This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Live 3D Cine-cast of Swan Lake, June 6

I'd welcome the opportunity to see a ballet in 3D. If you have seen a 3D movie recently it is nothing like the 3D of old, but looks very natural, just like you'd see if you were walking down the street with your own two eyes. I think it may really add something to the ballet experience when it comes to films of performances.

That's what I sort of said above about The Hobbit. I was surprised when I went to the Hobbit (a recent 3D movie). It was very, very different than cheesy 3D of the past where knives or broomsticks stick you in the eye. Nothing stuck you in the eye or came right at you. Like you say, it was more like you are there in person sort of....not quite but as close to being in the movie as you can be.....like you are one of the actors observing.

I still think it is a gimmick though for ballet, but I will still go see it to try it out. I will try to keep an open mind.

From the write up on that site it sounds like it is going to be "live".....I think we assumed it was taped and would be shown with "live" meaning they captured it on film live. But the write up below makes it sound like it will actually be a live performance transmitted.

Bart

On Thursday June 6 2013 , one month after the opening of Mariinsky 2 in St Petersburg, a unique event will take place.

A special performance of Swan Lake - celebrating the beginning of Russian ballet 275 years ago in the Winter Palace. The performance will be filmed in 3D and simultaneously in 2D and transmitted to more than 50 countries around the world. This will be the first 3D Live transmission of ballet from a historic theatre to a world audience. Cameron Pace Group, the company of James Cameron and Vince Pace, will produce the 3D using the same Oscar-winning technology as Avatar and Life of Pi. In St Petersburg itself the event will be truly exciting. Swan Lake 3D Live will be filmed in the Mariinsky Theatre and simultaneously relayed to a screen in the new state of art auditorium - Mariinsky 2. It's the perfect marriage of art and technology : the best ballet company in the world and the world's most advanced 3D technology.

I just found this site that enables you to search for where the Swan Lake in 3D will play near you. It also enables you to sign up for notifications and updates.

http://www.mariinsky....com/index.html

I'm not able to find out where this is playing anywhere in the US.

I couldn't either. My guess is that they have not finalized anything with US theaters......it seems the Mariinsky is flying by the seat of its pants this season.....maybe biting off more than the administration could chew.....they announced this as a Feb. 14 show and now a June 6 show but no info about where it is playing.....they still have not announced the entire White Nights Festival and it starts in less than a month, etc. I think the Mariinsky II opening is consuming all their thoughts and energies right now.

We'll wait and see if this actually happens!!!

I'm glad that this Swan Lake will materialize in some form, eventually. If they do with this as was done with the Giselle 3-D event a couple of years ago, then the USA may be seeing this in late-winter/spring 2014.

To me, the real shame is that the Mariinsky missed the marketing boat on the Gala Opening of the Mariinsky II, which could have been shown live-in-cinemas, as with the reopening of the Bolshoi in November 2011. I'm surprised that Gergiev didn't push for this.

I'm glad that this Swan Lake will materialize in some form, eventually. If they do with this as was done with the Giselle 3-D event a couple of years ago, then the USA may be seeing this in late-winter/spring 2014.

To me, the real shame is that the Mariinsky missed the marketing boat on the Gala Opening of the Mariinsky II, which could have been shown live-in-cinemas, as with the reopening of the Bolshoi in November 2011. I'm surprised that Gergiev didn't push for this.

I agree. I think lots of us would be interested in seeing the Mariinsky II gala and see how it looks and sounds during a performance (although a transmission would not really give a real idea of the acoustics)....still I suspect there is a lot of curiosity. So it does seem like a missed opportunity. For some reason Gergiev seems determined to do ballet in 3D instead of live transmissions.

I have read articles that said the live transmissions of the Met's operas are a much bigger draw for people than pre-taped European opera performances from Emerging Pictures. People want to see things "live" as they are happening if possible. So it is strange that the Mariinsky does not do live transmissions the way the Bolshoi does. Instead it keeps trying to do 3D which no one really cares about.

Actually, this season even the US broadcasts of the Emerging Pictures ballet series have not been live. They have been a week or two after the actual performances. The difficult 11 AM broadcasts on Sundays in New York made sense when it was being broadcast live to the movie theaters. That time slot makes no sense otherwise. Obviously, they are using it as a filler for a time when the theater would otherwise be unoccupied. I've stopped going in part because getting out of bed super early on a Sunday morning (add 45 minute commute time just to get to the venue for me) is not appealing. I have also stopped going because it is a tiny theater, but the theater nevertheless blocks off several rows of prme seating as "Reserved" for press.

Actually, this season even the US broadcasts of the Emerging Pictures ballet series have not been live. They have been a week or two after the actual performances. The difficult 11 AM broadcasts on Sundays in New York made sense when it was being broadcast live to the movie theaters. That time slot makes no sense otherwise. Obviously, they are using it as a filler for a time when the theater would otherwise be unoccupied. I've stopped going in part because getting out of bed super early on a Sunday morning (add 45 minute commute time just to get to the venue for me) is not appealing. I have also stopped going because it is a tiny theater, but the theater nevertheless blocks off several rows of prme seating as "Reserved" for press.

I think the ballets are starting to take after the operas. When Emerging Pictures first came about I believe the operas were mostly pre-taped showings from the beginning (at least that's what I remember), and that's what I meant. I think they did a few opera live, but most were pre-taped. I read that the Met's Live in HD were doing very well while Emerging Pictures operas were not doing as well b/c they were pre-taped, and they were pre-taped due to the time difference. Most people in the U.S. would be at work when they are transmitted live. So Emerging Pictures has no choice but to pre-tape and show at another time here in the U.S. in order to get more than 2 people to attend. For some reason the ballets were usually live but I guess they are realizing that it is hard to get an audience here for the same reason, so it looks like they are going to pre-tape most ballets now too.

I think pre-taped performances are better than nothing, but I do think the excitement of seeing something live as it is actually happening is a big draw for a lot of people, and it is too bad Russia can't just start their ballets at 3am! LOL

In Canada the Cineplex chain shows the Bolshoi the same day but with a time delay of several hours, so everyone sees the performance at 1 pm local time, regardless of time zone. (There were a few times when the Bolshoi forgot to turn on the geo-block on its live YouTube stream intended for Russia, and I would end up watching the performance twice. Now that the company has moved to paid cinema screenings in Russia as well, that's not likely to happen again.) The Royal Ballet is also shown the same day with a time delay, and since these performances take place on weeknights, the screenings take place at 7 pm local time. The same is true of National Theatre "Live." It's not a bad compromise, but perhaps it's easier to pull off in a multiplex.

I agree that it's better than nothing, and I definitely believe it's an enterprise worth supporting. I would be crushed if the screenings, whatever their flaws, stopped for lack of interest.

There is now a listing of participating North American cinemas. In Canada Swan Lake will be shown in 3D, but apparently not live. Most U.S. locations will show the 2D version. No dates or times available yet. Grouping the screenings by movie chain rather than location does not make the list very easy to use.

http://www.mariinsky...ickets_americas

It's probably easier to use the search function.

http://www.mariinsky...d-download.html

You can now find the venues in the US for this event on the Fathom Events website. In New York City, it is being shown on 6:30 PM on June 6, 2013. There are two venues showing it in Manhattan (AMC Empire 25 and Union Square 14th Street). It seems like both of these venues are showing this in a regular 2D format, not in 3D.

http://www.fathomeve...com/#!swan-lake

Looking forward to this, and I hope Big Red is in fact the ballerina we end up seeing in this film. By the way, maybe the moderators should change the title of this thread to reflect the new date of June 6.

Thanks for the info!

What is interesting is that the two movie theaters near me have had 3D films in the past, but are doing this in 2D. I really don't care about the 3D aspect anyway, so that is fine. It is just weird that it is being touted as a special 3D event but so far many theaters are not showing it in 3D! LOL

We have more casting:

Kondaurova as Odette-Odile, Timur Askerov (rather than the trailer's Ivanchenko) as Prince Siegfried, Andrei Yermakov as Rothbart, Maria Shirinkina, Nadezhda Batoeva and Xander Parish in the pas de trois and Vasily Tkachenko as the Jester. The same cast will also be performing the afternoon before, and presumably this performance will also be filmed as a backup.

http://www.mariinsky...013/6/6/1_2130/

9:30 is a late start time for a show that runs 3 hours, but that's what you get when you're aiming primarily for audiences in Central European Summer Time on a weeknight.

Barring natural or other disaster I will miss the live broadcast because I will be in the Mariinsky theater for the first time in my life (well, the third time that week if plans pan out)--of course I have profound, not to say religious respect for the possibility of disaster, so...Still, call me very excited and grateful at the possibility of seeing everyone who has been announced. Oddly enough reports on Askerov have actually been pretty good and yes, I'm inclined to think almost anyone would be better than Ivanchenko...

I think I would prefer Ivanchenko over Askerov. Ivanchenko may not be exciting, but he is reliable, in my opinion. I have not been that impressed with Askerov.

The rest of the cast should be fine. Batoeva is an up and comer to really watch! She is great!!!