• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

#31 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Davidsbündlertänze (Watts and Martins - 1 min 39 sec shown)

Donizetti Variations Pas de Deux

Donizetti Variations Pas de Deux with Guillermo Gonzales y Giovanna Martinatt

Donizetti Variations - Giovanna Martinatt variation

#32 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I know I've dumped a great deal of video on everyone. And I've been recovering from the shock of being able to watch La Valse and Palais (albeit in fuzzy, low resolution).

I'm wondering what people feel about the approach to the La Valse death scene - Lopatkina begins by showing her shock/revulsion to her image in the death mirror, but quickly acquiesces and puts on the remaining black items in what seemed to me a perfunctory manner - very little ceremony or drama to the act. I always thought there was more ceremony, and nuance, to the original 1950s version. Though I did like her final collapse, and the (always) shocking 'dead weight' aspect of her limp body contrasting dramatically with the whirling corps dancers. "Dancing on the edge of a volcano..."

#33 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thank you so much for that Liebeslieder!

#34 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Thank you so much for that Liebeslieder!

You're welcome - I only wish we could find the entire performance somewhere! That is a segment from the Balanchine "American Masters" documentary.

#35 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Now THIS is something: Mozartiana (Theme, Variations, and Pas) with Suzanne Farrell and Ib Anderson

https://www.youtube....d&v=I3LYZvUgNdo

spectacular, indeed!

#36 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Now THIS is something: Mozartiana (Theme, Variations, and Pas) with Suzanne Farrell and Ib Anderson

[size=4]And here's another piece, from Jesus Pastor – in which the[/size] gigue is turned inside out – a kind of executive summary of Mozartiana, and of late Balanchine.

It begins at 2:14, but worth wading through R&J before that.

https://www.youtube....h?v=mDsT4Y_ttZM

#37 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Oh my, oh my, oh my! The real thing! A drop-everything-and-look-what's-on-the-Internet moment! Oh, yes, pherank thank you, thank you! Good thread, lots of fun here, but, yes, THIS is something!

#38 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

I feel somewhat defeated in finding anything much for The Four Temperaments (though it is available on the Choreography by Balanchine DVD)...

Maria Tallchief and Mary Ellen Moylan talking about, among other things, The 4 T's:

SF Ballet teaser for The 4 T's

Marjorie Spohn and Stephen Caras in the first theme of George Balanchine's "The Four Temperaments" (1946)

MaggioDanza in The Four Temperaments (about 3 and half minutes worth)

#39 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I rather enjoyed this glimpse of Nutcracker without all the stage trappings:

BAE Students dancing Waltz of the Flowers and Pas de Deux

BAE students dancing Serenade

And a segment from the Stravinsky Violin Concerto Pas De Deux with Karen Von Aroldingen and Bart Cook

Janie Taylor and her amazing hair talking about Violin Concerto (hair doesn't talk though)

[You also get to see her preparing pointe shoes in her own special way]

#40 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

NYCB, Western Symphony (complete) filmed in France in the last week of Tanaquil Le Clercq's career:

http://www.ina.fr/vi...hony-video.html

And the color film of Jacques and Tanny that appears in the Balanchine documentary:

#41 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

This is a really wonderful slideshow of images concerning George Balanchine's "Cotillon":

Cotillon footage from the Balanchine documentary:

I suspect that the Cotillon black and white footage from the Ballet Russes documentary contains footage of Balanchine as one of the principles, but I haven't found a video of that online yet...

#42 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

PNB's Concerto Barocco excerpt (that's all we ever get for this ballet)

#43 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

Here is a contemplative piece about PNB's Diamonds from 2013 (Carla Korbes & Karel Cruz):

And for comparison, here is a snippet from NYCB (Sara Mearns), the music is played very fast, but not particularly well.

#44 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Jayne, thanks so much for the pair of links -- since we've just seen a lot of Diamonds here in Seattle, the work has been on my mind. I love the performances I saw over the last couple of weeks, but Mearns performance is lovely indeed, and I think that tempo really suits what she's doing with the part (or she's found something in that tempo?)

#45 GeorgeB fan

GeorgeB fan

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

For my money this is the definitive - at least on video - performance of Balanchine's Sylvia Pas de Deux.

Martine Van Hamel and Patrick Bissell is simply marvelous. They perform it with such confident authority and easy grace you would have thought Balanchine himself had created the pas de deux especially for them. Pure brilliance.

http://youtu.be/EwB1jWcK5Ek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):