• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#61 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

In Canada the Cineplex chain shows the Bolshoi the same day but with a time delay of several hours, so everyone sees the performance at 1 pm local time, regardless of time zone. (There were a few times when the Bolshoi forgot to turn on the geo-block on its live YouTube stream intended for Russia, and I would end up watching the performance twice. Now that the company has moved to paid cinema screenings in Russia as well, that's not likely to happen again.) The Royal Ballet is also shown the same day with a time delay, and since these performances take place on weeknights, the screenings take place at 7 pm local time. The same is true of National Theatre "Live." It's not a bad compromise, but perhaps it's easier to pull off in a multiplex.

I agree that it's better than nothing, and I definitely believe it's an enterprise worth supporting. I would be crushed if the screenings, whatever their flaws, stopped for lack of interest.

#62 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

According to the Mariinsky's website the Mariinsky II Opening Gala will be televised in Russia and available for viewing online.....

#63 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

There is now a listing of participating North American cinemas. In Canada Swan Lake will be shown in 3D, but apparently not live. Most U.S. locations will show the 2D version. No dates or times available yet. Grouping the screenings by movie chain rather than location does not make the list very easy to use.
http://www.mariinsky...ickets_americas

It's probably easier to use the search function.
http://www.mariinsky...d-download.html

#64 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

What is 2D? Is that just regular (non-3D)? I really don't know what it is.

#65 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Yes, it would be the ordinary kind of film. No glasses required.

#66 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

You can now find the venues in the US for this event on the Fathom Events website. In New York City, it is being shown on 6:30 PM on June 6, 2013. There are two venues showing it in Manhattan (AMC Empire 25 and Union Square 14th Street). It seems like both of these venues are showing this in a regular 2D format, not in 3D.

http://www.fathomeve...com/#!swan-lake

Looking forward to this, and I hope Big Red is in fact the ballerina we end up seeing in this film. By the way, maybe the moderators should change the title of this thread to reflect the new date of June 6.

#67 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the info!

What is interesting is that the two movie theaters near me have had 3D films in the past, but are doing this in 2D. I really don't care about the 3D aspect anyway, so that is fine. It is just weird that it is being touted as a special 3D event but so far many theaters are not showing it in 3D! LOL

#68 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

This is being billed as the "first ever global 3D live theatre event," but so far the live 3D is limited to parts of Europe.

#69 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

We have more casting:

Kondaurova as Odette-Odile, Timur Askerov (rather than the trailer's Ivanchenko) as Prince Siegfried, Andrei Yermakov as Rothbart, Maria Shirinkina, Nadezhda Batoeva and Xander Parish in the pas de trois and Vasily Tkachenko as the Jester. The same cast will also be performing the afternoon before, and presumably this performance will also be filmed as a backup.

http://www.mariinsky...013/6/6/1_2130/

9:30 is a late start time for a show that runs 3 hours, but that's what you get when you're aiming primarily for audiences in Central European Summer Time on a weeknight.

#70 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I know nothing about Timur Askerov. Is he a good choice for this?

#71 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the info. I know nothing about Timur Askerov. Is he a good choice for this?

Dunno, but assume anyone is better than Ivanchenko (yawn)

#72 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Barring natural or other disaster I will miss the live broadcast because I will be in the Mariinsky theater for the first time in my life (well, the third time that week if plans pan out)--of course I have profound, not to say religious respect for the possibility of disaster, so...Still, call me very excited and grateful at the possibility of seeing everyone who has been announced. Oddly enough reports on Askerov have actually been pretty good and yes, I'm inclined to think almost anyone would be better than Ivanchenko...

#73 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

apologies--please delete

#74 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Have fun, Drew, at the Mariinsky.

#75 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think I would prefer Ivanchenko over Askerov. Ivanchenko may not be exciting, but he is reliable, in my opinion. I have not been that impressed with Askerov.

The rest of the cast should be fine. Batoeva is an up and comer to really watch! She is great!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):