2 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Reviews of Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo.

The New York Observer

The hardest thing for the Trocks to get right is the balance between authenticity and jokiness. Swan Lake seems too jokey today; Laurencia not jokey enough. The older repertory involves many too many pratfalls, many too many ballerinas knocking each other over, much too much spotlight hogging. The foibles of the old Ballets Russes aren’t relevant any more; the real nonsense of dance today is the pretentiousness of the concept-obsessed avant-garde. But this is a ballet company, comfortable in its après-garde genre and superb at what it does. And its best jokes are as good as ever. When Ida Nevasayneva (Paul Ghiselin) bourrées out from the wings as The Dying Swan, not just dying but seriously molting, it’s ridiculous, it’s hammy, we’ve seen it again and again—and it’s very, very funny.

The FInancial Times

The new treasure in the Trockadero chest does not offer the usual bounty of ballerina parts. Since the virile Vakhtang Chabukiani choreographed and starred in this 1939 ballet about a proto-proletarian revolt in Spain, Laurencia has served as a vehicle for muscle-bound heroics, a type notably absent from the Trock roster. Its introduction could arguably open up whole new vistas of parody, but only if the Trocks are willing to bend Laurencia to their purposes. Currently they are playing it way too straight.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

The tennis player Milos Raonic takes a ballet lesson.

Milos Raonic is seeded no.2 in the Brisbane International 2013 and is patiently waiting to see who he will play in his first match - American Brian Baker or Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Danielle Rowe talks about leaving ballet to join Nederlands Dans Theater.

Yet she was ready, she says from The Hague, to make another change.

''I practically had my tutu glued to my hips and my pointe shoes glued to my feet in Houston. I felt really fulfilled there, after a season and a half, and I felt I wanted to try something completely different - to work in a different way, approach my dancing from another place,'' she says.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):