• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#46 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

3D ballet performances in the cinema are unnecessary. IMO 3D would distort line and choreography. It would be
just as irritating as cutting dancers off at the waist. For what it's worth, Maestro Gergiev believes in staying ahead of the curve, and by allowing "Nutcracker" last year, and now the company's signature work to be presented in 3D, he thinks he's doing just that. On the contrary, it's not a good idea. The roving cameras in the 2011 dvd of "Nutcracker," (which was also 3D in movie theatres), their "Jewels" dvd and the 2006 "Swan Lake" dvd, (the latter two with Lopatkina at the helm), weren't good ideas either. The fact is that the Mariinsky Ballet is woefully behind the competition when it comes to online performances, and the live global simulcasts that Ballet in Cinema offers.
If Gergiev really wants to build a wider audience for his Mariinsky Ballet he needs to get cameras in the Theatre
tout de suite. Hopefully, with M2 opening in 17 days this may be a possibility. Finally, Katya Kondaurova doesn't need 3D to get her 'pointe' over; and Gergiev doesn't need it during extended shots from the podium.

#47 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Ardani represents a lot of dancers from many different companies all over the world. This hardly seems a vast conspiracy theory at ABT. What of the new dancer swap program they have instituted? Is this an Ardani plot too?

Just out of curiosity, would you please name any non-Russian dancers that are being represented by Ardani? Thanks!

#48 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

I looked on their website ardani.com and they represented Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo on their North American tour in 2012.

#49 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

Isn't that Anastasia Kolegova in the commercial, walking through the Hermitage & up the staircase, wearing a pink tutu? 'Big Red' Kondaurova and (bored-looking) Ivanchenko are then seen performing bits of the Black Swan adagio outdoors.

I agree with Cygnet: 3-D is absolutely unnecessary for a ballet film and may even decrease -- not increase -- the level of enjoyment. Kill the gimmicks. How much more fun can it be to see Kondaurova's leg jut-out and almost "stab" the viewer during a developpe?

#50 amiaow

amiaow

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'd welcome the opportunity to see a ballet in 3D. If you have seen a 3D movie recently it is nothing like the 3D of old, but looks very natural, just like you'd see if you were walking down the street with your own two eyes. I think it may really add something to the ballet experience when it comes to films of performances.

#51 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'd welcome any chance to see Kondaurova do SL, even if it is in 3D.

#52 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'd welcome the opportunity to see a ballet in 3D. If you have seen a 3D movie recently it is nothing like the 3D of old, but looks very natural, just like you'd see if you were walking down the street with your own two eyes. I think it may really add something to the ballet experience when it comes to films of performances.

That's what I sort of said above about The Hobbit. I was surprised when I went to the Hobbit (a recent 3D movie). It was very, very different than cheesy 3D of the past where knives or broomsticks stick you in the eye. Nothing stuck you in the eye or came right at you. Like you say, it was more like you are there in person sort of....not quite but as close to being in the movie as you can be.....like you are one of the actors observing.

I still think it is a gimmick though for ballet, but I will still go see it to try it out. I will try to keep an open mind.

#53 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

I just found this site that enables you to search for where the Swan Lake in 3D will play near you. It also enables you to sign up for notifications and updates.

http://www.mariinsky....com/index.html

#54 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

From the write up on that site it sounds like it is going to be "live".....I think we assumed it was taped and would be shown with "live" meaning they captured it on film live. But the write up below makes it sound like it will actually be a live performance transmitted.
Bart

On Thursday June 6 2013 , one month after the opening of Mariinsky 2 in St Petersburg, a unique event will take place.

A special performance of Swan Lake - celebrating the beginning of Russian ballet 275 years ago in the Winter Palace. The performance will be filmed in 3D and simultaneously in 2D and transmitted to more than 50 countries around the world. This will be the first 3D Live transmission of ballet from a historic theatre to a world audience. Cameron Pace Group, the company of James Cameron and Vince Pace, will produce the 3D using the same Oscar-winning technology as Avatar and Life of Pi. In St Petersburg itself the event will be truly exciting. Swan Lake 3D Live will be filmed in the Mariinsky Theatre and simultaneously relayed to a screen in the new state of art auditorium - Mariinsky 2. It's the perfect marriage of art and technology : the best ballet company in the world and the world's most advanced 3D technology.

#55 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:46 AM

I just found this site that enables you to search for where the Swan Lake in 3D will play near you. It also enables you to sign up for notifications and updates.

I'm not able to find out where this is playing anywhere in the US.

#56 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

I'm not able to find out where this is playing anywhere in the US.

I couldn't either. My guess is that they have not finalized anything with US theaters......it seems the Mariinsky is flying by the seat of its pants this season.....maybe biting off more than the administration could chew.....they announced this as a Feb. 14 show and now a June 6 show but no info about where it is playing.....they still have not announced the entire White Nights Festival and it starts in less than a month, etc. I think the Mariinsky II opening is consuming all their thoughts and energies right now.

We'll wait and see if this actually happens!!!

#57 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:59 AM

I'm glad that this Swan Lake will materialize in some form, eventually. If they do with this as was done with the Giselle 3-D event a couple of years ago, then the USA may be seeing this in late-winter/spring 2014.

To me, the real shame is that the Mariinsky missed the marketing boat on the Gala Opening of the Mariinsky II, which could have been shown live-in-cinemas, as with the reopening of the Bolshoi in November 2011. I'm surprised that Gergiev didn't push for this.

#58 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'm glad that this Swan Lake will materialize in some form, eventually. If they do with this as was done with the Giselle 3-D event a couple of years ago, then the USA may be seeing this in late-winter/spring 2014.

To me, the real shame is that the Mariinsky missed the marketing boat on the Gala Opening of the Mariinsky II, which could have been shown live-in-cinemas, as with the reopening of the Bolshoi in November 2011. I'm surprised that Gergiev didn't push for this.

I agree. I think lots of us would be interested in seeing the Mariinsky II gala and see how it looks and sounds during a performance (although a transmission would not really give a real idea of the acoustics)....still I suspect there is a lot of curiosity. So it does seem like a missed opportunity. For some reason Gergiev seems determined to do ballet in 3D instead of live transmissions.

I have read articles that said the live transmissions of the Met's operas are a much bigger draw for people than pre-taped European opera performances from Emerging Pictures. People want to see things "live" as they are happening if possible. So it is strange that the Mariinsky does not do live transmissions the way the Bolshoi does. Instead it keeps trying to do 3D which no one really cares about.

#59 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Actually, this season even the US broadcasts of the Emerging Pictures ballet series have not been live. They have been a week or two after the actual performances. The difficult 11 AM broadcasts on Sundays in New York made sense when it was being broadcast live to the movie theaters. That time slot makes no sense otherwise. Obviously, they are using it as a filler for a time when the theater would otherwise be unoccupied. I've stopped going in part because getting out of bed super early on a Sunday morning (add 45 minute commute time just to get to the venue for me) is not appealing. I have also stopped going because it is a tiny theater, but the theater nevertheless blocks off several rows of prme seating as "Reserved" for press.

#60 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Actually, this season even the US broadcasts of the Emerging Pictures ballet series have not been live. They have been a week or two after the actual performances. The difficult 11 AM broadcasts on Sundays in New York made sense when it was being broadcast live to the movie theaters. That time slot makes no sense otherwise. Obviously, they are using it as a filler for a time when the theater would otherwise be unoccupied. I've stopped going in part because getting out of bed super early on a Sunday morning (add 45 minute commute time just to get to the venue for me) is not appealing. I have also stopped going because it is a tiny theater, but the theater nevertheless blocks off several rows of prme seating as "Reserved" for press.

I think the ballets are starting to take after the operas. When Emerging Pictures first came about I believe the operas were mostly pre-taped showings from the beginning (at least that's what I remember), and that's what I meant. I think they did a few opera live, but most were pre-taped. I read that the Met's Live in HD were doing very well while Emerging Pictures operas were not doing as well b/c they were pre-taped, and they were pre-taped due to the time difference. Most people in the U.S. would be at work when they are transmitted live. So Emerging Pictures has no choice but to pre-tape and show at another time here in the U.S. in order to get more than 2 people to attend. For some reason the ballets were usually live but I guess they are realizing that it is hard to get an audience here for the same reason, so it looks like they are going to pre-tape most ballets now too.

I think pre-taped performances are better than nothing, but I do think the excitement of seeing something live as it is actually happening is a big draw for a lot of people, and it is too bad Russia can't just start their ballets at 3am! LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):