158 replies to this topic

#31 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

So I have taken Drew's advice and skipped the Joyce. What about PNB at City Center, presenting a program of "Concerto Barocco", "Agon", and "Apollo" as well as Maillot's "R&J"? The only $35 seats remaining are in the back of the orchestra, to the side. I have sat in the second row of CC, on the side, and been disatisfied with curtailed views.

#32 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

puppytreats, if you can see PNB at City Center, I'd do it. For the Balanchine program. Hopefully, you'll see Carla Korbes in something.

#33 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

As long as Korbes is healthy, the question is which she will dance in: the lead in "Concerto Barocco," Terpsichore in "Apollo," or the Pas de Deux in "Agon." I've seen her dance the first two. I can't remember if she's done the "Agon" in Seattle, but she may have in the last mini-tour to Victoria (BC).

Maillot has given Noelani Pantastico and Lucien Postlewaite leave to dance a performance of his "Romeo et Juliette" in Seattle the weekend before the City Center run. I'm not sure if they'll dance the work in NYC as part of this tour. Korbes and Nakamura were also phenomenal in it the last time it was performed in Seattle. Postlewaite was Korbes partner; I'm not sure who her partner will be now that Postlewaite is a member of Les Ballets de Monte Carlo.

#34 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I bought a ticket for the NYCB Symphony program - Western, 3, C, in addition to the GB celebration performances. No $29 tickets in sight.

I am concerned that the seats at City Centre will render viewing impossible. Has anyone sat in the back of the orchestra since the renovation?

#35 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I have, and while it's not guaranteed that the sight lines won't be obscured like in the old days, if you get a really tall person in front of you, someone with a big square head, or someone who wants to put his or her head on his or her partner's shoulder and cuddle, it's not pretty, and then you're back to needing a chiropractor. I prefer seats closer to the side, since you can usually get a view on an angle.

#36 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

Heads up. NYCB has changed the program yet again for Feb 1. The first ballet of the evening was originally supposed to be Piano Pieces. It was subsequently changed to In the Night (which I was looking forward to). Now the first ballet is listed as Polyphonia.

#37 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Casting was just posted for the second week (January 22-27):

http://www.nycballet...-2013_lobby.pdf

#38 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

I watched "Serendade" and "Symphony in C" last night to prepare for my Saturday with George.

Re: "Serenade": From the tiny computer screen and blurry video, as well as the "Swan-lookalike-which one is she effect," I cannot tell which women at the end become the (a) "ascending one who can't be saved by 'Orpheus'/ the dying woman" and (b) the "Dark Angel/'Amour'/winged guide who covers the man's eyes." Are they identifiable in the beginning? Also, is there a "Myrtha" type women leading the group which displays the "underwater Wili-type" movements?

Re: "C": In the new costumes, the men no longer appear like harlequins. Does this impact the interpretation for anyone?

#39 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

are your questions about the PBS Serenade from 1990 or the Berlin one from '73?
here's the order for the '90 film, in which Kistler leads the Waltz (and is carried off at the end); Nichols is the Tema Russo (middle section); and Calegari is the "blinding angel" of the final, Elegie section:

Serenade (ca. 34 min.) / music, Peter Tchaikovsky ; costumes, Barbara Karinska ; danced by Darci Kistler, Kyra Nichols, Maria Calegari, Adam Lüders, Leonid Kozlov, with Marisa Cerveris, Lisa Jackson, Miriam Mahdaviani, Kathleen Tracey, and ensemble.

if your questions relate to the Berlin film, that data can be found but is not now at hand here.

#40 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

I watched the Berlin film.

#41 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

here is some info on the Berlin SERENADE:

Serenade. Music: Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky. Danced by Karin von Aroldingen, Susan Hendl, Sara Leland, Kay Mazzo, Jean-Pierre Bonnefous, Peter Martins, and artists of the New York City Ballet.

i had forgotten until digging up these credits that it was filmed w/ four ballerinas. if mem. serves von Aroldingen in is the 'blinding angel" Bonnefous is the man being led in the Elegie.

i forget who, among Hendl, Leland, and Mazzo, led the Sonatina, Waltz and Tema Russo.

#42 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I watched "Serendade" and "Symphony in C" last night to prepare for my Saturday with George.

Did you watch these on YouTube? What is the symphony in C you watched? I've never found a full-out production of it anywhere... Thanks for any info, puppytreats.

#43 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Albany, I got confused. Saturday with George during the Celebration day includes "Ballet Imperial" and "Themes and Variations". "Crystal Palace" is in a few weeks. I also watched a version of "Allegro Brilliante", with Maria Tallchief, introduced by Shirely Jones speaking in a weird accent. The version lasted less than ten minutes, and I think Balanchine Variations states that the ballet lasts seventeen minutes, so maybe includes only one movement.

#44 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

Thanks, puppytreats. ( Posted ImageFrom your moniker, am I right in assuming you are a dog lover, as well as a ballet lover?) I have a Golden Retriever named Fergus - he's wonderful.
Back to topic, would you like meet during one of the intermissions at the matinee on Saturday (I seem to remember you are going to both performances...)? If you don't, I understand. Being very new to BA, I know no one so I'm not sure if any of you get together or visit when you happen to be at the same performance. I'm not registered for the 1:40pm lecture and don't think I can make that one, but I do have a tkt to the demo 5-6pm.

I've been dipping into Nancy Goldner's fun books, too, and depending on how I feel, I may indeed take in the eve performance....

#45 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

If anyone wants a nudge in the direction of the Serenade and Symphony in C films, PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):