretty much awful. It was like being forced to perform inside a prison lunch room, while being shot by cameras.

#72 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

happened to read a passage from Edward Villellas's book last night, in which he describes the early days of dance on TV, and the constraints and conditions were pretty much awful. It was like being forced to perform inside a prison lunch room, while being shot by cameras.

And much of it was live -- which made it even more fraught.  The Sunday morning program "Light Unto My Feet" often included dance performance as part of its programming -- Pearl Lang made several works for them, and I remember reading about the cramped conditions (and ultra-hard floors!)

#73 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

The second variation done by a soloist was Barbara Fallis.  I studied with her in NYC years ago.  She sadly passed away some years ago.  Her son is Richard Thomas, the actor.  

Which couple were Ruth Sobotka & Shaun O'Brien?

I'd love to know who the other dancers were.  

#74 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

The second variation done by a soloist was Barbara Fallis.  I studied with her in NYC years ago.  She sadly passed away some years ago.  Her son is Richard Thomas, the actor.  

Thank you, vipa. Is Richard Thomas (Sr) still alive? When you look at the still image of Pas de Dix - Part 2, Sobotka & O'Brien are the third couple to the left - or the second couple to your right - depending upon how you view it. She is wearing glittering earrings. Sobotka also does a solo at the end of Pas de Dix - Part 1; she is the soloist on the right.

#75 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Thank you, vipa. Is Richard Thomas (Sr) still alive? When you look at the still image of Pas de Dix - Part 2, Sobotka & O'Brien are the third couple to the left - or the second couple to your right - depending upon how you view it. She is wearing glittering earrings. Sobotka also does a solo at the end of Pas de Dix - Part 1; she is the soloist on the right.

Richard Thomas Sr. is indeed alive.   He is living in Kentucky.  That's were he originally was from.  Thanks for identifying Sobotka.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):