This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter Season 2013

I was at the SB this afternoon and thought that if Tiler Peck gave the performance she gave at the ABT, she'd receive huge prolonged ovations and flowers. Stunned that she got a polite golf clap for one of the most secure, beautiful Rose Adagio's I've ever seen. She really just sparkled. Teresa Reichlen's Lilac Fairy a bit reserved but beautifully danced. Great overall performance, loved it.

Yesterday afternoon, Tiler Peck's Aurora was musically and technically a joy, especially during the Rose Adagio. I would only ask that she add a few of the signature gestures that traditional Auroras have. Tiler is new to the role of course and I'm sure she will pick up these little details along the way (either by herself or from coaching). I too was stunned that she got only one in front of the curtain call after such a magnificent performance. Kudos too to Huxley for his Bluebird.

I saw Sleeping Beauty this afternoon, and will post my impressions later. I was wonder if anyone else has seen SB. I haven't seen anyone write about it yet.

I saw it on Saturday afternoon with Megan Fairchild and I enjoyed the performance immensely but can't post my thoughts right now as my Golden Retriever, Fergus, is giving me the 'Fergie-eye' (i.e., he wants his walk on this beautiful day!) So, I'll write later about my wonderful experience at NYCB! Also, has anyone seen the performance I saw?.... (Sat, Feb 16, 2pm).

I've seen three casts -Fairchild/DeLuz, Bouder/Veyette, and Peck/Angle.

I enjoyed all of the Aurora performances, but I felt Megan's interpretation was the weakest. Bouder had the most amazing performance in terms of her level of technique. She is a powerhouse. Tiler Peck's performance was very musical. I'm always pleasantly surprised to witness how much Veyette has improved over time. He was an excellent Desire in terms of both his techique and his acting. I'm very familiar with the high level of DeLuz's performances, having seen him since he first joined ABT. I knew he would be excellent, and he delivered on all accounts. The only problem I have w. Tyler Angle is that he is not a first rate technician, but he managed to do well enough.

Mearns and Reichlin both dance Lilac with gorgeous phrasing and port de bras. Janie Taylor is completely miscast as Lilac. She does not dominate the action in any way, and her classical technique tends to be sketchy. She fell during her difficult variation in the Prologue the night I saw it (Feb 14).

I also want to mention the brilliant Bluebird of Huxley. This guy floats through the air. His feet are always perfectly pointed. Gorgeous.I hope they promote him to principal at some point. The only thing holding him back, potentially, is his height.

I don't have enough time to remark about all of the supporting roles right now.

This is an exquisite production, with gorgeous sets and costumes. There is very little dumb filler choreography in this production (compared w. the ABT production, where I cringe every time I have to sit through the spindle dance, the prolonged section where Desire defeats Carabosse, or the gutted wedding section).

I saw the Sun. Mat. SB and agree with Canbelto that if T. Peck had done this performance at ABT there would have been a great ovation.

My impressions - What a great company! The fairies - Gerrity, Sell, Wellington, Segin & Mann all corps members, and all did beautiful, musical variations. Jewels in the last act - the ladies were wonderful. Krohn is a principal and was stylish and musical in her variation, but so too were Laracey & Pollack who are both corps members.

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed in Reichlin as Lilac Fairy. She had some struggles in her prologue variation (Peter Martins didn't do anyone a favor with speeding it up because the step that turns and finishes into tendu is even harder). I just don't think she had the amplitude or gave us the generosity of the ideal Lilac Fairy. Maybe the way she kept her arms behind her shoulders threw her off from her usual mastery.

I thought Tyler Angle was fine, particularly in his coda. It's not much of a role for the man.

Bluebird - Huxley was the best I've seen in a long time - anyone out there see Ulbricht? Erica Pereira - sorry but I don't get her. She is looking stronger, but did strange things with her head, and nothing looks organic to me. It's as if some coach tells her what to do and she plasters it on.

Tiler Peck is a wonderful, musical dancer. Her upper body is extraordinary in her ability to keep floating on top while doing allegro steps. At the same time I know this performance is a work in progress as far as her characterization goes.

Since this is the only SB that I will be seeing, I hope to read many more comments from you all out there.

One more thing - NYCB - what a great company.

good to read that Sarah Mearns is healthy enough to take on Lilac Fairy. Probably best that she has this short role now, and not take on the marathon Aurora until she is 100% healed.

Mearns has always done Lilac, never Aurora. They generally use the shorter women for Aurora, and the tall girls for Lilac. Janie Taylor is the exception to the rule. Vipa, I saw Ulbricht do Bluebird. Obviously, he gets a lot of height to his jumps. However, he is not an elegant dancer in terms of his line, which tends to get sloppy. I think Ulbricht is much more of a modern dancer, and does not look as good in classical rep.

Vipa, yes Reichlin did have some slight trouble in the prologue, but I thought it was minor. Mearns also had some minor difficulty with that variation, but not enough to be a distraction.

I saw Bouder/Veyette Sat 2/16 (night). Blown away by Ashley's Rose Adagio, which is THE best one I've ever seen (and that includes Cojocaru's on youtube!). Her characterization was spot on, from her first entrance -- she was so girlish and youthful, and the balances were AMAZING. Her hand went up to fifth and floated ever so slowly down to the princes' supporting hands each time -- both the shorter initial balances and then the longer ones at the end. What a showstopper! With other Auroras those hands fly up and down again to a death grip. Beautiful penchees and extension, amazing height on the jumps. I want to see her again but I'm not sure I want to disturb the memory of such a perfect performance! I don't know if I'd want to see any other ballerina in the role again -- this is the performance I'll be mentally comparing against. She was even better than when they did Beauty a couple of years ago. I was struck by her Vision scene then, which is still beautiful, but even more so by her Rose Adagio this time around. Ashley also has the best arms and back of any of the principal women at City Ballet right now -- her guesting in Europe really paid off on that score, I think. Fantasy casting -- I would love to see Ashley do Giselle! Veyette was also technically marvelous. Other standouts of the night included Lauren Lovette and Danny Ulbricht in the Bluebird variation. Lovette was lovely, and Danny's jumps were effortless. Agree that Janie Taylor was not the strongest Lilac. The faires were so-so, and I didn't think Ringer was a particularly effective Carabosse. But -- run to see this cast for Ashley's Aurora!

I agree completely w. Balanchinette about Bouder and Veyette. Bouder's balances were held longer and her jumps were higher than any of the other Aurora's at NYCB. She is MUCH better in this run than when she debuted in the role a few years ago. Really excellent characterization too. Ringer is too nice to play Carabosse. She doesn't really do evil. Loved Maria's over the top portrayal of Carabosse, although I wish she would return to the Lilac Fairy role for old times sake.

On a separate note, why are they scheduling Scheller to do Florine tonight! She should be resting in prep for her big debut as Aurora tomorrow. She has waited her turn to perform this role. She mentioned either in an interview or lecture a while back that she had learned the role of Aurora for the prior run of SB, but never got to perform it. Wishing her well!

. Ashley also has the best arms and back of any of the principal women at City Ballet right now -- her guesting in Europe really paid off on that score, I think. Fantasy casting -- I would love to see Ashley do Giselle!

I always thought that Ashley as Giselle was unimaginable, until I saw her in "Serenade" and felt I had seen her as Giselle, and she was wonderful.

On a separate note, why are they scheduling Scheller to do Florine tonight! She should be resting in prep for her big debut as Aurora tomorrow. She has waited her turn to perform this role. She mentioned either in an interview or lecture a while back that she had learned the role of Aurora for the prior run of SB, but never got to perform it. Wishing her well!

Someone over at NYCB must read these comments, because Scheller is now replaced by Pollack as tonight's Florine.

Mearns has always done Lilac, never Aurora. They generally use the shorter women for Aurora, and the tall girls for Lilac. Janie Taylor is the exception to the rule. Vipa, I saw Ulbricht do Bluebird. Obviously, he gets a lot of height to his jumps. However, he is not an elegant dancer in terms of his line, which tends to get sloppy. I think Ulbricht is much more of a modern dancer, and does not look as good in classical rep.

Vipa, yes Reichlin did have some slight trouble in the prologue, but I thought it was minor. Mearns also had some minor difficulty with that variation, but not enough to be a distraction.

Thanks for the report Abatt. Unfortunately I'm only able to see one SB this season so I really appreciate getting all the reports and opinions.

I saw Scheller's debut last night as Aurora. She seemed very nervous, especially during the Rose Adagiio scene. She quickly gave her hand from one suitor to the next because she could not hold the balance for long. In fact, at one point she looked dangerously close to coming off the pointe but the strong and able hand of one of the suitors saved her. There were minor glitches here and there in her footwork that I'm sure will be ironed out for the next time. I didn't think she placed much focus in development of character. Nor did I find her vision scene particularly moving. All the steps were done, but it lwas bland. The wedding scene was, in my opinion, the best portion of her performance. I would say her performance is a work in progress that will hopefully improve over time.

Savannah did pretty well with her Lilac. She certainly has the height for the role. Most of her variation was well done, although there were some small problems with her footwork.

I had high hopes for Brittany Pollack as Florine. However, she lacked refinement, especially in her use of her arms.

Garcia was in good form and seems to work well with Scheller.

At today's rehearsal the company was working on repetory for the tour. Among them was "Polyphonia". The Wendy Whelan, Jock Soto roles were taken by Tiler Peck and Ask Le Cour. The dancers were game but the entire shape of the dance was different and they struggled to bend into the proper shapes. I would file it under an "interesting experience."

CAM

I was at last night's performance. Great overall performance -- Bouder's Aurora still amazes with her absolute security and confidence. The final series of promenade/balances in the Rose Adagio were amazing. The fairies were absolutely wonderful. But Lauren Lovette as Princess Florine was simply perfection. I have a feeling next time this is revived, Lovette will be dancing Aurora. She really has that special star quality.

At today's rehearsal the company was working on repetory for the tour. Among them was "Polyphonia". The Wendy Whelan, Jock Soto roles were taken by Tiler Peck and Ask Le Cour. The dancers were game but the entire shape of the dance was different and they struggled to bend into the proper shapes. I would file it under an "interesting experience."

CAM

Speaking of the tour, it seems that Somogyi has recovered. I looked at the casting for the Nevada shows, and Jennie Somogyi is cast in Red Angels. Let's hope she stays injury-free for a long, long time.

. Ashley also has the best arms and back of any of the principal women at City Ballet right now -- her guesting in Europe really paid off on that score, I think. Fantasy casting -- I would love to see Ashley do Giselle!

I always thought that Ashley as Giselle was unimaginable, until I saw her in "Serenade" and felt I had seen her as Giselle, and she was wonderful.

Ashley was indeed wonderful this season in Serenade. I would love to see NYCB stage (is that the right word?) Giselle, but not the way they staged Swan Lake full-length and Romeo and Juliet. I really don't care for those sets and costumes, except the swans' tutus. I'm willing to bet many of their ballerinas would love to dance the role. Several years ago (maybe 5 or so), NYCB danced Chopiniana at Saratoga Performing Arts Center and it was really lovely. According to NYCB's website, it was choreographed by Danilova after Fokine.

Yes, the Martins fulllengths are pretty hideous, aren't they, AlbanyGirl? ugliest Swan Lake I've ever seen in terms of decor and costumes. (Not that the choreography is good.)

Chopiniana was an odd hybrid thing. Balanchine and Danilova did it *together*--in 1972. The thing most criticized about it at the time were the brief little skirts and tunics

(almost like Apollo's costumes) which are not at all appropriate for a Romantic ballet such as Les Sylphides (the original title)....Karin von Aroldingen , one of the principals

in that production, spoke about it very amusingly--she said that there was not enough money for real costumes but that she tried out a prototype which Karinska made for her--

white, layered and tiered, at least below the knee. von A said it was lovely and she felt completely different wearing it. She also observed that --this is too funny--

"All those slooooooooooooooow landings--with nothing on--were VERY disturbing!!"

Martins seems to have an affinity for Per Kirkeby - a fellow Dane (designer of sets and costumes of SL and R&J). While Martins might enjoy his artwork, I think he made a huge mistake hiring him for these 2 productions. As noted above, the designs and costumes are hideous. Kirkeby may be an admired artist (by some), but his concepts do not translate well to the ballet stage. It's a big problem when directors like Martins hire their friends for projects that they are not qualified for. (Similar problem with the new backdrop for Scotch Symphony that was unveiled a few years ago, designed by a former NYCB dancer.)

The designers used for the sets and costumes of SB are well known and have worked on numerous Broadway productions. They are not studio artists who are dabbling in stage production design..

"Sleeping Beauty" does count as one of the Martins full-lengths. He got it right at least once.

I like his "Magic Flute" it's a particularly good ballet to take kids to. IMO much better than Sleeping Beauty or Nutcracker as an introduction to ballet for kids.