This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Saturday, December 29

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

A New York Times slide show of photographs of NYCB by Henry Leutwyler.

After moving to New York in 1996 Mr. Leutwyler continued to take celebrity portraits but found a way back to dance when New York City Ballet hired him to document repertory pieces. One assignment turned into several more, and eventually he won permission to take pictures backstage, in class and rehearsal.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

An interview with Tamara Rojo.

I get on well with men. I tend to know where I stand. I have more male friends than female friends, and I know that's unpopular. I'm not willing to share emotion and that's something that makes female friendships. I share emotional problems with two women, no more.

Women only have to sacrifice more than men because we have more options. One option is to be a mother, which a man doesn't have. If I chose not to have children, that's not a sacrifice, it's a choice. But being a mother has this weight so if you choose not to, you are seen to be giving up something enormous.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

A review of the Royal Ballet by Luke Jennings in The Observer.

Itziar Mendizabal is the magical bird captured and finally released by Ivan Tsarevich (Bennet Gartside) and Tara Bhavnani is the Beautiful Tsarevna whom Ivan marries when the Firebird helps him defeat the evil Kostcheï (Gary Avis). Mendizabal isn't the easiest of dancers to warm to, but here the sharpness of her dancing strikes real sparks. Held captive by Gartside, who manipulates her with wondering, naive delight, she radiates cold fury and inhuman otherness. This is no melting swan but a creature of untamable wildness. Every manic stare, every quivering bourée expresses her affront.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Aspen Santa Fe Ballet receives a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.

The ballet company is one of 832 nonprofit organizations nationwide — but one of only three dance groups in Colorado — to receive an NEA Art Works grant, according to a press release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):