This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter Season 2013

Just want to mention that I got same day half price tickets for Sunday at the Atrium across from Lincoln Center. They had fourth ring rows A & B. I love those seats. I was very center of the fourth ring row B. They also had some first ring at half price.

I had my first experience with the subscription ticket exchange option. The casting for the first week of SB's went up and, although I'm sure each Aurora will do a fine job, I wanted to be sure to see Tiler Peck do it. I gave the very helpful box office lady my 2 options and the trade was successful for comparable seats. However only one of the two dates had availability, and both date quite full. In fact I was told the ballet was selling extremely well in general. I'm thinking they might open up the 4th and maybe even the 5th ring.

Anyone else have any experience with the exchange thing?

I too exchanged one of my subscription tickets as soon as SB casting went up because I wanted to see Tiler Peck. My usual seats are in the Second Ring and, for Tiler's 2/17 matinee, I was given the choice of only First Ring on the arm or Third Ring. Very glad to know the house is full. It's been extremely packed every time I've gone. I will of course catch one of Ashley's SB too.

I saw Paz De La Jolla and, on a differnt program, Year of the Rabbit, over the weekend. Paz was pleasant, with creative choreography for the corps in particular. It is more conventional than Peck's Rabbit, but with much less detail. You can tell that Peck had an enormous amount of time to polish the choreography of Rabbit. Not so much for Paz. For me the standout of Paz was Tiler Peck. It showed off her strong technical abilities. In some ways, it reminded me of when Tiler Peck came bursting out of the corps in Martins' Friandises (spell?). I liked Rabbit more this season than last, although I still think there are aspects of the ballet that are mere filler rather than choreography (having corps men do push ups, having corps women do stretching exercises, for example).The pdd between Taylor and Angle was particularly beautiful in Rabbit.

Bouder really earned her pay on Sunday. She did double duty. Her role in Rabbit is very difficult. Nevertheless, she did a brilliant job in Voices of Spring in VW on the same program. Carmena gave one of his best performances as Bouder's partner in VW. It bothered me that there were groans in the audience when it was announced that Maria K. was replacing Mearns in the final section of VW. It's a rude response. Maria is an excellent dancer, and she has grown a lot in her role in the final section.

On Sunday, the main pdd in Glass Pieces was performed by Krohn and Adrian DW. Krohn's approach is much softer than either Whelan and Maria K's.

On Sat. evening I saw Porte/Soupir. This ballet is really not my cup of tea, but I'm willing to sit through it about once per decade. Maria's movements to the recorded door creaking elicited laughter. Was that what Balanchine intended?

Just an update on the "Society NYCB" (formerly the Fourth Ring Society)--I was able to get $17 tickets to all the performances of Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2 (which I much enjoyed), however the Swan Lake program was not available, the man at the box office said all of last week was not available (not sure what the draw was there), and Sleeping Beauty is not available (I presume).

Sara Mearns just sent this on Twitter. Looks like she'll be out for the rest of the week:

sara mearns@nycbstar2b

Foot is feeling so much better. Put the pointe shoe on and it didnt reject it! Taking the rest of week to strength it.

Bouder tweets that she is dancing the 4th Movoement in Western Symphony on Sat and Sun matinees. (Replacing Mearns on Sat matinee and Reichlin on Sun matinee). (Could this mean that Reichlin will be given 2nd movement in Symphony in C?! )

Right. NYCB never cancels due to snow. I already exchanged my tixs for tonight and Sat afternoon. I kept my Sun afternoon tix in the hope that things will be sufficiently improved by then for me to get to the show. Bouder in the 4th mvmt. of Western, plus Reichlin in 2nd mvmt in Sym in C is must see viewing. (Casting updated for the remainder of this week, as well as final week of SB, available on line.)

What's going to happen on Sat. with a major snow blizzard 12" to 20" of snow forecasted in NYC?

A few years ago (2006), New York City received a record snowfall that began on Saturday, February 11th, and continued into the morning of February 12th--26.9 inches was measured in Central Park.. That Sunday, I went in with my wife and in-laws to see an NYCB matinee. The show went on, though they had to swap out one of the scheduled dances that required a cast of children who were unable to get to Lincoln Center. We set in the Fourth Ring, as always, with perhaps a couple dozen others. Even the orchestra section was nearly empty.

They will only cancel if the dancers (or perhaps the orchestra) can't make it.

Absolutely stunning performance last night by Maria Kowroski in the adagio movement of Symphony in C. The entire program was terrific, except for one soloist in Symphony in Three Movements who needs some extensive work on holding her upper body. But Maria is in a class by herself. I can't help wondering why she hasn't made an international career, as she is obviously capable of dancing the classics and, IMHO, would have an international appeal. Perhaps she is loyal to her Balanchine roots--perhaps she feels protected from the international intrigues that go on when ballet dancers are playing "musical ballet companies," with someone always getting short shrift when the music stops. Anyway, if you can catch Maria in Symphony in C at the Saturday matinee, you're in for a treat.

That's how I feel too, mussel. I exchanged my ticket in anticipation of bad weather, but if the forecasts turn out to be overblown I'll just buy a tix right before showtime. (Why can't the blizzard come when there is an All Martins program?wallbash.gif )

Theater was maybe 70% for Friday night's performance, which seems better than one would expect, given the circumstances.

Naturally, Tiler and Sterling were stunners in the new Peck, and quite a strong performance from the corps in Symphony in C—they seemed completely energized.