This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I know I've dumped a great deal of video on everyone. And I've been recovering from the shock of being able to watch La Valse and Palais (albeit in fuzzy, low resolution).

I'm wondering what people feel about the approach to the La Valse death scene - Lopatkina begins by showing her shock/revulsion to her image in the death mirror, but quickly acquiesces and puts on the remaining black items in what seemed to me a perfunctory manner - very little ceremony or drama to the act. I always thought there was more ceremony, and nuance, to the original 1950s version. Though I did like her final collapse, and the (always) shocking 'dead weight' aspect of her limp body contrasting dramatically with the whirling corps dancers. "Dancing on the edge of a volcano..."

Now THIS is something: Mozartiana (Theme, Variations, and Pas) with Suzanne Farrell and Ib Anderson

And here's another piece, from Jesus Pastor – in which the gigue is turned inside out – a kind of executive summary of Mozartiana, and of late Balanchine.

It begins at 2:14, but worth wading through R&J before that.

Now THIS is something: Mozartiana (Theme, Variations, and Pas) with Suzanne Farrell and Ib Anderson

Oh my, oh my, oh my! The real thing! A drop-everything-and-look-what's-on-the-Internet moment! Oh, yes, pherank thank you, thank you! Good thread, lots of fun here, but, yes, THIS is something!

I feel somewhat defeated in finding anything much for The Four Temperaments (though it is available on the Choreography by Balanchine DVD)...

Maria Tallchief and Mary Ellen Moylan talking about, among other things, The 4 T's:

SF Ballet teaser for The 4 T's

Marjorie Spohn and Stephen Caras in the first theme of George Balanchine's "The Four Temperaments" (1946)

MaggioDanza in The Four Temperaments (about 3 and half minutes worth)

I rather enjoyed this glimpse of Nutcracker without all the stage trappings:

BAE Students dancing Waltz of the Flowers and Pas de Deux

BAE students dancing Serenade

And a segment from the Stravinsky Violin Concerto Pas De Deux with Karen Von Aroldingen and Bart Cook

Janie Taylor and her amazing hair talking about Violin Concerto (hair doesn't talk though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOyIXgVX3E
[You also get to see her preparing pointe shoes in her own special way]

Jayne, thanks so much for the pair of links -- since we've just seen a lot of Diamonds here in Seattle, the work has been on my mind. I love the performances I saw over the last couple of weeks, but Mearns performance is lovely indeed, and I think that tempo really suits what she's doing with the part (or she's found something in that tempo?)

For my money this is the definitive - at least on video - performance of Balanchine's Sylvia Pas de Deux.

Martine Van Hamel and Patrick Bissell is simply marvelous. They perform it with such confident authority and easy grace you would have thought Balanchine himself had created the pas de deux especially for them. Pure brilliance.

For my money this is the definitive - at least on video - performance of Balanchine's Sylvia Pas de Deux.

Martine Van Hamel and Patrick Bissell is simply marvelous. They perform it with such confident authority and easy grace you would have thought Balanchine himself had created the pas de deux especially for them. Pure brilliance.

Excellent find, thanks.

O-M-G!!!!! Just when I thought I couldn't love YouTube anymore then I do now...I discovered this!!!

La Valse with Tanaquil LeClercq and Nicholas Magallanes

Yes this is the Jacob's Pillow performance that everyone wonders - Where is the rest of it?!!!

I don't know if you noticed but hidden within this thread is a link to the Mariinsky/Lopatkina performing La Valse. It's not Tanny, but it's still so great to see, and they do a very good job, if not truly great.

I don't know if you noticed but hidden within this thread is a link to the Mariinsky/Lopatkina performing La Valse. It's not Tanny, but it's still so great to see, and they do a very good job, if not truly great.

Sadly that was it. I'm going to see Lopatkina clip right now. thanks for the heads up!