This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Polunin, Bruce Weber & Dior homme

I didn't know where to post this link – a lot seems to have changed since the Marketing Dancers thread was started and I couldn't find a general Polunin heading.

This Dior ad is by Bruce Weber and is set on Sergei Polunin. It features an odd combination of Leonard Bernstein, Glenn Gould, Toscanini, Nijinsky, and some icily handsome young musicians.

Bruce Weber is a fine still photography but I don't know if all the riches he sets together here add up to a film – or a record of the dancer's art.

It was mentioned in the Guardian article dirac cited in today's links:

http://www.guardian....yal-ballet-star

Bruce Weber is a fine still photography but I don't know if all the riches he sets together here add up to a film – or a record of the dancer's art.

A truly odd mish-mash - not sure how the Glenn Gould part relates to the more obvious Dior ad. The tempo of camerawork and editing is mostly too fast for my taste. The images washing back and forth across one another doesn't really convey much in this case. But that's just my take.

During the beginning sequence especially, I kept thinking of Kenneth Anger's "Fireworks".

(A great, though 'controversial', little avant-garde film - look for it on YouTube)