This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Live 3D Cine-cast of Swan Lake, June 6

You are right it is not listed on the website, so maybe it will be a recording like the recent Nutcracker. The article you provided also says the new theatre will not open until May. At first I thought maybe this will be performed in the new theatre, but apparently not. In fact, the opera Elektra is scheduled on the main stage on that date. So the reporter must have misunderstood. It must be pre-recorded.

http://www.nytimes.c...y.html?ref=arts

There are lots of interesting tid bits in this Reuters article, including the fact that James Cameron is teaming up with the Mariinsky to do a live 3-D broadcast of Swan Lake on Valentine's Day.

I find this a bit confusing. As far as I can tell, the Mariinsky is not performing Swan Lake on Feb 14, so how could this be a live broadcast?

December 20th is the date used in this Aussie ad (with video clip):

http://villagecinemas.com.au/Movies/Mariinsky-Theatres-The-Nutcracker-3D.htm

We will be 'treated' to Alina Somova, and Vladimir Shkliarov.

You are referring to the Nutcracker. Gergiev is talking about a Swan Lake that will be filmed.

SL was filmed in HD for DVD release not so long ago, starring Lopatkina and Korsuntsev. It's a bit odd that the same ballet would be filmed for commercial release so soon after the previous release. Nonetheless, they may be hoping to tap into the newer 3-D market and think that it's worth the investment. Also, I am guessing that the MT is itching to showcase a new Odette-Odile.

You may be onto something, abatt. Wasn't there supposed to be a filming/broadcast of Lavrovsky's Romeo & Juliet last July, starring Vishneva and conducted by Gergiev, cancelled at the last minute (although on-stage performances went on, with Shirinkina or someone else as Juliet and with a lesser-known conductor).

I just saw the MT's February schedule and see that Vishneva/Schklyarov/Gergiev (the 'team' for the originally-announced R&J filming last summer) are now on for R&J on Feb 24 & 28....but only the opera Elektra (conducted by Gergiev) is happening on Feb 14. (Swan Lake is scheduled on Feb 6, 10 & 23...but no Gergiev announced, as usually happens when he conducts.)

http://www.mariinsky...ar=2013&month=2

So, even with this latest info & the press release, we don't really know for sure about a new SLake filming, do we? Maybe a previously-filmed performance -- the Lopatkina HD film -- has been remastered in 3D, similar to the recent re-mastering of TITANIC? Nothing new, except for applying 3-D to the existing HD film, in other words. So folks will dole-out $20 to see a film that may already be on their library shelves, except that it's now in 3-D?

This brings to mind the quote from circus showman PT Barnum: There's a sucker born every minute. At least die-hard ballet fans won't fall for that, if that's the case.

p.s. The press release is not official from the Mariinsky, as it came from a group of donors. Nonetheless, any & all clues are appreciated. :)

... It's time there were some new Odette-Odiles ....

Agree about Stepanova and others who've been waiting a while for O/O debuts. Did Vasnetsova ever debut as O/O? I know that she had been training the role(s) for a while but may have even been scheduled but not performed.

Alas, if there is to be a new 3D Swan Lake filmed, O/O will likely go to a member of Fateev's Unholy Triumvirate: Somova-Skorik-Kampa (the 3 ODD-alisques).

... It's time there were some new Odette-Odiles ....

Agree about Stepanova and others who've been waiting a while for O/O debuts. Did Vasnetsova ever debut as O/O? I know that she had been training the role(s) for a while but may have even been scheduled but not performed.

Alas, if there is to be a new 3D Swan Lake filmed, O/O will likely go to a member of Fateev's Unholy Triumvirate: Somova-Skorik-Kampa.

Yes, Vasnetsova danced one full length Swan Lake in, I think, autumn 2009, and one Corsaire in early 2010, but apart from those she has really been woefully underused. As has already been said, she is an absolute beauty, both physically and facially and technically a wonderful ballerina. Her adagio work is superb and she also has outstanding arms - her beautiful arms as Clemence in Raymonda recently were a real reminder of what a great Odette she is and also she is such a great actress. Really her Phrygia was just heart rending, especially in her mourning over the dead body of Spartacus, and she was also a very moving Maria in Fountain of Bakhchisarai. I can't understand at all why she is still only a coryphee. It would certainly be wonderful if she could do the 3D Swan Lake, if it ever materializes, but with Fateyev's dreadful and unfair casting, this seems very unlikely.

Having seen Osmolkina dance O/O at Covent Garden, I really feel her uniquely soulful and deeply moving interpretation of the role should be available to eveyone but I fear Natalia's gloomy casting prediction will prove correct.

I hate gloomy and would much prefer Osmolkina (or anyone but the 3 Odd-alisques). Hey, I see that Osmolkina has just been announced as Odette-Odile for one of the Swan Lakes at the MT,later this month...Lopatkina does the first & Osmolkina the 2nd. So maybe bright days are forthcoming?

More great news, in Moscow: Obraztsova debuts as Nikiya in Bayadere on the 30th, at the Bolshoi! She is also preparing to debut as the lead in Balanchine's Diamonds, later this winter (no date yet)...I'll also post this in the Obraztsova thread, if not already there. Woohoo!!!

http://www.evgeniaob...a.com/news.html

More great news, in Moscow: Obraztsova debuts as Nikiya in Bayadere on the 30th, at the Bolshoi! She is also preparing to debut as the lead in Balanchine's Diamonds, later this winter (no date yet)...I'll also post this in the Obraztsova thread, if not already there. Woohoo!!!

Oh thankyou, thankyou for this bit of news! She is my current favorite of all the still working ballerinas and I am on pins and needles to see/hear about her debuts as Nikiya.

Having seen Osmolkina dance O/O at Covent Garden, I really feel her uniquely soulful and deeply moving interpretation of the role should be available to eveyone but I fear Natalia's gloomy casting prediction will prove correct.

I hate gloomy and would much prefer Osmolkina (or anyone but the 3 Odd-alisques). Hey, I see that Osmolkina has just been announced as Odette-Odile for one of the Swan Lakes at the MT,later this month...Lopatkina does the first & Osmolkina the 2nd. So maybe bright days are forthcoming?

Katya Osmolkina's upcoming O/O will be her first follow-up performance in her home theatre with her home company since her debut several years ago. Her second and third performances of O/O were given with the Royal at Covent Garden after her home debut. I don't believe she's outsourced the role elsewhere. So, if this casting holds, this is tremendous news for her because know this: If things were "normal" in the company right now, she and many other deserving ladies, wouldn't be getting these opportunities. At this point Fateev must feel that he doesn't have a choice but to cast these women, *(against his "better" judgement). Isn't that ironic? The fact is he has always had a treasure trove of talented and gifted -but criminally under-utilized dancers to choose from.

I too am totally ecstatic about Obraztsova's upcoming and long overdue Nikiya and Diamonds debuts

with the Bolshoiyahoo.gif! Her Solor will be fellow refugee Mikhail Lobhukin, who also couldn't promote to Principal in

Gergiev's House of Blues. During Makhar Vaziev's and the current Regime, Evgenia was consigned to the Danse Manu in Act 2 and the first Shade variation in Act 3 of "Bayadere." Apart from her officially approved emploi of roles such as Aurora, "Romeo & Juliet," "Nutcracker," "Giselle," "La Sylphide," countless dolls, obscure pdds from obsure Petipa works, supporting cast Balanchines, the occaisional Kitri, Forsythe, Ballerina in "Petrouchka," Ratmansky's "Cinderella," and other quaint vignettes, Obraztsova was systematically denied Nikiya, O/O, Raymonda, Medora and the lead in all three segments of "Jewels."

Katya Osmolkina's upcoming O/O will be her first follow-up performance in her home theatre with her home company since her debut several years ago. Her second and third performances of O/O were given with the Royal at Covent Garden after her home debut. I don't believe she's outsourced the role elsewhere. So, if this casting holds, this is tremendous news for her because know this: If things were "normal" in the company right now, she and many other deserving ladies, wouldn't be getting these opportunities. At this point Fateev must feel that he doesn't have a choice but to cast these women, *(against his "better" judgement). Isn't that ironic? The fact is he has always had a treasure trove of talented and gifted -but criminally under-utilized dancers to choose from.

I too am totally ecstatic about Obraztsova's upcoming and long overdue Nikiya and Diamonds debuts

with the Bolshoiyahoo.gif! Her Solor will be fellow refugee Mikhail Lobhukin, who also couldn't promote to Principal in

Gergiev's House of Blues. During Makhar Vaziev's and the current Regime, Evgenia was consigned to the Danse Manu in Act 2 and the first Shade variation in Act 3 of "Bayadere." Apart from her officially approved emploi of roles such as Aurora, "Romeo & Juliet," "Nutcracker," "Giselle," "La Sylphide," countless dolls, obscure pdds from obsure Petipa works, supporting cast Balanchines, the occaisional Kitri, Forsythe, Ballerina in "Petrouchka," Ratmansky's "Cinderella," and other quaint vignettes, Obraztsova was systematically denied Nikiya, O/O, Raymonda, Medora and the lead in all three segments of "Jewels."

Yes, you hit the nail on the head - Fateyev has a secret treasure trove or a real Aladdin's Cave full of wonderful ballerinas and he just needs to let them out of their dingy corps dressing rooms and give them a chance to dance. In a normal world many of them would be stars already and he would have no need to bring in foreign ballerinas, or over-use the favoured few, or to seek sponsorship to boost the Mariinsky coffers: he has all this wonderful depth of talent within his company and why doesn't he have the vision and intelligence to be able to use it correctly? It really is time for a change in Mariinsky management.

So, being a commercial film, how does one find a movie theater showing it? Or is it being live-streamed and you have to see it on the computer? I checked Emerging Pictures and my two local theaters that show such events and nothing. I also googled it but no info as to a list of movie houses that will show it on Feb 14 (or will it have a loner run....?) Thanks for any addl info.

So, being a commercial film, how does one find a movie theater showing it? Or is it being live-streamed and you have to see it on the computer? I checked Emerging Pictures and my two local theaters that show such events and nothing. I also googled it but no info as to a list of movie houses that will show it on Feb 14 (or will it have a loner run....?) Thanks for any addl info.

MovieTickets.com has it listed, but putting in my zip code returned a commercial for M&Ms, in Spanishdunno.gif

But at least they seem to know it exists, even if there's no specific information yet.

Edited to add: Sorry, just realized the link is for my zip code, which refuses to go away. I was trying to post the general Movie.com site. Be sure to change the zip to your own.

Oh thankyou, thankyou for this bit of news! She is my current favorite of all the still working ballerinas and I am on pins and needles to see/hear about her debuts as Nikiya.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but there's a youtube video of her preparing for La Bayadere. She looks great!

I couldn't find any theaters in the Greater DC and Baltimore metropolitan area. Even the Worldgate in Reston, VA, which seems to show everything from Emerging Pictures, doesn't have this.

Then I Googled this series of phrases together: "Emerging Pictures" and "Swan Lake" and "Mariinsky" and....all of the links indicate theaters West of the Mississippi River (Denver, Phoenix, L.A.). Also, they all indicate that the film stars Lopatkina and Korsuntsev. For example, for Phoenix:

http://www.phoenixne...heatre-1267914/

I sure hope that it will indeed be Kondaurova as Odette-Odile. (Waelsung, what is the provenance of the ad? Did it come from a US-based site? Other country?) Well, the above advert would not be totally wrong, as Kondaurova was a demi-soloist among the Six Fiancees in the Lopatkina 2006 film....but it would be a stretch to indicate that Kondaurova "stars" in it!

Ross McGibbon was the film director of the 2006 Lopatkina film and, according to the above ad, is also the director of the new film. Gergiev was/is conductor of both.

p.s. The Mariinsky's own web still shows the opera Electra for Feb. 14. There are 3 perfs of Swan Lake scheduled in Feb (6th, 10th & 23rd), without announced casting, but these happen in the midst of preparations for/during the long-known filming of Romeo & Juliet (Vishneva/Schklyarov/Gergiev)...and commercial ballet filmings are a rarity.

p.s.s. Laura, what a great little film on Obraztsova's preparations for her Nikiya debut! I gives me goosebumps of joy. :)

The current scuttlebutt is that the upcoming 3D "Swan Lake" is apparently going to be a makeover of the most current 2006 Gergiev/Lopatkina/Korsuntsev performance already available on dvd. Yes - that's the live performance with the roving camera.

It was too good to be true. Katya Osmolkina has been replaced with Nastya Kolegova for the Jan. 23 "Swan Lake."

Volodya Shklyarov will dance Siegfried.

http://www.mariinsky...13/1/23/1_1900/

Fateev has invited former Mariinsky 1st soloist, now prima ballerina of the Dresden Opera Ballet, Natalia Sologub to

return and dance a subscription performance of "Cinderella" this Friday, January 18.

http://www.mariinsky...13/1/18/1_1900/

I have the greatest respect for Nastya Kolegova, as well as recent guest Maria Kochetkova (SF Ballet prima), and Natalia Sologub (yet another Mariinsky refugee). However, these outsourced acquisitions for what appears to be only one or two performances of regular rep. work, perfectly illustrates my point in a previous post in this thread. Fateev already has the talent depth in the company, but he chooses to ignore it and outsource opportunities that many have been waiting years for.